Clear All

Re: Div. II Arena Appreciation/Discussion

Originally posted by sportsvine View Post
    Chadron State College.

How old is Chadron's facility?

Comment

Originally posted by nwstew84 View Post
      I've always thought that Municipal Auditorium in Kansas City would be a great place for the D2 Elite 8. But with what Sporting Park pulled last year on the D2 Football championship I doubt that the NCAA will be giving anything to KC for awhile
      Considering that (1) the MIAA tournament is held at Municipal and (2) the issues with the football title game was with the MLS soccer club based in Kansas City, Kan. and not the city of Kansas City, Mo., I don't think what Sporting Park did to the NCAA would be held against Municipal if the MIAA and/or KCMO submitted a future bid for the Elite Eight.
      Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
        Somebody will have to correct me if I am wrong, but I believe USF has used the arena in the past for one-off home games. In addition, they've hosted NAIA tournaments, D2 Volleyball National Championship, at least one NBA game, and the Sioux Falls Skyforce claim it as their home court. Certainly a worthy entry to the thread!

The D2 title game last year was a complete sellout. I live 90 miles from SF, and I couldn't get a ticket for anything. I think I even heard somewhere that people were trying to charge $200+ for them. The venue was way too small to host Northern.
        USF only plays at the Pentagon for the NSIC tournament, but did play in one of those early season MIAA-NSIC showcases there in 2014.

Love the facility however. Have some great memories from the NSIC tourney there... The men's 100 point shootout with Augie in the quarters. The women's run to the tourney title in 2016. And probably my favorite memory was USF basketball's first Pentagon conference run in 2014 when the women (who were sub-.500 in the regular season and overall strugged all year) made the semi's after being with a big upset of No. 1 WSC in the quarters. The 3-pointer that forced OT in that game (by now SMSU head softball coach Bailey Bowman), sat on the rim for what seemed liked forever before dropping in.
        4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
        2016 NSIC Champions
        🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
          Considering that (1) the MIAA tournament is held at Municipal and (2) the issues with the football title game was with the MLS soccer club based in Kansas City, Kan. and not the city of Kansas City, Mo., I don't think what Sporting Park did to the NCAA would be held against Municipal if the MIAA and/or KCMO submitted a future bid for the Elite Eight.
          It has already hurt them in other sports in other divisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Otis Day View Post
            USF only plays at the Pentagon for the NSIC tournament, but did play in one of those early season MIAA-NSIC showcases there in 2014.

Love the facility however. Have some great memories from the NSIC tourney there... The men's 100 point shootout with Augie in the quarters. The women's run to the tourney title in 2016. And probably my favorite memory was USF basketball's first Pentagon conference run in 2014 when the women (who were sub-.500 in the regular season and overall strugged all year) made the semi's after being with a big upset of No. 1 WSC in the quarters. The 3-pointer that forced OT in that game (by now SMSU head softball coach Bailey Bowman), sat on the rim for what seemed liked forever before dropping in.
            That must be what I was remembering. Thanks for the clarification!

I've never been to any of the basketball arenas in Sioux Falls - unless we count the Sanford Premier Center, I was at a wrestling show there in July. Everything I've seen online makes the places look pretty nice, to varying degrees of course.

Comment

Comment

Also really like this facility at Lincoln Memorial

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
                  How old is Chadron's facility?
                  This is, I think the fourth year in the new arena (Chicoine Center). This year, the arena has a new giant video board. The is seating, as you can see, seating on 3 sides (there is a wall behind the camera). This facility is actually housed in the same building as the old Armstrong gymnasium.

It pales to many of the arenas throughout this thread, but it really is a great facility for our small college in our small town.

The arena has never been close to being filled, but this year's team is very competitive, unlike all of the past few years. The seats might start filling in once people around town get word they they actually have a pretty decent college basketball team in town this year.

Comment

University of Alaska Anchorage - Alaska Airlines Center

Probably one of the best arenas in all of D2. Not sure how to post pictures, but this link to the architect's page has several including one of the running track around the top of the arena.

http://www.bbfm.com/ak-airlines-center

Comment

• Re: Div. II Arena Appreciation/Discussion

Watching Missouri Western play at SBU last night reminded me - the Meyer Sports Center is a pretty nice facility. It was completely renovated, maybe 10 or 15 years ago. Can't find a lot of images of the arena interior.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob_AK View Post

Probably one of the best arenas in all of D2. Not sure how to post pictures, but this link to the architect's page has several including one of the running track around the top of the arena.

That's really cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob_AK View Post

Ding, ding, ding... I think we may have a winner. That place is awesome! Looks like a great place to watch a concert too!

Here's some more http://alaskaairlinescenter.com/about/photos
                          Last edited by Alfred33; 02-22-2019, 02:43 PM.

Comment

An older Gym that is a great Arena for a Basketball game is Midwestern State's Ligon Coliseum.

https://msumustangs.com/facilities/?id=1

Comment

Originally posted by Casual_Observer View Post
                              An older Gym that is a great Arena for a Basketball game is Midwestern State's Ligon Coliseum.

Great facility - when we played Midwestern in the football playoffs in '06 we visited the arena.

Comment

Originally posted by Casual_Observer View Post

Yeah that place looks awesome. Are the hoops attached to the facade of the upper level seats? Love how the spectators are very close to the court, love that there is an upper level that looks close to the court. Is the section behind the camera symmetrical to the other side? If so, then this is the real "ding ding ding". Ironic that this was posted right after the AK-Anchorage gym.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X