• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D*** it.... that is all.
    Millsy

Comment

• ZOOOOOOO!!!

What a game. I've been high on those Beavers all year, so it's tough to see them end their season (especially Kone, always one of my favorites). A shortened rotation is always tough, especially when you play against a team that generates lots of FTs like the Dragons.

As big as Zo's shot was, I wanna give kudos to Baumgartner for quickly and wisely passing back to McGhee, knowing Zo's pull-up shot numbers are much stronger than Gavin's (Gavin is a much better catch-and-shoot guy). The Dragons have always benefited from Baumgartner's on-court intellect.

Zimmer has been MSUM's most impactful player this tournament, which I don't think anyone would've predicted. Back-to-back 15 REB games, excited to see if that continues against Katona & Andrews.

Comment

• Great game by dragons finding a way at the buzzer. Bemidgi played very well. Tough loss for the Beavers.

Dragons will have to play better tomorrow as UMD is playing very well. They are a tough matchup when they are getting the ball in the paint. Dragons banged up a bit. Should be a fun one.

Comment

• No bid thievery in the NSIC this year.

Comment

• Congratulations to Coach Boschee and the 2022-23 Beavers. Great year and an outstanding run.

Comment

• MSUM is the better team and they won.

Comment

• Congratulations to Dragons on great win! That first half play was a thing of beauty. Bottle that effort up for the regional. Tremendous group of seniors leading this team. Tremendous team effort.

Comment

• Well alright, Dragons! Sometimes this team can just ratchet up the energy for entire halves, and they certainly did so in the first half last night. Great defensive intensity, hot shooting, and amazing effort.

The big stretch that gave me confidence going into halftime was when Gavin & Zimmer were on the bench with 2 fouls. Usually in those moments MSUM has Stanley-Williams play the 5, which works with his length. Instead they had to go small, even putting in Drew Hagen, who hasn't played real minutes since November. They were +7 in those last 7 minutes, getting probably 4 or 5 rebounds they shouldn't have without Zimmer. I give big credit to McGhee for keeping the offense afloat in those minutes, but also to Kaiser for getting some tough DREBs, and Hagen for filling in capably (and hitting a big 3, even if he got T'd up on it).

In the 2nd half, the Bulldogs got things going in the paint (credit to Andrews & Blair), and the Dragons fell into a bit of a funk offensively. It was a weird feeling, as a Dragons fan, thinking the game was so close to slipping away, but then I'd look down and realize, "Oh, they're still up 16." MSUM did a good job of stringing together enough plays on offense to keep the lead out-of-reach, and then hitting their FTs in the final minutes.

In the end, this game felt very similar to the first game against UMD in Duluth, where MSUM hit a ton of 3s early, switched well on D, and never really let the Bulldogs back into it. Beeninga didn't shoot well, but was still attacking the hoop. Gavin had his usual steady play, hitting 3s and pivoting on the block to find cutters/shooters. McGhee and Zimmer going 5-5 from 3 was such a pleasant surprise. Great hustle from Kinsey & Kaiser to step up when Zimmer was out. And Zimmer would've been my choice for tourney MVP, as we don't get any of our 2nd-chance opportunities without his effort on the class.

And doing this without 2 of your top 6 guys is even more surprising/impressive. To have great defensive intensity without your best defender (Myren) and hot shooting without your most consistent 3-pt shooter (Stanely-Williams) shows how talented this team is, and should give the Dragons confidence going into the national tournament.

Comment

• So, if you're looking for a replay of coach weick's outburst to Mark Riggs about Hilmer's trash talking, you won't find it in the archived game film on the NSIC Network. coach weick was so unhappy about it he demanded that they take it out of the game film and even got a lawyer involved. So if you go watch the replay, you won't see that.

Comment

• Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
                      So, if you're looking for a replay of coach weick's outburst to Mark Riggs about Hilmer's trash talking, you won't find it in the archived game film on the NSIC Network. coach weick was so unhappy about it he demanded that they take it out of the game film and even got a lawyer involved. So if you go watch the replay, you won't see that.
                      If true - not shocking. He’s a wannabe Coach Meyer with a lot of Coach Sather sprinkled in and it’s incredibly obnoxious. He has a long ways to go before being any of the two mentioned.

Before anybody comments - Sather also has a long ways to go to be Coach Meyer but at least has a personality that’s not a brick wall.

Comment

• Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
                        So, if you're looking for a replay of coach weick's outburst to Mark Riggs about Hilmer's trash talking, you won't find it in the archived game film on the NSIC Network. coach weick was so unhappy about it he demanded that they take it out of the game film and even got a lawyer involved. So if you go watch the replay, you won't see that.
                        I can never be entirely sure if you are serious or not, but this seems crazy. One, he agreed to be mic’d up so he shouldn’t be surprised when things are aired. I’m still surprised Midco showed it because you don’t usually get that type of clip. But more importantly I don’t think what he said was all that bad. Maybe it’s just because I’m no fan of Wieck or Hilmer, but I thought it was funny and pretty accurate. One thing is for sure, we won’t be seeing any more coaches mic’d up on Midco any time soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thunder View Post

I can never be entirely sure if you are serious or not, but this seems crazy. One, he agreed to be mic’d up so he shouldn’t be surprised when things are aired. I’m still surprised Midco showed it because you don’t usually get that type of clip. But more importantly I don’t think what he said was all that bad. Maybe it’s just because I’m no fan of Wieck or Hilmer, but I thought it was funny and pretty accurate. One thing is for sure, we won’t be seeing any more coaches mic’d up on Midco any time soon.
                          Right, it seemed childish for a coach to talk that way outside of some private discussion, but to say it was so bad we need a lawyer is just ridiculous...he has easily superceded Margs. Speaking of, when did he get so tame?

Comment

• Originally posted by Thunder View Post

Without knowing what the conversations were between coaches and midco (or nsic) before the tournament it’s hard to really comment. My guess is that the coaches were given some assurances from midco (or nsic) that clips like that one would not be aired. So I’m sure wieck was not happy when midco aired it. I’d say I don’t really blame him for being upset. I agree what he said wasn’t really that bad and is pretty regular banter between coaches and refs. Midco should not have aired that exchange regardless. If I were a coach that would be enough for me to say no thanks to wearing mic in future.

Comment

• One thing I find interesting about the whole mic'd up thing: 3 or 4 years ago MSUM had a series of videos where they mic'd up the coaches. In the one with Walthall, they included a brief & unremarkable conversation Walt had with an official. To my recollection, it was a calm ask about the lack of a foul call, and the ref explained his reasoning. It was not a contentious conversation, and it did not stand out in the piece (the ref also knew that Walt was mic'd up). Story goes that the NSIC commissioner asked MSUM to take the video down, saying that they don't want conversations between coach & official to be broadcast (fair enough).

Cut to 3 or 4 years later, and now the NSIC is cool with it on their biggest stage, with little or no time to review it before Midco airs it? I just think that's odd. I like the change in opinion, because I like mic'd up segments, but it seems inconsistent with their previous reservations about it.

Comment

• Been meaning to ask this for a while: Why are there four three-point lines at the Sanford Pentagon?

I would think there is need for only three: NBA, NCAA (men's and women's) and high school. Someone educate me, please.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X