X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016-17 Preseason Discussion Thread

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
    Don't tell that to Marganthaler.
    Or Reimerthaler (copyright Augieholic), who currently has more D1 transfers on his SCSU roster (6) than Margenthaler does on his Mankato roster (5). Total transfers (counting Mankato's JUCO kid), it's 6 for each team.

Comment

I'm curious to see how our new JUCO kid does. Other than a couple depth guys, we haven't gone the JUCO route since DeAnthony Zanders.

Comment

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
        Don't tell that to Marganthaler.
        I'm not saying it can't be done simple, I'm saying that it's more of a challenge.

Also, Matt Margenthaler has also had some players that he and his staff have recruited out of high school turn out to be some of their better players. I'm talking about teams that get about 50-75% of their teams out of JUCO/D1 transfers.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
          Or Reimerthaler (copyright Augieholic), who currently has more D1 transfers on his SCSU roster (6) than Margenthaler does on his Mankato roster (5). Total transfers (counting Mankato's JUCO kid), it's 6 for each team.
          Mavs have 3 D1 transfers. The other two transfers are D2 (Missouri Southern and Missouri Western). And of the 6, 4 are seniors (Fuqua was a junior last year).

Numbers aside, I was wondering how many transfers (over the years) were initially recruited out of high school? Doesn't seem like a bad strategy to me if the kid goes to a decent D1 program and brings something he wouldn't have acquired if he had gone straight to D2.

Comment

Originally posted by njmav1 View Post
            Mavs have 3 D1 transfers. The other two transfers are D2 (Missouri Southern and Missouri Western). And of the 6, 4 are seniors (Fuqua was a junior last year).

Numbers aside, I was wondering how many transfers (over the years) were initially recruited out of high school? Doesn't seem like a bad strategy to me if the kid goes to a decent D1 program and brings something he wouldn't have acquired if he had gone straight to D2.
            Good point. I just looked at the "previous school" column, and forgot that those two were D2s. At the same time, it sort of illustrates my point even more as far as how many D1 transfers Reimer is bringing in.

That being said, I don't really see why the fact that they're seniors matters to this part of the conversation, so I'm wondering if I'm just missing the point you were trying to make in emphasizing that or if you were simply pointing it out as general information.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
              That being said, I don't really see why the fact that they're seniors matters to this part of the conversation, so I'm wondering if I'm just missing the point you were trying to make in emphasizing that or if you were simply pointing it out as general information.
              I brought it up in response to Toucan's comment comparing the GAC to the NSIC. I think most of us would rather see transfers with 2 or 3 years of eligibility rather than a single season. Three of those transfers Margenthaler brought in this year are one and done. I don't know if he's rolling the dice this year or giving him the option to red shirt the incoming freshmen (considering the number of players from last year's squad who decided to not come back).

Comment

Originally posted by njmav1 View Post
                I brought it up in response to Toucan's comment comparing the GAC to the NSIC. I think most of us would rather see transfers with 2 or 3 years of eligibility rather than a single season. Three of those transfers Margenthaler brought in this year are one and done. I don't know if he's rolling the dice this year or giving him the option to red shirt the incoming freshmen (considering the number of players from last year's squad who decided to not come back).
                Ahhhh, gotcha. That makes sense now.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X