Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2023-24 SMSU Mustangs: Restructuring the herd

At the close of the 2022-23 season, Coach Bigler talked about how the famed 5-year cycle was thrown off, just due to the nature of the COVID years messing up the timing of things. Then you add in a number of transfers, including a significant rotational piece in Majok Majouk. I was not optimistic about the upcoming season when some of those things leaked, but Bigler and staff have rebounded in a nice way. The incoming freshman class looks like its built with a few throwback style Mustangs. Four or five years from now, I think this freshman class will have some "dudes."

Along with that, they've hit the transfer portal to find a few guys who can fill in some holes. Kyle Luedtke, an Omaha grad transfer, will use his last year of eligibility to add some much-needed shooting to the lineup. We were looking at having the best returning non-Dunwa/Phipps 3-point shooter being Mason Lund (.333). Luedtke hit a career 39% of 3-pointers over his 4 seasons at Omaha (81 games). I'll wait to talk about the last transfer, since he hasn't announced it on social yet. But he'll add some frontcourt versatility as well.

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    At the close of the 2022-23 season, Coach Bigler talked about how the famed 5-year cycle was thrown off, just due to the nature of the COVID years messing up the timing of things. Then you add in a number of transfers, including a significant rotational piece in Majok Majouk. I was not optimistic about the upcoming season when some of those things leaked, but Bigler and staff have rebounded in a nice way. The incoming freshman class looks like its built with a few throwback style Mustangs. Four or five years from now, I think this freshman class will have some "dudes."

Along with that, they've hit the transfer portal to find a few guys who can fill in some holes. Kyle Luedtke, an Omaha grad transfer, will use his last year of eligibility to add some much-needed shooting to the lineup. We were looking at having the best returning non-Dunwa/Phipps 3-point shooter being Mason Lund (.333). Luedtke hit a career 39% of 3-pointers over his 4 seasons at Omaha (81 games). I'll wait to talk about the last transfer, since he hasn't announced it on social yet. But he'll add some frontcourt versatility as well.
    Have to give Coach Bigler his props, he knows how to develop players and get the most out of them. When one door closes as in Majouk another opens in Luedtke.

Comment

Optimistic it will work well. Brad and Nick really do a good job.

Underwood was a really good hire as well.

And for you Winona people, I am really impressed with Jen Flowers. She's pretty friendly and seems to have a good forward thinking head on her shoulders. As long as the President can stay out of her way I think she will do well.

As always funding is a huge issue for us.

We have a day of giving coming up and I am prepared to be completely underwhelmed.

Comment

Alumni game Saturday...the season is almost here!

Comment

Has anyone checked out the Stangs in the first two exhibitions? Last one tonight, then the action starts for real a week from Friday at Mo Western!

In other news, someone learned about steroids, or we know UCO blatantly inflates measurements....
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Stanger86; 11-01-2023, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Has anyone checked out the Stangs in the first two exhibitions? Last one tonight, then the action starts for real a week from Friday at Mo Western!

In other news, someone learned about steroids, or we know UCO blatantly inflates measurements....
            We play Drake in another exhibition on the 14th. Would be a fun one to see in person.

I'll likely go see them in Mankato for my first one of the year.

Comment

well the season is here. we start put with 2 tough games. could go 2-0. could go 0-2

in exhibition I was inpressed with Bryce Lund. He's a big key for a variety of reasons including 3's but also a 3rd scoring option. also need him to be a big time rebounder. love is effort and game

I was also impressed with Matt Thompson. He is going to be a player.

Mekhi Shaw has a chance to be great, a little small and not filled out, but fast. He will need to progress as the season goes on as Cliff plays so hard he is almost always in foul trouble.

We did not rebound very well in the exhibitions - if that doesn't improve, we will struggle,

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
                well the season is here. we start put with 2 tough games. could go 2-0. could go 0-2

in exhibition I was inpressed with Bryce Lund. He's a big key for a variety of reasons including 3's but also a 3rd scoring option. also need him to be a big time rebounder. love is effort and game

I was also impressed with Matt Thompson. He is going to be a player.

Mekhi Shaw has a chance to be great, a little small and not filled out, but fast. He will need to progress as the season goes on as Cliff plays so hard he is almost always in foul trouble.

We did not rebound very well in the exhibitions - if that doesn't improve, we will struggle,
                We are definitely a perimeter-oriented team this year. That will likely result in rebounding struggles.

I hope you're right about Thompson...I honestly know very little about him. Does his game remind you of any former Mustangs?

Comment

In two games, former Mustang forward Majok Majouk is averaging 2.0 ppg, 0.5 rpg, 0.5 apg (5.5 mpg) at Central Oklahoma.

Comment

Early signing period is a family affair!
                    Isaiah Schafer - 6'1" G from Bismarck, North Dakota (Taylor's brother)
                    Micah Schlaak - 6'8" F from Cedar Rapids, Iowa (Caleb's brother)

Comment

We are definitely a perimeter-oriented team this year. That will likely result in rebounding struggles.

I hope you're right about Thompson...I honestly know very little about him. Does his game remind you of any former Mustangs?
                      Cross between Chad Orum and Jeremy Van Klompenberg -- that Is what I see in Matt Thompson

Comment

In two games, former Mustang forward Majok Majouk is averaging 2.0 ppg, 0.5 rpg, 0.5 apg (5.5 mpg) at Central Oklahoma.
                        Grass is always greener !

Comment

Oh...

Comment

I’m a little in shock myself…

Comment

That ever happen before?

EDIT: They said over the intercom at the RA that it has not happened before.
                              Last edited by SW_Mustang; 11-11-2023, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X