Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why ? If you practice you should dress if rules permit.

Comment

• AB soccer/football field looks great.

Comment

• Yeah, I'm also kind of curious whether they will dress the whole team (and therefore travel with them all) or if some will redshirt or otherwise be in street clothes. Just a product of never having had this big of a team before. I'm fine with whatever they decide to do; the only advantage I see with NOT traveling the entire squad is less cost for room, board and meals.

I'm about 99% sure I'll be there Saturday. Very excited to see these guys on the court!

Comment

• Great look forward to your views. Frost redshirting would be fine if others are healthy. My next big worry is wondering if I can view the Ex games.

Comment

• Originally posted by kdubnation View Post
            Yeah, I'm also kind of curious whether they will dress the whole team (and therefore travel with them all) or if some will redshirt or otherwise be in street clothes. Just a product of never having had this big of a team before. I'm fine with whatever they decide to do; the only advantage I see with NOT traveling the entire squad is less cost for room, board and meals.
            My best guess is that all 18 will dress for home games. However, in NCAA D2 Basketball you can only give 10 full scholarships. You cannot give partials, unless I am wrong. So, 8 players are walk on players. When traveling you have to think about cost. Costs include meals. I am not sure if they ever stay over night in motels or hotels, but I am guessing they might, I really don't know. I guess we will find out. Bringing in 8 extra non scholarship players helps the college because they get tuition and room and board profits for those 8 extra players?

Comment

• I do not believe all players have a full ride. I think 12 is the number that usually travels. I do see many teams with many many players on the roster. I would like to see everyone go to Ex games.

Comment

• Originally posted by alumnifan View Post

My best guess is that all 18 will dress for home games. However, in NCAA D2 Basketball you can only give 10 full scholarships. You cannot give partials, unless I am wrong. So, 8 players are walk on players. When traveling you have to think about cost. Costs include meals. I am not sure if they ever stay over night in motels or hotels, but I am guessing they might, I really don't know. I guess we will find out. Bringing in 8 extra non scholarship players helps the college because they get tuition and room and board profits for those 8 extra players?
                D2 you're allowed 10 scholarships and they absolutely can and do give partials. And yes, the conference season is played with Thursday/Saturday travel pairs so the team leaves Wednesday night or Thursday early and does not return home until Saturday night or early Sunday AM. So every road week for conference games you have at least Thursday and Friday nights in hotels, possibly Wednesday night as well.

As for dressing all for home games but not taking all for travel, I have no idea if they would do that or not. It's possible, I suppose.

Comment

• Rosters are out...white loaded with shooters...purple has some size and experience but my money is on the white to win double digits. I think Cooper wants to show scoring and running. The two new guards will shine. It will be interesting if the two big guys are on the floor at the same time. I have said before if we need speed I think we have it. If we need size I think we might have that as well. Hard coaching part is how/when to use them and blend them to get Ws.

Comment

• Originally posted by kdubnation View Post

D2 you're allowed 10 scholarships and they absolutely can and do give partials. And yes, the conference season is played with Thursday/Saturday travel pairs so the team leaves Wednesday night or Thursday early and does not return home until Saturday night or early Sunday AM. So every road week for conference games you have at least Thursday and Friday nights in hotels, possibly Wednesday night as well.

As for dressing all for home games but not taking all for travel, I have no idea if they would do that or not. It's possible, I suppose.
                    I was confused because I don't remember KWC ever dressing 18 players. They usually dispensed 10 full scholarships with a couple of walk on players. I suppose they could give two players full scholarships and the other 16 half scholarships, or any number of ways to dispense the scholarships, I don't know. Todd Lee had to dress less than ten players for several games when the team was on probation. I always thought seeing a large squad was an imposing factor, but it is hard for me to see how a coach could ever play all 18 in a single game. I know it is possible. I just can't remember a KWC team ever doing that. Nor do I remember KWC ever having 18 players on a roster. Correct me if I am wrong, and if so please state the name of the coach that did that. One good aspect of having 18 players is that you could have three complete rotations without the same players. They will have a lot of fresh bodies to place on the floor in every game. So, they probably won't have to worry about side lining a player if he has an injury that would keep him out of the game. I saw Coach Todd Lee have to play five players for much of a game when they only dressed six due to injuries when the team was on probation. We will see how this all works out, but keeping 18 players happy with playing time could be a chore.

