Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016-17 Preseason Discussion Thread

Since the offseason is coming to a close as students begin arriving on campus for the 2016-17 school year, I figured we should start up a preseason thread to cover all of those important and significant events that will take place before the 2016-17 season officially starts on October 15th (or whichever date it is this year if I got that wrong).

Anyone have any exciting news from their respective programs yet? Surprise additions to your squad, surprise absences from the roster, or any other news of note? Just figured people could post here if anything interesting comes up between now and October. If not, oh well.

Re: 2016-17 Preseason Discussion Thread

One of my favorite things about the basketball season is games against D1 schools.

These are the D1 games for the three conferences relevant to this board.

NSIC:
    Bemidji State vs. Northern Iowa 10/28
    Bemidji State vs. Minnesota 11/3
    Wayne State vs. Creighton 11/4
    Augustana vs. Duke 11/4
    Concordia-St. Paul vs.
    Drake 11/5
    Sioux Falls vs. Iowa State ​11/6
    Wayne State vs. South Dakota State 11/16
    University of Mary vs. Nebraska 11/16
    Crookston vs. South Dakota State 11/30

MIAA:

Pitt State vs. Kansas State 10/28
    Central Missouri vs. Arkansas 10/28
    Pitt State vs. Oklahoma State 11/1
    Washburn vs. Kansas 11/1Lindenwood vs. Alabama-Birmingham 11/3
    Missouri Southern vs. Southern Illinois 11/3
    Central Missouri
    vs. Missouri 11/4
    Missouri Western vs. Texas Tech 11/4Washburn vs. Kansas State 11/4
    Emporia State
    vs. Kansas 11/6
    Washburn vs. Oklahoma 11/8
    Northeastern State vs. University of Tulsa 11/17
    Northeastern State vs. Stephen F. Austin 11/18

**Don't have schedules for Central Oklahoma, Lincoln
    **Northwest Missouri's site keeps crashing on me, it doesn't look like they have any D1 games

GAC:
    Arkansas Tech vs. Texas-San Antonio 11/7
    Henderson State vs. Arkansas State 11/5
    Southeastern Oklahoma vs. Texas-El Paso 10/30
    Southeastern Oklahoma vs. Oral Roberts 11/2
    Southeastern Oklahoma vs. Texas State 11/5
    Southern Nazarene vs. Wichita State 11/28

**Missing Ouchita Baptist, Arkansas-Monticello, East Central
    Last edited by SW_Mustang; 08-30-2016, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Wolves dismissed Jake Johnson, Paterka is a medical redshirt for the year...big things expected from Ian Smith and how will all the new big bodies mesh up in Aberdeen.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
        Wolves dismissed Jake Johnson, Paterka is a medical redshirt for the year...big things expected from Ian Smith and how will all the new big bodies mesh up in Aberdeen.
        Any further info on why Johnson was dismissed? I know some people don't like to discuss college kids' personal situations, which is totally fine, but sometimes the kid himself will post a message on Twitter/Instagram or the local paper will interview him or a coach or whatever, so I figured I'd ask. Probably not as easy to get the American News on it with Ryan Deal moving down to Mitchell, I suppose. Or do the Wolves have a new beat writer already?

Anyway, one less big body will probably help those NSU big men mesh a little bit, since they'll be competing a little bit less for more minutes. I'm guessing with both Evans and Doyle down low, the Wolves will be looking at more of a traditional frontline of two large, strong posts rather than going small ball. I'll be curious to see how that works for them. Should lead to a good matchup or two with SMSU, if anything.

I'll be curious about Smith as well. There's really no shortage of good guards in the league this year, with Spencer/Beyer at Augie, Kretchmann/Lien at Moorhead, Mack Johnson at USF, Mankato's multiple D1 and solid D2 transfer guards (along with Cole Harper), the Bruggeman kid the SMSU fans are pretty high on, Stone/Davis at SCSU, and potentially Bambenek/Gray at WSU if they get back to their full potential from a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
          One of my favorite parts about the basketball season is the exhibition games played against D1 schools. I'll chronologically organize these later today, but this is everything I dug up.

