Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He domino effect

I posted this on the GLIAC as well

So I have been participating on a thread in the GLIAC fourm I believe and there have been some interesting comments that lead to a much bigger and crazier thinking to the possible addition of Ashland.

It would appear that Ashland could be in the catbird seat as they have the option of staying put, moving to the GMAC, or perhaps moving back to the GLVC. There are multiple reasons for why they should stay and why they would go to this conference or that conference but it does raise an interesting predicament.

What if the GMAC does take in NDC and or Urbana? What will the MEC do? Will the WV schools be vulnerable? Or will the MEC be proactive and see where this is going and start their own little expansion?

What about the GLIAC? If Ashland bolts, do they make a run at UINDY? Do they make a run for other Illinois GLVC schools? What at our Bellarmine? I guess one could speculate that both UINDY and Bellarmine are in the drive seats as well as they could do a couple of moves that would help them.

What about the GLVC? Will they focus on keeping the Far East schools or focus more on the W Illinois/ Missouri teams?

Listen this is just me throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks. All of this is true and all of this is one big pile of shat. It occupies both spaces. It lends itself to some very interesting and lively discussion for sure and I wouldn't doubt at all if I get zero of this correct. Thoughts?

Re: He domino effect

Originally posted by UFSwimDad View Post
    I posted this on the GLIAC as well

So I have been participating on a thread in the GLIAC fourm I believe and there have been some interesting comments that lead to a much bigger and crazier thinking to the possible addition of Ashland.

It would appear that Ashland could be in the catbird seat as they have the option of staying put, moving to the GMAC, or perhaps moving back to the GLVC. There are multiple reasons for why they should stay and why they would go to this conference or that conference but it does raise an interesting predicament.

What if the GMAC does take in NDC and or Urbana? What will the MEC do? Will the WV schools be vulnerable? Or will the MEC be proactive and see where this is going and start their own little expansion?

What about the GLIAC? If Ashland bolts, do they make a run at UINDY? Do they make a run for other Illinois GLVC schools? What at our Bellarmine? I guess one could speculate that both UINDY and Bellarmine are in the drive seats as well as they could do a couple of moves that would help them.

What about the GLVC? Will they focus on keeping the Far East schools or focus more on the W Illinois/ Missouri teams?

Listen this is just me throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks. All of this is true and all of this is one big pile of shat. It occupies both spaces. It lends itself to some very interesting and lively discussion for sure and I wouldn't doubt at all if I get zero of this correct. Thoughts?
    As far as the GLVC, I can't see Ashland rejoining at all. They are way too far east now. Indy and BU are the furthest east and they are a long way from Ashland. Be much more likely that BU and Indy would join the GMAC with Ashland than GLVC. I can't say what Indy might be thinking but I don't see BU leaving the GLVC unless it were to go to D1 (which I definitely wouldn't like!) Now if Indy and USI were to leave the GLVC than BU would definitely move somewhere but I am not sure if it would be GMAC or D1. BU decides to leave GLVC, I think it would become an all Missouri/W. Illinois conference.

As far as the GLIAC, I think logically if they were to move on GLVC teams, it would be Lewis and Parkside. Although do either of them have football? I think the GLIAC would be looking football first. Indy might be an option but not sure they would want to make the move to a northern conference.

Comment

Where's this GLIAC forum? Never knew why there was not much representation from the GLIAC on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightStalker View Post
        Where's this GLIAC forum? Never knew why there was not much representation from the GLIAC on this board.
        Football... Super Region 3

Comment

He's referring to the GLIAC football boards (each football conference has their own sub-forum).
          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

As far as the GLIAC, I think logically if they were to move on GLVC teams, it would be Lewis and Parkside. Although do either of them have football? I think the GLIAC would be looking football first. Indy might be an option but not sure they would want to make the move to a northern conference.
            Neither Lewis nor Parkside sponsor football. There had been rumors about Lewis looking into starting a football program, but those rumors seem to have died down a lot.

Comment

Replying to the whole thing....

If Bellarmine and UIndy leave, I think the GLVC becomes Illinois/Missouri (UWP is not far from the Illinois state line).

Ashland isn't interested in the GLVC. The GLVC is moving away from them, and the school that was formerly closest to them is D1 now. Ashland to UIndy is the shortest trip for them right now, and it's kinda long for a shortest trip. GMAC makes the most sense.

Also, it's unlikely that the GLVC is interested in Ashland; their expansion focus is to the west. How much interest did they show in PUNW?

I'd personally like to see UIndy in the GLIAC over the GMAC, but that's because I'm more familiar with those schools than most of the GMAC. It doesn't mean such a move actually makes sense for either.

