Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2016-2017 Kentucky Wesleyan basketball thread.

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016-2017 Kentucky Wesleyan basketball thread.

Means more than zilch but not much more. it is still nice to see good play rewarded. happy just has to keep their focus. For those that have inked Ws next to Oakland City games don't be surprised by how well O C plays and how hard they are to put away. Our size and bench should win for us but they have some talent and will play very hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Purplebuckeye View Post
      Can someone explain to me why the regional rankings are not in line with the national poll?? Ex last year seeding.
      Regional rankings take into account the full body of work that a season produces, including things like strength of schedule, records against common opponents, road records, etc., while the national polls pretty much are a lineup of win-loss records - taking little of that other stuff into account.

One other big difference is the starting point. Regional rankings by the NCAA begin with a blank slate. National polls always start with a skew towards teams that have "been there before." Every year, there's 1-2 teams that most people agree should be in the coaches' poll top-25 but just can't get recognition because their name isn't big enough, or because they aren't a perennial power. With regional rankings not debuting until so late in the season (two weeks before the conference tournaments begin), it gives time for those full body of work numbers to play out a bit and give a more accurate depiction of who the best teams in the region are. Also, at the lower levels, it's nearly impossible to determine who should really be ranked higher in a national poll -- Fort Lewis at #16 or Kentucky Wesleyan at #17, for example -- since they play vastly different non-conference and conference schedules.

Now, that said, coaches LOVE the national polls because they help with recruiting and do a good job of getting a team's name out there. It's not often that a team is IN the top-25 that doesn't deserve to be there, it's more the case that some teams are left OUT that might.

Comment

Originally posted by Purplebuckeye View Post
        I realize that , my point is that it should. It should be consistent.
        Now this is not the official regional rankings but the DIISIDA does a regional poll along with the national poll. Here is yesterday's ranking:

Midwest Region
        Rank School (First Place Votes) Record Points Prev.
        1 Bellarmine (3) 16-3 30 3
        2 Southern Indiana 18-1 27 1
        3 Ferris State 15-3 24 4
        4 Wisconsin-Parkside 15-3 21 2
        5 Kentucky Wesleyan 16-2 18 6
        6 Findlay 14-4 15 7
        7 Quincy 16-4 11 5
        8 Truman State 15-4 10 8
        9 Drury 13-4 5 NR
        10 Lake Superior State 10-5 30 9

The regional poll is done by 3 media directors from the region. Some of the other regions have 6 SIDs on the committee but for some reason the Midwest only has 3. I think it is somewhat close to what the Regional Rankings would be if they were out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          The easy answer is because the national poll means nothing. It is essentially something for message boards to talk about and argue. It has no effect on the regional rankings.
          Is IUP in the NABC poll? My understanding is these polls are pretty accurate. Coaches vote, right? They're not morons.

Comment

Originally posted by Looking For 9 View Post
            For those that have inked Ws next to Oakland City games don't be surprised by how well O C plays and how hard they are to put away. Our size and bench should win for us but they have some talent and will play very hard.
            Happy will determine how many points KWC beats them by. They will stomp Oakland City in both games.

Comment

Wow! Over 500 people for the KWC game at Oakland City. I knew there was no way OCU would have a chance in this game. Wesleyan shot just over 60 percent from the field, and put six players in double figures. The KWC women's team also beat OCU.

Comment

I just saw USI beat St. Joe in 3 OTs. Naturally their idiot fans are upset with another win. I think it shows KWC is getting better and the teams like USI and Bellarmine are getting worse, Bellarmine barely beat a bad Indianapolis team. St. Joe is awful, USI is coming back to earth, KWC just keeps rolling and getting better. Bring on the regional, Panthers are ready.

Comment

KWC's win at Michigan Tech looking even better now, Michigan Tech is 9-3 in the GLIAC and is the hottest team up there. They have won 5 straight and play Ferris State tomorrow. If they beat Ferris I have to think KWC is a lock to be a 3 seed based on our win at Michigan Tech.

Comment

Must win G-MAC tourney to even get in. And yes if they win 8 seed is wrong wrong!! First focus on winning out.

Comment

Must win G-MAC tourney to even get in. And yes if they win 8 seed is wrong wrong!! First focus on winning out.
                      We'll find out where we stand when the first rankings come out mid February. I feel like our body of work is stronger this year. Not GLVC strong, but stronger than last year.

Comment

I agree but if you look at current wins over teams with winning records/losing records there is not as much difference as you might think. As GLVC teams continue to play that will change for some but so will loses for others. I have heard it said that loses late in the season mean more than those early.

Comment

I agree but if you look at current wins over teams with winning records/losing records there is not as much difference as you might think. As GLVC teams continue to play that will change for some but so will loses for others. I have heard it said that loses late in the season mean more than those early.
                          Just curious, who you heard that from? Credibility?

Comment

Talk to your SID

Comment

Talk to your SID
                              No credibility there.

Comment

The KWC game today will not be as well attended as others, because Kentucky is live on game day all day today.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X