Concordia-St. Paul vs.
          Drake 11/5
          Wayne State vs. Creighton 11/4
          Wayne State vs. South Dakota State 11/16
          Augustana vs. Duke 11/4
          University of Mary vs. Nebraska 11/16
          Bemidji State vs. Northern Iowa 10/28
          Bemidji State vs. Minnesota 11/3
          Crookston vs. South Dakota State 11/30
          Sioux Falls vs. Iowa State ​11/6
          This is a good call. Really not any "bad" teams on this list as far as the D1s go. Interestingly, neither the Wayne game nor the Crookston game is an exhibition for SDSU (although I'm sure they are for both Wayne and Crookston). Drives me crazy that SDSU will throw Wayne and Crookston on their schedule as "real" games, but not schedule Augie or any other non-bottom-of-the-conference NSIC school.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
            This is a good call. Really not any "bad" teams on this list as far as the D1s go. Interestingly, neither the Wayne game nor the Crookston game is an exhibition for SDSU (although I'm sure they are for both Wayne and Crookston). Drives me crazy that SDSU will throw Wayne and Crookston on their schedule as "real" games, but not schedule Augie or any other non-bottom-of-the-conference NSIC school.
            We had the same issue with USD and SDSU, what once was a fun college basketball rivalry died when D 1s have nothing to win but everything to lose with a loss to a lower level school in the same state none the less. I wish the state of South Dakota would do what wrestling started doing....just a one or two day showcase where you square off against other squads in the state. THAT would be some good revenue and something for Sufu to consider.

Comment

Two Northern related questions:

1. Is Johnny Dahl still joining the Pack, because I don't see him on the current roster.

2. Is the self-proclaimed "Juice Man" color blind?
              http://nsuwolvesathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=780

Comment

We had the same issue with USD and SDSU, what once was a fun college basketball rivalry died when D 1s have nothing to win but everything to lose with a loss to a lower level school in the same state none the less. I wish the state of South Dakota would do what wrestling started doing....just a one or two day showcase where you square off against other squads in the state. THAT would be some good revenue and something for Sufu to consider.
                I think watching Northern vs. SDSU would be a sweet matchup myself. Lots of people would show up for that one.

We're fortunate on this side of the border, the Gophers usually play 1-2 NSIC teams every year regardless of talent.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                  Yeah, it's a solid line up of games. I'm hoping to catch Augie vs. Duke, hopefully it will be broadcast somewhere.

How does that even work? Wayne/UMC both have the games listed as exhibitions, but SDSU doesn't. That seems one-sided to me if that's true.

In any case, it is sad that SDSU won't take on Augie or another top-tier NSIC team. I'm sure they just want to pad their wins a little bit. Kinda sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                    Two Northern related questions:

1. Is Johnny Dahl still joining the Pack, because I don't see him on the current roster.

2. Is the self-proclaimed "Juice Man" color blind?
                    http://nsuwolvesathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=780
                    I wonder if there is a redshirt in play for Johnny, I will try to find out. Juice Man AKA Master Papa spent some years on the west coast away from his Midwestern roots...I'm sorry for this.

Also, NSU does have a guy on Wolves athletics named Cuyler Meade (@CuylerMeade_aan) who has been doing an incredibly impressive job so far, IMO

Comment

I believe it was said on the Northern thread that Jake's dismissal had to do with something on the team Costa Rica trip.

Comment

Last edited by MoHoops; 08-30-2016, 03:31 PM. Reason: Oops

Comment

Nothing much to note over here, granted I'm not the most in-touch basketball fan.

Looking at the schedule though, it looks like I get to watch the defending national champions on my birthday. I'm pretty excited!

Also, I decided to update the D1 list with all 3 conferences relevant to this board. I used schedules from team websites, and not all were posted there. I don't really plan to monitor the list at all, but I'll gladly make changes to it if anyone can think of anything.

Comment

We had the same issue with USD and SDSU, what once was a fun college basketball rivalry died when D 1s have nothing to win but everything to lose with a loss to a lower level school in the same state none the less.
                            Both stopped scheduling SMSU as well. Had played SDSU 5 straight years from 09-13, but not since. Haven't faced USD since 08.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                              Nothing much to note over here, granted I'm not the most in-touch basketball fan.

Looking at the schedule though, it looks like I get to watch the defending national champions on my birthday. I'm pretty excited!

Also, I decided to update the D1 list with all 3 conferences relevant to this board. I used schedules from team websites, and not all were posted there. I don't really plan to monitor the list at all, but I'll gladly make changes to it if anyone can think of anything.
                              I'm glad you're excited, but I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that this Vikings squad won't look all that much like last year's team. Of course, if you're excited about watching the Blue Devils piledrive the Vikes into the hardwood for 40 minutes or so, it will certainly be entertaining. :)

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X