Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Kentucky Wesleyan Basketball

Or they could give him extensions and raises hoping that after 10 years maybe they can make a postseason run.

Comment

If you become known as the school that only gives a coach 2 or 3 years, who is going to want to coach there?

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
        If you become known as the school that only gives a coach 2 or 3 years, who is going to want to coach there?
        Ask UK and UNC. No reason KWC not top third of gmac by year 3 in mbb all things considered.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Silky Panties View Post
          Ask UK and UNC. No reason KWC not top third of gmac by year 3 in mbb all things considered.
          That is really raising the bar for an 8 time National Champion. KWC won previous G-MAC championships and Happy's best teams would have mopped the floor with this one. This is not what I expected, but it makes no difference what I think. Supposedly, he was vetted thoroughly and everybody loved his integrity. Hip Hip Hooray! By the middle of next season everyone can make up their mind. I think the last home game attendance was a little over 500. I know that sounds cruel and I understand this coach is doing the best he can, but I just don't see him winning at Wesleyan. His SCHOLAR ATHLETES maybe great students, or not, I don't know. The brass at Wesleyan hates my guts now anyway. I am just an old school fan and alum. I like seeing the Sportscenter full and Wesleyan winning.

The women's basketball team is having a stellar season. More people should come out and support them.
          Last edited by alumnifan; 02-12-2019, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Not sure why you keep bringing up the NAIA. Cooper has never coached in the NAIA, and KWC has no intention of dropping to the NAIA.

If we have no improvement (or very limited improvement) over the course of 3 seasons then absolutely we should be out shopping. We're not quite through 1 season yet, so all of this talk is premature.

Todd Lee went 7-19 and 13-14 in his first two seasons. Granted, we were on probation and the program was pretty well decimated when he took over. I'd argue that the state of the program after last year's debacle wasn't much better than what Coach Lee inherited, but that's just an opinion. In year 3, Coach Lee's team went 24-8 and lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament. In fact, the first 4 NCAA games played under Coach Lee were first round losses. Finally, in his 7th season he won 2 NCAA games and ultimately lost to Bellarmine (at Bellarmine) in the regional finals. The NEXT year, Coach Lee decided he would be moving on to GCU before the GLVC tournament started, and mailed it in, losing in round one to Wisconsin Parkside in a game where he stood on the sidelines with his arms crossed the entire game (the first and only time I ever felt he had no interest in what was going on on the court while he was at KWC).

The year after THAT, enter Happy Osborne. He inherited a program that was moving to a new, underwhelming conference. He inherited an already mostly full roster, though there were a few defections which, combined with a late start on recruiting led to a lack of depth in the first season. He went 22-9 that season with a schedule that was extremely weak in terms of the level of competition. He followed that up with a 22-8 record against equally weak competition. In year 3, however, the team went 27-4, won our first G-MAC title, and earned a bid to the NCAA tournament against the #1 seed Wisc-Parkside (a loss, but a respectable loss). Then, in what would essentially be his final year, Happy led the team to a 28-3 record, a perfect G-MAC season (against a somewhat stronger, but still not very strong league), and an extremely disappointing loss against Quincy in the NCAA tournament. *edit: Disappointing in that we all felt that we were deserving of a higher seed, and that we should have won against Quincy, but came up just short in the end.

So...the saga of our last 2 coaches. Moral of the story, at least for me, is that it is not unreasonable to expect a couple of years of floundering when there's a regime change. NOR is it unreasonable to expect to start realizing some level of success starting with season 3 of a coach's tenure.

I was always supportive of the job Happy Osborne was doing up until that final season (which, to be fair, can we blame him for the debacle when he was gone for health reasons?) because each season there was obvious improvement being made on the court. You can say the same about Todd Lee's teams for the most part.

Comment

Our record should be better. We lost some games we should have won. We are missing two players that we counted on to bring in rebounds and some points.
              I am not happy with our rotation always changing but we have seen that almost every player that gets minutes can help win games. We just need to show some smarts and allow things to jell.

Enjoy what the WBB team is doing and be proud. Softball/baseball will follow and who knows about football. Most important we are sending many good men and women ready to take on the world.

Comment

Sorry about that NAIA deal. I have been on a lot of drugs lately. My doctor thinks being 56 and having never married makes me sort of unhealthy. She is probably right or I could have gotten married and she could have killed me in my sleep. So, everything works out in the end. Go Panthers!

Comment

• http://www.d2football.com/forum/show...04#post2351604

This is just one of those seasons where being upset does no good. I get that. So, I am cool from now on.

Comment

Wesleyan got a much needed win at Malone against a pretty decent team. Deng Mayot helped this KWC team tonight. Adam Goetz and Tyler Bezold helped carry the Panthers with both scoring in double figures. Goetz is a great player, and Bezold has been a favored player of mine and he showed why tonight. Abu Arisha led the field with ten rebounds. Statistically, this game was not supposed to go to KWC, but they played some good defense and hit the shots they needed. So, good for the Panthers!

Comment

It's one game. One win. That being said we NEEDED it. And I don't even mean that from a post-season chances perspective, though that's true as well, but we needed it badly for morale and hope for the future.

We came into this game riding a 5 game losing streak. But every single one of those 5 games, and really you can extend this back to the Ohio Dominican loss as well, were very much winnable games. We were right there in all of them but just couldn't get over the hump and keep the other team from pulling away. The biggest spread in any of those games was 19 against a top 20 Findlay team, and that one felt like a much closer game than the final score indicates. And this one almost went that way, too. We were down 10 with 9.5 minutes to play, but immediately rattled off a 10-0 run to tie it back up, which is something we've not shown the ability to do up until now.

So it feels really good to see the guys pull this one out. It's only one game, one win...but hopefully it's a sign that we are figuring things out and next year will see some major improvement.

Comment

It is not an easy gym to win in as the women can point that out tonight. I was a little surprised, but if a team starts playing harder and working harder games like this happen. So, good for KWC. This game maybe the turning point for some more wins this season. Their P.I. is about as bad as it has been in a long time. However, they can move up in the P.I. and should a little bit with this win.

Comment

If the G MAC does not get better officials for WBB players are going to get hurt. I have seen no call after no call as girls get hammered.

Comment

Deng Mayot not dressed for the game at Walsh, wearing a sling on his right (I think) arm. Only natural that we'd have another key injury as soon as we win a game.

Comment

Wasnt pretty, but never mad to see a win. Thankful for Hopewell and the way he hustles. Without him, the game probably ends differently

Comment

Really nice to see this Saturday's game have some meaning. AB
                                AB's wins and loses seem to be determined by their three point shooting freshman. We proved tonight how good we are at defending a three point shooter.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X