Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridgeport to CACC

University of Bridgeport is leaving the ECC for the CACC. The UB announcement includes this interesting paragraph.

UB will join 12 other member schools in the CACC for the 2022-23 campaign, including Bloomfield College, Caldwell University, Chestnut Hill College, Dominican College, Felician University, Georgian Court University, Goldey-Beacom College, Holy Family University, Nyack College, Post University, Thomas Jefferson University and Wilmington University.
    University of the Sciences is not mentioned. We've known about the merger into Saint Joseph's but it had been unclear as to what would happen with Sciences athletics. I have not found any official announcement so maybe today's news is how we learn what will happen.

https://ubknights.com/general/2021-2...20211213ngwsnj

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
    University of Bridgeport is leaving the ECC for the CACC. The UB announcement includes this interesting paragraph.

University of the Sciences is not mentioned. We've known about the merger into Saint Joseph's but it had been unclear as to what would happen with Sciences athletics. I have not found any official announcement so maybe today's news is how we learn what will happen.

The Bridgport announcement including a list of CACC members but NOT UScience is interesting. Wonder if the NCAA stepped in to forbid having two scholarship programs at different campuses or if it is a cost cutting move by St Josephs?

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

The Bridgport announcement including a list of CACC members but NOT UScience is interesting. Wonder if the NCAA stepped in to forbid having two scholarship programs at different campuses or if it is a cost cutting move by St Josephs?
      Nothing I have read about the merger indicates losing athletics at Sciences is a cost cutting move.

Comment

Nothing I have read about the merger indicates losing athletics at Sciences is a cost cutting move.
        Then the only alternative is that the NCAA said no. Check that, I guess the reason could be St Joseph's just saying, we don't want to.

Comment

The US DEVILS MBB are having a hell of an awful 2-6 season thus far so my guess is some sort of typo.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

The US DEVILS MBB are having a hell of an awful 2-6 season thus far so my guess is some sort of typo.
            Not saying it's not a typo (although I don't think it is), but even if it is, I doubt it has anything to do with their record!

Comment

Not saying it's not a typo (although I don't think it is), but even if it is, I doubt it has anything to do with their record!
              Only meant that their MBB team seems to be, for the time being, alive and kinda kicking. Sorry.

Comment

We now have a statement from Sciences.

Consistent with NCAA regulations, USciences has formally notified the NCAA that its 12 intercollegiate teams will be discontinued effective May 31, 2022.�

Comment

We now have a statement from Sciences.
                  So, I guess NOT a typo.

Interesting that UScience (St Josephs) is of the opinion that NCAA Regulations do not permit them to have two separate intercollegiate athletic programs at two different campuses.

Comment

With USciences dropping sports as part of its merger with St Joe's, that leaves 13 members of the CACC. I wonder how many more ECC (or even NE-10) schools will be changing leagues in the next year or two.
                    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

So, I guess NOT a typo.

Interesting that UScience (St Josephs) is of the opinion that NCAA Regulations do not permit them to have two separate intercollegiate athletic programs at two different campuses.
                      I wonder if the difference is that the separate programs are in different divisions. That's essentially what happened when Long Island University merged their D1 program at Brooklyn with their D2 program at the CW Post campus in Nassau County, with the combined LIU program now fully in D1 (football and a few other sports at CW Post campus, basketball and others based in Brooklyn, but under the unified LIU athletics department).

I'd suspect the reason the PSAC merged campuses/triads are keeping their separate programs is because all of the affected programs are in the same division.

Then again, trying to figure out NCAA logic probably requires a PhD in Rocket Science...
                      Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

I don't believe athletic division has anything to do with it; it's how the institution is accredited. Everything at Sciences will be accredited through Saint Joseph's. It looks like each merged PASSHE institution will retain its own accreditations. I haven't bothered to look in a while but in the case of Long Island University to my memory they only merged the athletics departments while the campuses at Post and Brooklyn remain separate institutions.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X