Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big News in the MIAA...Tony Hobson at Ft. Hays Retires...

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big News in the MIAA...Tony Hobson at Ft. Hays Retires...

Wow...he was a great coach

https://fhsuathletics.com/news/2023/...asketball.aspx

Seems kind of shocking they never made the Elite Eight with four No. 1 seeds in the region.

Comment

Originally posted by LukeMcConnell1 View Post
      Seems kind of shocking they never made the Elite Eight with four No. 1 seeds in the region.
      Agreed. He did win 3 NAIA titles at Hastings College so I guess that makes up for it in a sense.

Comment

Originally posted by LukeMcConnell1 View Post
        Yes it does make one wonder why.

The posts I saw from fans thanked him for the best era of WBB at Hays.

Comment

Thank you Tony and enjoy retirement!

Originally posted by libertybearcat View Post

Yes it does make one wonder why.

The posts I saw from fans thanked him for the best era of WBB at Hays.
          He definitely created an amazing atmosphere, and there is a lot of interest in the WBB program in Hays. Went to look at attendance stats from NCAA. Most recent stats are last year's 21-22 season but average attendance top 5 in the nation:
          # games Total Attend Average Attend
          1 Ft. Hays 18 39,315 2,184
          2 Northern St 13 25,568 1,967
          3 Drury 16 21,961 1,371
          4 Emporia St 14 15,506 1,108
          5 Black Hills 11 12,085 1,099

What is crazy to look at here is:
          1. most home games of the top 5 all the way until #10 finally has more home games, so it isn't just a couple big crowds
          2. #4 in attendance is 1,000 fewer people per game
          3. FHSU would rank in the top 50 in Division 1 Attendance

Very similar stats year after year after creating the atmosphere here once he got to FHSU.
          Last edited by TigerAlum; 03-28-2023, 11:30 AM. Reason: Cleaned up the data by putting it into a table.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerAlum View Post
            Thank you Tony and enjoy retirement!

He definitely created an amazing atmosphere, and there is a lot of interest in the WBB program in Hays. Went to look at attendance stats from NCAA. Most recent stats are last year's 21-22 season but average attendance top 5 in the nation:
            # games Total Attend Average Attend
            1 Ft. Hays 18 39,315 2,184
            2 Northern St 13 25,568 1,967
            3 Drury 16 21,961 1,371
            4 Emporia St 14 15,506 1,108
            5 Black Hills 11 12,085 1,099

What is crazy to look at here is:
            1. most home games of the top 5 all the way until #10 finally has more home games, so it isn't just a couple big crowds
            2. #4 in attendance is 1,000 fewer people per game
            3. FHSU would rank in the top 50 in Division 1 Attendance

Very similar stats year after year after creating the atmosphere here once he got to FHSU.
            Was his retirement a surprise, or were there some rumblings from the Tiger family this was a possiblity?

Comment

In retrospect, the writing is there. in the coaching records that I can go back to (2010-11), Hobson has only had one asst coach (excluding GA's) until the 19-20 season, when GA Lunsford became an asst. coach alongside Kahrs.

Kahrs took over in the 12-13 season after Carrie Hofstetter (now Eighmey) moved onto Hastings College for their HC job. Eighmey would then take the UNK job in the 15-16 season.

Comment

He's 65, 66 but looks much younger. Coaching for 30+years takes a toll, especially with the tough MIAA battles and today's portal/AAU world. I'm sure he just got tired of the game but wanted to leave the cupboard full for his veteran assistant.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexTheHAMMER View Post
                  In retrospect, the writing is there. in the coaching records that I can go back to (2010-11), Hobson has only had one asst coach (excluding GA's) until the 19-20 season, when GA Lunsford became an asst. coach alongside Kahrs.

Kahrs took over in the 12-13 season after Carrie Hofstetter (now Eighmey) moved onto Hastings College for their HC job. Eighmey would then take the UNK job in the 15-16 season.
                  Hays, both men and women have always had one assistant until that year. I am sure a money thing in only having one assistant plus a GA (Not sure about the NCAA rule on coaches for d2 basketball, but some of these teams in the league have got a bunch of coaches on the bench). I don't believe a few years ago it was an add an assistant to get ready for retirement, more of a catch up with everyone else.
                  As someone else said he is in his 60s, has coached for 30 years. For all of us that is a career, including him.

You can listen to his commentary on it here to which he says he has thought about it for several years: https://hayspost.com/posts/6ebf0f97-...f-c468268340a3

Also from new coach: https://hayspost.com/posts/c4f75fcc-...a-fe0795688d64
                  Both of these are around 10 minutes.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X