Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Div. II Arena Appreciation/Discussion

Originally posted by laker View Post
    Thanks for coming through for me laker! I totally forgot about it.

I was outside Eastman recently. The building looks really nice these days. I heard it was kind of a dump back in the late '80s, but the building sure looks cool now.

Comment

• Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
      Re: Div. II Arena Appreciation/Discussion

They've hired architects to develop renovation plans for Lamkin. Funding, timeline, etc. is TBD.
      I've seen some artist renderings of what the renovation would look like. Best example I can think of is St. Joseph Civic Arena just on a smaller scale. New seats, open concourses, possible suites/coaches offices overlooking the court, new video scoreboard.

Just have to find the $$$.

Comment

• When the current Kentucky Wesleyan Campus moved to Owensboro around 1950, the cafeteria above the current library was built for basketball games or for practice. When you walk up the steps into the cafeteria, you get a feeling that it was a gym at one time by the way it is configured. The Sportscenter was built in 1949. So, I am not sure if they ever played any games outside of the Sportscenter. Link to Sportscenter photos over the years, including current photo: https://www.google.com/search?q=Imag...pC7Z3xM:&vet=1
        Last edited by alumnifan; 09-10-2019, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by alumnifan View Post
          When the current Kentucky Wesleyan Campus moved to Owensboro around 1950, the cafeteria above the current library was built for basketball games or for practice. When you walk up the steps into the cafeteria, you get a feeling that it was a gym at one time by the way it is configured. The Sportscenter was built in 1949. So, I am not sure if they ever played any games outside of the Sportscenter. Link to Sportscenter photos over the years, including current photo: https://www.google.com/search?q=Imag...pC7Z3xM:&vet=1
          Here's the image.

I really like the space, but the drop ceiling is a little odd. It would look a lot better without it.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Here's the image.

I really like the space, but the drop ceiling is a little odd. It would look a lot better without it.
            I agree, but changing it is cost prohibitive and a drastic change to the facility. It hasn't changed much, other than the flooring, since it was built and many consider it sacred in it's current condition. It feels like it did years ago in really competitive big games. I hope the attendance increases this season, I think it will. However, to be in that facility, with that drop ceiling and a big crowd - usually means a pretty hectic and exciting game. I have been in the Sportscenter when you couldn't hear yourself yell, not often because I have a pretty loud and obnoxious voice. The fold up seats on the stage are for students and the band. It would be nice to hear a good band this season. The student section use to be behind the bench, and the band played near the bench on this side of the gym.

Comment

• Originally posted by alumnifan View Post

I agree, but changing it is cost prohibitive and a drastic change to the facility. It hasn't changed much, other than the flooring, since it was built and many consider it sacred in it's current condition. It feels like it did years ago in really competitive big games. I hope the attendance increases this season, I think it will. However, to be in that facility, with that drop ceiling and a big crowd - usually means a pretty hectic and exciting game. I have been in the Sportscenter when you couldn't hear yourself yell, not often because I have a pretty loud and obnoxious voice. The fold up seats on the stage are for students and the band. It would be nice to hear a good band this season. The student section use to be behind the bench, and the band played near the bench on this side of the gym.
              Oh, for sure. It just caught me off guard a little bit - that's all. I love the layout and it looks to be a really intimate facility. It's always cool when small arenas can still achieve a "big" feel.

A little "PTSD" as well - I used to sell drop ceilings and they were an absolute nightmare to close on if the person didn't have experience with them, which was most people.

Comment

• Alaska Airlines Center on the campus of University of Alaska Anchorage
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• That's very impressive! I forgot about Anchorage.

Here's their counterpart - Fairbanks' arena.

Comment

• Did I post San Bernardino's yet?

Comment

• Well, Southern Indiana had their home opener last night for the men's team with the new arena. Pretty awesome atmosphere in there. Capacity of 4800, reported crowd of 3000 last night against our old rival KWC. Student section (behind band) was packed, and even the upper tier was partially filled.

Comment

• Man that's awesome.

Comment

• I will contribute my alma mater, University of Indianapolis. Nicoson Hall is nice with the upgrades of the last few years, but it is still rather dated. Not to mention, in Indiana, most middle schools have similar gyms. IMG_0003.JPG

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                            Re: Div. II Arena Appreciation/Discussion

It was just announced today that Augustana will be playing all conference games at the Sanford Pentagon next season, while non-conference games will remain on-campus at the Elmen Center. It's a 10 year deal.

I'd hoped to see a game at the Sioux Falls Arena. I thought it had a unique look. It wasn't meant to be though - with the nasty January/February we had weather-wise, there was no way I was going to attempt to make it down to Sioux Falls.
                            The Pentagon is pretty dope: https://www.sanfordpentagon.com/about

The Arena was good too, but I definitely prefer games at the Pentagon to the Arena.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

The Pentagon is pretty dope: https://www.sanfordpentagon.com/about

The Arena was good too, but I definitely prefer games at the Pentagon to the Arena.
                              I have been meaning to visit it for a few years now - I drove out there on my last trip to Sioux Falls to find it. I was planning on making the title game with NSU, but tickets sold out almost immediately.

What was wrong with the Arena? I've heard most people dislike it - and it's most likely going to be demolished in the next few years.

Comment

• The Harlem Globetrotters will be playing at the 3,000 seat Rex Pyles Arena (Alderson Broaddus University).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X