Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2016-2017 Kentucky Wesleyan basketball thread.

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016-2017 Kentucky Wesleyan basketball thread.

Go Wesleyan!

Re: 2016-2017 Kentucky Wesleyan basketball thread.

I'm a USI fan and graduate, but I love Division II college basketball. I am hoping the rivalry with Ky. Wesleyan begins this season with the game here in Evansville. Good luck to the Panthers in the GMAC, would love to see USI and KWC back among the elite of college basketball!

Comment

We all agree with you and as long as you sound sane you are welcome to comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Looking For 9 View Post
        We all agree with you and as long as you sound sane you are welcome to comment.
        I'll try to sound as sane as any college basketball nut can do!

Comment

Starters, role players, shooters, rebounders?

Comment

From people who have attended practice:

Everyone 6'8" really has talent. 5 is going to be a strong with two players that shoot and have a good handle.

There is no doubt that this is Bosley's team. he like a coach on the floor and driving home what it means to wear a W uniform. Several did not realize the history and what an honor it is to wear the purple.

Some worry about the early games that will be very tough.

Weakest area is PG the guy Happy wants to start has not played much PG in college. Filly working hard with him. Good news is if we have the lead all the guards ,we put on the floor, have very good handles and can knock down free throws.

Lots of blocks that turn into fast breaks in practice. We are bigger faster better shooters than any team Happy has had.

Comment

We definitely appear to be very deep. I thought we were pretty deep last year to some degree, but very much moreso this year. I guess the biggest difference is we are deeper in the post positions now, which should really help us.

Obviously Bosley and Jacks will be starters. The other three could be any number of combinations - and probably WILL be a number of different combos at least in the early part of the season. MY biggest question is still "Who do we dress and who do we keep in reserve and/or redshirt?" Several of the guys that are probably lower on the depth chart have already had redshirt years, either at KWC or prior to coming here. So that begs the question whether we'll redshirt someone like Elkins, who by all the accounts I have heard sounds like he should be ready to suit up and get some good minutes immediately as a freshman ... or if we'll have 2-3 guys that are considered reserves and lose eligibility because they can't redshirt.

I'm not too worried about the PG position since you've got Bosley out there to run the show, even if he's doing so from the off guard position. As long as the guys that play the point are good ball handlers and can lead the break and break the press we should be A-OK on that front.

Comment

From what I hear you are right on about Happy matching the other team.

I think Happy will dress those on scholarship plus Stanford. I think practice and attitude will determine who dress from walk on group. I think Nelson has the highest up side so it maybe him a bunch.

Any other year Cotton would play a bunch but it going to be hard to get him minutes. There will be, crossing my fingers, some games where Happy will be coaching
                to get next years team ready. He has a bunch of underclassmen that need to play together. If the big guy from NY starts Cotton could replace him some. There will not be many off the bench centers that can get a clear shot with Cotton guarding them.

I expect the high scorer, in some games, to come off the bench. Same for rebounds and assists.

It is good Harris is setting out the first of the year. Reports are he is great on one end of the floor but use to playing too many zones and pick up games. He is quick and long and will learn about W basketball while sitting.

Comment

We have really good PGs. Issues are two are 5' and one does not score and one has not played it much. I will be watching several PGs that will be playing on 500% teams hoping they know how much they screwed themselves. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Looking For 9 View Post
                    We have really good PGs. Issues are two are 5' and one does not score and one has not played it much. I will be watching several PGs that will be playing on 500% teams hoping they know how much they screwed themselves. :)
                    I am not trying to be critical, but I do not understand the above post. Repeata, por favor.

Comment

PGs have a good history of leading teams either in HS or JUCO but each has a weakness that keeps them from being as solid as i would like. Two are small and can be posted up. One is a very good leader but did not have to score in JUCO so he is not use to being a threat to score ie a complete player. One played 2 guard the last three years. Not use to running a team. I think we will be fine but Happy will have to be careful not to stick with one too much. Our 2s,3s,4s will be as good or better than anyone we play. PG is our weakest area.

We offered to several PGs. One fell in love with girls that he met on campus and signed on the spot. One wanted to play D1 so bad he is going to prep school. One did not want to study and was scared of the demands of going to class. One thought Owensboro was too hick for him. Okay maybe he had a point :) All will be playing on a losing team. Prep school could be a good D2 but not D1 and nothing will change that.

Mostly I am sick of kids bowing down to D1 and having a less than great college experience. 780 transfers this year alone.

Comment

Foster and bosley will take care of the ball. I would play ken-jah at the point.

Comment

I agree Bosley will have the ball a lot. However we do not want to wear him out this year. Foster is working with Filly overtime on PG skills. Like I said before we have good PGs but they do not match up with every team as well as I would like. If we have the lead we can put players on the floor that can handle and hit free throws. This has not always been the case.

Comment

Quote from USI thread "dud dud dud dud dud dud dud dud dud"

Comment

Told you Ron Geary wouldn't be renovating SC cause it wouldn't be feasible to do so...its my profession and having been in SC more than I care to remember I've seen my share of the dilapidated facility. Why in the world the Owensboro big shots even thought for a second it would happen is beyond me. What a waste of time and resources wasted on this idea. Now they're not even playing in the boro, how do you feel about your messiah now??? I remember the wise wisdom clear as day, "Geary is a smart business man and he will save the SC and boro"! LOL!!! And he has backed out of the restaurant and gambling facility too!! This will leave a stain for awhile.
                              Last edited by glvcpro; 09-30-2016, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X