Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: He domino effect

Originally posted by D2 Sports Fan View Post
    It was two years ago, but it was after all of the GLIAC schools had decided to switch (and announced that they would switch). There was a thought that Notre Dame was coming and that Indy was the one on the fence. Neither school was dead set against it. Heck, at one the schools coaches were telling everyone that they thought for sure they were making the jump.

Urbana doesn't meet the "Not for Profit" criteria the GMAC associates themselves with. Since they were bought out by Franklin, they are now a "For Profit" institution. I'm not sure that they fit the "have a tie to a religious affiliation" either. As for Wheeling...they believe that to compete in the GMAC in most sports, not all...that they wouldn't have to fund their athletic scholarships budget as much as they do to be competitive in the MEC.

As for St. Joe's closing...not sure how that would effect Notre Dame saying no, but I can see why UIndy might have a change of heart. For what it is worth, IMO, now that Tiffin is making the jump, I can't help but see Ashland soon following (from my understanding, they have pretty much an open invite). That would make the GMAC 14 schools. If UIndy has a change of heart, you would be looking at 15. If those 3 join, I can't see Trevecca sticking around...so then you're back down to 14...who will be the other 2 to make a 16/15 team league? My guess would be one of these combinations...Notre Dame/Wheeling; Gannon/Mercyhurst; Cumberland/Georgetown; WV Wesleyan/Charleston...the interesting part of this one would be...Charleston has no religious affiliation as well. Also, the last one would never take place as long as President Welch is still at UC.

There's some more to chew on...thoughts???
    I just read a post by an Ashland alum that says the alumni and athletic dept, specifically the football team, are dead set against moving. Admin is the opposite, looking at the lower cost of travel of they move to the GMAC. Take that for what it's worth.

Also, in regards to NAIA schools. I think that ship had sailed.......for the time being. If we are looking for a school(s) to announce within the next few months, I wouldn't think we would hear about an NAIA school since we haven't heard anything on that front. Now if the thinking is joining the GMAC in say 18-19 then maybe it's a possibility. Also, I think everything right now hinges on what Ashland decides to do. If they join then then would the GMAC move toward adding NDC, assuming they have changed their stance or would we be a bit worried that by adding them, that may open the door for the WV teams to move? If Ashland joins, would that interest UINDY even though I have zero reason to believe that they would be interested? Same for Bellarmine. I am beginning to think that the best move would be to possibly locking up the WV private schools. As much as I wish for more IN and KY expansion, much of what I have expressed has just been shear speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by D2 Sports Fan View Post
      It was two years ago, but it was after all of the GLIAC schools had decided to switch (and announced that they would switch). There was a thought that Notre Dame was coming and that Indy was the one on the fence. Neither school was dead set against it. Heck, at one the schools coaches were telling everyone that they thought for sure they were making the jump.

Urbana doesn't meet the "Not for Profit" criteria the GMAC associates themselves with. Since they were bought out by Franklin, they are now a "For Profit" institution. I'm not sure that they fit the "have a tie to a religious affiliation" either. As for Wheeling...they believe that to compete in the GMAC in most sports, not all...that they wouldn't have to fund their athletic scholarships budget as much as they do to be competitive in the MEC.

As for St. Joe's closing...not sure how that would effect Notre Dame saying no, but I can see why UIndy might have a change of heart. For what it is worth, IMO, now that Tiffin is making the jump, I can't help but see Ashland soon following (from my understanding, they have pretty much an open invite). That would make the GMAC 14 schools. If UIndy has a change of heart, you would be looking at 15. If those 3 join, I can't see Trevecca sticking around...so then you're back down to 14...who will be the other 2 to make a 16/15 team league? My guess would be one of these combinations...Notre Dame/Wheeling; Gannon/Mercyhurst; Cumberland/Georgetown; WV Wesleyan/Charleston...the interesting part of this one would be...Charleston has no religious affiliation as well. Also, the last one would never take place as long as President Welch is still at UC.

There's some more to chew on...thoughts???
      If I'm not mistaken, Lake Erie is a private, not-for-profit college with no direct religious affiliation. Tiffin also has no religious affiliation as best as I can tell.
      Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

The term the G-MAC schools have been throwing around is "Faith Based." AB really, no longer, has an official "Affiliation," either, but we are still a faith based institution. I think the real keys to the like minded-ness is Small, Private, Not-for-profit.

Comment

Central State was neither private or faith based. Of course they are no longer in the conference but that was their choice, not the conference's. My point being, I think the conference "small, faith-based, private" etc basis is a guideline, not a requirement per say. That said, now that we're stable in membership, being more stringent on those guidelines is certainly more feasible.

Comment

Originally posted by kwcpantherfan View Post
            Central State was neither private or faith based. Of course they are no longer in the conference but that was their choice, not the conference's. My point being, I think the conference "small, faith-based, private" etc basis is a guideline, not a requirement per say. That said, now that we're stable in membership, being more stringent on those guidelines is certainly more feasible.
            I could see more of an emphasis on "small" and "private" as opposed to strictly being faith based per se. At least that's how I'm seeing things, but the G-MAC is probably in a good position to be more selective about which schools join the league compared to when the league first began.
            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X