Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA Restructuring

Originally posted by tsull View Post
    Thanks, Brandon, for the props. I would disagree with the statement that D1 needs more teams. They have 355 of them and I'd argue that 100 of them are just pretending, hoping to win their tiny conference basketball tournament and get in the Big Dance, lose by 40 in the first round and collect a paycheck. They bring nothing else to the table and rarely qualify for anything in any other sport.

I'd put heavy standards to make D-1. You shouldn't be like New Jersey Tech and go 0-31 in hoops, play in a tiny gym in front of nobody and say you're D-1. That's insane. All these schools moving up -- Central Arkansas went 8-23 in hoops last year and averaged 1,300 at the gate. How is that D-1?

Let's put it this way: Would you want 60 MLB teams? No. Why? Because your talent pool gets diluted and pretty soon your product stinks. I watch a lot of D-1 basketball and a lot of it is bad, really bad. Move those teams down and you see D2 get better and the elite players on the small D-1 schools transfer to other schools that are staying up, making that division better. I live in the Northwest and am familiar with a lot of the programs there. Gonzaga -- yes, national runner-up -- has 4 guys on their bench, who frankly would not start for my D2 alma mater, Western Oregon. They are awful. D-1 has benches like this all over. It's a fraud.

How to you enforce it? Well, like football used to enforce it with stadium sizes and attendance, though a lot of schools (see Idaho ... in my hometown) faked their way into FBS. Portland State has a 1,500-seat gym and averages 550. Why should they be D-1? Sac State is the same, a gym so small they would not have been able to host their conference championships. They were worried a couple years ago that they might host and they were going to have to put up portable bleachers in their rec center. That's D-1? (They eventually didn't win the league ... they average around 500 a game.)

D-1 hoops: Arena of 4K minimum; average 1,500 a game. You can't do this, you're sent down. Crank up the football a bit: 25K stadium minimum; average 18K at the gate. A lot of these D-1 A.D.'s just collect a check, don't market or build their program. There's no incentive to get better, they're D-1.

I'd start kicking people down, make D-1 better, make D2 better. People will whine, sure. Be better, quit sitting on your duff and waiting for CBS basketball money to kick in. Do something to excel. If not, go D2 or just cut sports.

I'm serious.
    Good idea. I actually think this discussion needs to "think outside the box." Why just 3 divisions? I favor a High School type model with 4 or 5 divisions in sports, especially basketball. With 1,100 NCAA schools it might work out to around 200 in each division. D1 - big schools with big budgets (Power conferences, etc), D2 - big schools with small budgets (current lower D1 and big state-schools D2), D3 - medium schools with medium budgets, D4 - small schools with medium budgets, D5 - small schools with small budgets.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
    Working...
    X