Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Div. II Arena Appreciation/Discussion

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    I can upload a few for you if you'd like.
    Sure. Thanks.

Google KCAC IUP Basketball. Several will come up.

thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Sure. Thanks.

Google KCAC IUP Basketball. Several will come up.

thanks again.
      This place? Wow! I bet it gets loud in there. Really cool!

I'm not sure if this is any help, but:

Right Click Image>Select "Copy Image Location">Click "Insert Image"*>Paste the link>Click "OK"

*It's the square box in the "Quick Reply" bar that has the little image of the tree.

Comment

Southwest Minnesota State's R/A Facility in Marshall, MN. Not much to say about this place other than that it's home, and I'm sure it gets rocking when the stands are full.

Much like football, we actually have two gyms. This is the other one, used until the above opened in 1996. It is one of the original buildings on campus. I'm sharing this for the historical aspect, however basketball games can and have taken place here since the opening of the newer arena. To my knowledge, the last game played here was a loss against Michigan Tech in 2012.
        I did see basketball games there in March for the wheelchair tournament.

I used to drive to Marshall on Wednesday nights to see NIC games in the old gym since MSU would play Friday/Saturday.

Comment

Thanks. It can get loud when filled up but unfortunately that doesn't happen too often.

It has a lot of amenities including a bar. Seating is about 4,000 and it has a Hilton about 30' from the front door.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            Thanks. It can get loud when filled up but unfortunately that doesn't happen too often.

It has a lot of amenities including a bar. Seating is about 4,000 and it has a Hilton about 30' from the front door.
            Yeah... same here unfortunately, although we do get a decent crowd. We have to compete with area high school basketball.

Anyway, that's a pretty impressive building. I'll have to check out more PSAC buildings.

Comment

California-Pennsylvania

Comment

That's different. Is it currently just primarily used for basketball or does it double as a performing arts center?

Based on the height of the bleachers, I bet there's not one bad seat in that place.
                It's a city-owned multipurpose building, so a lot of stuff besides basketball.

I haven't been there in a few years, but back in the day when Emporia and Missouri Western were fighting for the MIAA crown in women's hoops, the place rocked. You couldn't hear yourself think. You can kind of see in the first picture they have bleachers on the floor level, and there is not a lot of room between the bleachers and the floor.

Comment

Yeah... same here unfortunately, although we do get a decent crowd. We have to compete with area high school basketball.

Anyway, that's a pretty impressive building. I'll have to check out more PSAC buildings.

The PSAC is a huge basketball conference (18 teams). Too damn big, actually. For the most part, a lot of the gyms are the old-style 'gyms'.

IUP and California built these big arena's. Cal actually seats about 6,000. Gannon has a very old but historic gymnasium. They do have some chairbacks on one side. In fact, at one time, it was said Gannon was the toughest venue in America to play in ... it's very cramped with low ceilings. They had an incredible following in the 80s and early 90s. It was deafening in there. West Chester also has a nice facility. Clarion is in the midst of a major renovation. A few, unfortunately, resemble high school gyms.

Comment

I've never been there, but from pics I've seen, Drury's O'Reilly Family Event Center in Springfield, MO looks really nice. It's clean and modern and has that arena feel, but not so big with so many seats that they'd all be sitting empty. Again, I guess that's an assumption that they have some draw.

Comment

I decided to go through some recent D2 champions/runners up and see what arenas they have.

Multipurpose Building - Central Missouri

Kellogg Gym - Cal-Poly Pomona

Joe Retton Arena - Fairmont State

Comment

This is a peculiar arena I forgot to post about from my conference.

MSU Dome - Minot State University, Minot, ND.

The arena is notable for it's size - it seats 10,000 people. It sports a video board that is 19 x 33. I checked and it seats more people than the Scheel's Arena (NDSU) and the Betty Engelstad Center (UND) - combined.

Interior:

Exterior:

I found this too and I thought it was amusing.

This is the article I got it from - pretty interesting.

https://cnansen.wordpress.com/catego...eral-interest/

Comment

Simon Fraser:

Can't forget about the Bearcats of Northwest Missouri State...

Tarleton State:

Comment

Rockhurst

Comment

Arkansas Tech - Tucker Coliseum

The Dome can be deafening.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
                                Arkansas Tech - Tucker Coliseum