Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well it is at least a start! I also count 4 on the wbb team, but 1 was to graduation and I heard the Martin girl isn't playing ball anymore. That leaves just 2 transfers, but your synopsis of the incomers is highly encouraging. With the core the wbb returns, I still think they can be really good.

Comment

• The new wbb players fill a need (rebounding/size) that has been missing over the years. We will be bigger stronger than past teams. I would like to see Martin return and get her degree. My guess is that she will go else were and get it.

Comment

• Roster has been updated with some bios for the returners and all pictures are up, excluding the team pic. I'm assuming it will be up in the coming days. Looks like the boys got new home uniforms which I'm sure they are excited about. Everything I'm hearing has been positive. Energetic practices and great chemistry seem to be what keeps coming up. We're only 27 days from the first exhibition...I'm excited!

Comment

• Coop has a full plate of players. If other teams are scouted well he should be able to match up with size or speed. We lost games in the second half last year this year should much different.

I do worry about the start of the season we may have loses piled up before we get a win.

Comment

• Now we have a team pic!

Comment

• Nice to see no braces and some growing biceps

Comment

• Yeah there was definitely some weight room growth this off-season!

Comment

• I have questions: Are the new centers (including Smith) better than Moe?

Comment

• I'm not in a position to directly answer your question, however my thoughts indirectly are thus: Mo is not a natural post player. He's got the body of a power forward but he has more of a small forward / wing mindset. He was definitely not comfortable playing down low as much as he had to last year. He did improve down there, and he does have many of the skills but not as much the mindset. Smith and Sasha are natural centers. I don't know if they have the same or better technical skill level as Mo down there, but they are certainly going to be comfortable. AND they definitely have the height for it.

So, my GUESS is: YES they are going to be better than Mo, at least in terms of playing in the post.

My other (educated) guess is that our post defense should be much improved this year, especially in terms of altering and blocking shots. At 7'2" even if Smith just stood flat footed and put up his arms he's going to be difficult to shoot over. And what little I have heard/read about him from his WKU days seems to indicate that he should be an active presence, not just a flat footed arms up pole standing there. But we shall see!

Sasha Sukhanov, meanwhile, looks to be a very athletic 6'11" center. He's got the look of a Dakota Quinn, though of course that doesn't mean he'll play the same way. But at the very least he looks well conditioned and doesn't seem like the type to be winded after 3 trips up and down the court, like so many of the big bruisers that wind up in D2. So I have high hopes for him as well.

Comment

• Good input most of what you say is on target. Sasha is not a great shoot blocker but as you say blocks some just standing with his hands up. same for his rebounding..he is not great but some balls just come his way and he has good hands. Smith is a very good rebounder and if allowed to play will score some. He and Sasha will be a hand full if on the floor together. Sasha has a nice three point shot and has some dribble drive skills. Do not forget about Currie. He was very good in high school. If he had not signed early with Louisville he would have had offers. there should be many more off the bench minutes this year. we will/should finish games better/stronger.

Comment

• Another questions: Are our two guard transfer better than Bell? If so can they play PG?

Comment

• One would have to imagine that their experience would lend them an upper hand, however Bell is probably more comfortable running Cooper's offense. I think Bell has been in some unfortunate situations since arriving, but I really like the kid. I think he is a smart ball player and has just enough edge about him. Cooper seemed to get the bad attitude out of him, so I really think he could be a good leader this year. But, he will certainly have some competition. I'm a big Tarik fan too. That boy just has a motor on him and he grinds every second he is on the court. He looks to have bulked up some too which certainly won't hurt. He also seems to have an infectious positive personality which is always a great addition. I can't stress enough how excited I am to see who starts this season. I will say this though- While I like Bezold, the level of talent on this team is high above his ability. He shouldn't see much court this year unless there has been some drastic change in him over the off season.

Comment

• I think Bell has grown and bought into the Wesleyan way as much as anyone. I think playing so many minutes hurt his play late in the season. I am very interested in how Cooper uses all players.

I think sometimes he pulled bench players out too quickly. I would like to see a quick/fast team that runs back doors and shoots threes and a big ram it down your throat team. Let each play about five minutes at a time in the first half. Second half change it up some and mix and match according to weakness of other team.

I not as high on Tarik as some. I think a lot of his movement does not result in anything that helps the offense. He looked very good in a couple of games but was not consistent. When his shot is going in the rest of his game works better. He is a good kid and works hard and I see him getting better but we are loaded with guards.

Cooper is going to be second guessed all season. Who to play, who to start, who to redshirt, who to recruit, should he an extra year for anyone, how to manage a father and son, etc.

Comment

• I think Cooper is an a tough situation, but a good one. He has a plethora of talent this year that can contribute to the team's success. It will be a fine art to utilize players effectively. I'd LOVE to see a team that does those things. And Cooper may even be able to run some sort of platoon system. I don't want to second guess him, as I support him 100 %. But, if Bezold is seeing significant minutes over other guys who are clearly more athletic, better shooters, etc I will probably be chirping a little bit.

Comment

• Since I know so much more than Cooper (like all fans) I will be second guessing his every move. I am excited that he has not gone for these players that until recruited knew nothing about KWC.

I too would like to see to a second unit that has an identity. Bezold makes the most of what skill he has. He does know basketball and has become a leader. I had no idea he would play as much as he did. Maybe he started too many games seems he took minutes away from Mayot. I am not sure we won a game when Mayot did not start or played increased minutes. He always tried to do too much which hurt his minutes.

I think we will have more high school students at some games and I like that very much. WBB really opened some local HS eyes last year and even helped enrolment.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X