I could see a kind of general reorganizing of the region, with Ashland and Bellarmine going to the GMAC, UIndy going to the GMAC or GLIAC, Lewis and UWP going to the GLIAC, and USI going to the Missouri Valley or Horizon (part of the line of dominoes from Wichita State going to the American). This would make the GLVC more compact and give their Eastern schools more natural rivals.

I'm not sure that it all falls like this. But it's plausible enough for me. Of course, so are other things....

Comment

All of this speculation is nice, but I can tell you that less than 2 years ago, both UIndy and Notre Dame turned the GMAC down. This comes from a very good source who knows what is going on. Urbana doesn't meet the new criteria set forth by the GMAC, so they won't be getting an invite any time soon either. I can tell you also that the GMAC has reached out to the other 3 private schools in the MEC. Not sure if any of them entertained the idea, however the only chatter that has been passed my way was that Wheeling was considering it because of their financial struggles.

Comment

Originally posted by D2 Sports Fan View Post
                  All of this speculation is nice, but I can tell you that less than 2 years ago, both UIndy and Notre Dame turned the GMAC down. This comes from a very good source who knows what is going on. Urbana doesn't meet the new criteria set forth by the GMAC, so they won't be getting an invite any time soon either. I can tell you also that the GMAC has reached out to the other 3 private schools in the MEC. Not sure if any of them entertained the idea, however the only chatter that has been passed my way was that Wheeling was considering it because of their financial struggles.
                  Interesting developments. Granted, it was two years ago, and clearly a lot has changed since then (I'm sure the GMAC reaching out to UIndy and NDC was before the Ohio GLIAC schools and Hillsdale joined the league). Did it sound like they were dead set against making the move, even if the GLIAC schools made the switch?

Comment

It was also before St. Joseph's announced it's closure.

Comment

Agree, interesting info but a lot can and has changed since then.

Comment

I've been getting a lot of Facebook Live updates from one of the Pittsburgh stations that, for reasons I'll never understand, is tracking the impending birth of a baby giraffe (yes, seriously); a sort-of "Baby Giraffe Watch" as it were.

I can't help but think that these rumors about what Ashland will do in the coming seasons are starting to reach that point. Who knows how long this "Ashland Watch" will drag on...

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                          I've been getting a lot of Facebook Live updates from one of the Pittsburgh stations that, for reasons I'll never understand, is tracking the impending birth of a baby giraffe (yes, seriously); a sort-of "Baby Giraffe Watch" as it were.

I can't help but think that these rumors about what Ashland will do in the coming seasons are starting to reach that point. Who knows how long this "Ashland Watch" will drag on...
                          I really don't expect any news before the end of June. Hope the giraffe doesn't wait that long.

Comment

Originally posted by D2 Sports Fan View Post
                            Couple of questions here...

1. What G-MAC criteria does Urbana not meet? Not doubting the words of the OP, just curious.

2. How does moving to the G-MAC help WJU with financial issues? Is this so they wouldn't have to start FB? Again, just curious and hoping to spark some commentary.

Comment

It was two years ago, but it was after all of the GLIAC schools had decided to switch (and announced that they would switch). There was a thought that Notre Dame was coming and that Indy was the one on the fence. Neither school was dead set against it. Heck, at one the schools coaches were telling everyone that they thought for sure they were making the jump.

Urbana doesn't meet the "Not for Profit" criteria the GMAC associates themselves with. Since they were bought out by Franklin, they are now a "For Profit" institution. I'm not sure that they fit the "have a tie to a religious affiliation" either. As for Wheeling...they believe that to compete in the GMAC in most sports, not all...that they wouldn't have to fund their athletic scholarships budget as much as they do to be competitive in the MEC.

As for St. Joe's closing...not sure how that would effect Notre Dame saying no, but I can see why UIndy might have a change of heart. For what it is worth, IMO, now that Tiffin is making the jump, I can't help but see Ashland soon following (from my understanding, they have pretty much an open invite). That would make the GMAC 14 schools. If UIndy has a change of heart, you would be looking at 15. If those 3 join, I can't see Trevecca sticking around...so then you're back down to 14...who will be the other 2 to make a 16/15 team league? My guess would be one of these combinations...Notre Dame/Wheeling; Gannon/Mercyhurst; Cumberland/Georgetown; WV Wesleyan/Charleston...the interesting part of this one would be...Charleston has no religious affiliation as well. Also, the last one would never take place as long as President Welch is still at UC.

There's some more to chew on...thoughts???

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X