Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2016-2017 Kentucky Wesleyan basketball thread.

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016-2017 Kentucky Wesleyan basketball thread.

This link shows you where KWC was ranked on March 1, 2016.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d2

Regardless of any of the preseason rankings, Wesleyan is going to be a top 8 team this season. How far they go is up to the players and especially the seniors in Bosley and Jacks. This is by far the most talented front court the Panthers have had. If you look at that ranking KWC is in from last March, you will see Lincoln Memorial's ranking and how they finished the season.

I agree that a good showing at the Ford Center is critical for momentum for this Wesleyan basketball team. They need to win both games, and if they do they will be nationally ranked quickly. I really believe Bellarmine and Wesleyan are the favorites in the Midwest Region, and one of the two will probably host it. However, Wesleyan has to win those big games and they need to take care of business on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by alumnifan View Post

Regardless of any of the preseason rankings, Wesleyan is going to be a top 8 team this season. How far they go is up to the players and especially the seniors in Bosley and Jacks. This is by far the most talented front court the Panthers have had. If you look at that ranking KWC is in from last March, you will see Lincoln Memorial's ranking and how they finished the season.

I agree that a good showing at the Ford Center is critical for momentum for this Wesleyan basketball team. They need to win both games, and if they do they will be nationally ranked quickly. I really believe Bellarmine and Wesleyan are the favorites in the Midwest Region, and one of the two will probably host it. However, Wesleyan has to win those big games and they need to take care of business on the road.
      Would not discount the GLIAC entries so quickly. SVSU is going to be very good again this season even with losing 5 seniors. They were extremely deep last season and had the luxury of redshirting some very talented players. Ferris State had quality depth and some very good young players as well who got a lot of experience last season and they are extremely well coached. Michigan Tech is my sleeper out of the GLIAC as they were extremely young last season and played everyone tough.

Would not discount Parkside either. Bigs last year were very good for being so young. They are one guard away from being really good again this year.

Comment

Jordan Jacks named to DII Bulletin Preseason All-American honorable mention

http://www.kwcpanthers.com/news/2016...px?path=mbball

Comment

Originally posted by alumnifan View Post

The biggest factor is going to be how we do early in the year against the strong teams that we play. If we don't win the majority of those games against the likes of LMU, USI, Mich Tech, Winona St., Hillsdale, Truman (if we do end up matched up with those last two in our tourneys) then we're going to be down to the auto-bid again. If we make it to January undefeated, then yes we will have a pretty strong case to make in terms of at least being in the discussion for hosting, but at the same time we're one bad loss away from dropping right back down again.

I feel like if we make it through the regular season with more than 3 losses then we are probably not going to be in consideration for hosting. More than 4 or 5 losses and we're not getting in unless we take the auto bid. That's just the reality of our schedule for this year.

Our schedule this year is stronger...but still not that strong. We've got the big hill to climb again this season, but next year we should get some relief from that with the added teams in the league like Findlay and Hillsdale which will immediately add to our conference SoS.

Comment

I think we have a much better future than you. when your 3/4 best player makes n AA list you should be pretty good. I agree early is key and no let down in the G-MAC.

Comment

When I stated that this year's front line would be the best KWC has had, I meant since the National Championship era. Wesleyan can go six deep at the 3, 4, and 5 spots. Hatton and Jacks will play the three (probably). Jacks will play the four at times. I have to believe that his and Bosley's play this season will go to another level. I think KWC could pick up a loss against Lincoln Memorial, but for now I would call that game a toss up. It would be a great momentum boost if they could win that first game, and the coaching staff knows that. That's why going into the Classic at the Ford Center should be their early focus, because the rest of the season could hinge on their success in those games. If Wesleyan beats Lincoln Memorial, there will be a big crowd there for the USI game.

Comment

I think all of the teams in that Small College Basketball Hall of Fame Classic will have played in some large exhibition games. So, I don't see any team intimidated by the crowd. However, a large contingent of fans from KWC would really help.

Comment

I hate to see W kids get their head beat in game after game. Having said that if that is the price for having a top basketball team I am all in 100% for BB.

Comment

Originally posted by Looking For 9 View Post
                    I hate to see W kids get their head beat in game after game. Having said that if that is the price for having a top basketball team I am all in 100% for BB.
                    As for football, I think the schedule they are playing this year is on one hand a little unfair to the players, especially the seniors, because they have little to no chance to win most of the games and know it going in (playing D1 teams, etc). On the other hand, I do see that it might be good experience and really serve to toughen them up for the next few years when they'll be competing in a conference that is going to legitimately have some very good D2 teams in it. OH Dominican, Findlay, AB - those teams are very solid so maybe it will do us some good to play higher level competition and be prepared to come out stronger next season when we have a full conference to compete in.

Frankly, the schools joining next year do more to legitimize the football conference than they do the basketball, though basketball will benefit significantly as well of course.

Comment

Agree Going to big schools and being on the internet is not all bad. Football scores do not always show how well players have played. Having six or seven play well is just not enough to get a win.

Comment

When in the world are season tickets going to go on sale? Looking forward to getting new floor seats behind the KWC bench and joining the PAF.

Comment

I've always been positive before the season starts. I was extremely positive about Happy's first season, until I saw how many players dressed for the first home game of the season. That was the angriest I have ever been with a KWC team, and that goes back to 1981. I'm glad KWC made the NCAA tournament last season. It would have been nice to have played UWP in the Sportscenter once before that tourney in Wisconsin. We lacked in the front court last season. KWC has also lacked good guard play at times. Cardell McFarland is the best point KWC has had since the National Championship era. Anthony Young was the best front court shooter. That was a good tandem on the court when they could get along.

To say KWC was not good last season is just ridiculous. Also, there is no hyperbole in my saying that this is the best front court KWC has had since the national championship era. I don't have to see them to know this, and I think they will have a rocky start since KWC lost seven seniors last season. They do get thrown in the fire pretty quick at the YUM center in Louisville. YUM should be almost at capacity for that game after last season's game. The same goes for the WKU game.

I think they will open the season with confidence, and I think the USI v. KWC game will be attended well. I've seen standing room only crowds at the PAC and the Sportscenter. If they advertise this Classic well, it will be well attended. The Evansville Sports Corp. should be at work doing that. They are the organization that put this whole Small College Basketball Hall of Fame together.

Comment

Here is the KWC roster, for those who will click on a KWC roster link:

http://www.kwcpanthers.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball&

Comment

Will Malik Harris be eligible to play in exhibition games? I know he can't play until second semester for games that count

Comment

Originally posted by Purplebuckeye View Post
                                Will Malik Harris be eligible to play in exhibition games? I know he can't play until second semester for games that count
                                No

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X