If they wanted to save money for road games, I guess they could sleep two to a bed, LOL. If I was a player that wouldn't be appealing to me, but who knows? Players do tend to become really good friends, and sleeping in the same bed has happened before between two heterosexual men. I saw the movie Planes, Trains and Automobiles with Steve Martin and John Candy. I slept in the same bed with friends when I was a small boy for sleep overs, but I have not slept in any bed with a man since I was an adult. Sorry, but that just makes me laugh. "Stop touching me!" LOL.

Comment

• Yikes! That would hurt recruiting. But it might open up recruiting in central coastal California.

Comment

• Well, here is what I took away from today. White won big, but both squads had high points. I left feeling cautiously optimistic. The team as a whole just looks more athletic. Several guys filled out by hitting the weights in the offseason. We generally look pretty long and lean. The pre game warm up drills were high intensity with lots of communication. As a whole, the team was much mroe vocal on the court. It tailed off as they wore down a little, but they talk well. And, the rebounding looked leaps and bounds better than last year. Tarik was out like the roster stated, but not sure what the injury is. Here are my player specific observations:

Ben Sisson: The kid has an engine, he has great footwork, and he grinds around the basket. He had multiple baskets by slipping in around players. He scored regardless of who guarded him. He can work on some things, but he may very well be a stud before he graduates.
                        Jo Griffin: ran a lot of point, strong ball skills and mostly good passes
                        Hopewell: Great defense. His shot looks a bit off like it did at the beginning of last year. He left the game early and went to locker room with a trainer. Could have been a calf or hammy issue, but he was not limping.
                        Currie: Great effort and loves to fight for the ball. His shot doesnt look good and he air balled a free throw. He is obviously still adjusting, but will bring good energy and size.
                        Nate Smith: he was wearing a knee brace, and looked to have an odd stride. That could just be a product of being a 7 footer though. He looks like he has some more conditioning to get in shape, but he is tall at the rim.
                        Sasha: Least impressive of the newbies. He really didn't seem to do much, except commit 5 fouls. I'm not sure why, but he just didn't seem to do much. He did hit a 3 and the team was really happy for him.
                        Deng: Same style of play, although i dont recall him getting any travellng calls. He was very vocal on the floor and from the bench in coaching up his teammates.
                        Goetz: still shoots the lights out.
                        Wyatt: Great court vision and passes. He has a nice pull up jumper. He looked like he was gliding and when others looked tired he looked like he just got out there. I think he will be solid.
                        Teague: Ran pg for the purple team and made some solid passes. He also played some really good pressure D.
                        Mo: still traveled a couple times trying to make his move, so nothing really changed. He seems more comfortable not being at the basket though.
                        Bell: Shot well and made several pretty drives for lay-ups. Looked like him and Cooper were communicating well.
                        Boyle: Definitely has matured his body, but didn't have too much production today.
                        Fort: Looked like the same grinder on block outs, had a basket or two.
                        Cartwright: He has filled out some too. His shot is still money from the perimeter.
                        Gilmer: Played a lot more than I expected, and looks like he hustles. I think he probably gives some good looks at practice.
                        Bezold: Hit a couple shots and is still probably the most knowledgable of the team on the court. His role seemed to be more relief than primary play, which may be a really good role for him.

In conclusion, I have ZERO idea who Cooper is going to start. He has a plethora of options, and many would probably be very productive. Im very encouraged by the high energy. The teams ran the ball up A LOT. There was a ton of movement, and very little standing still. Can't wait to see who hits the court first on Wednesday night at St. Louis.

ALSO, season ticket pick-up was announced to be on Nov 11 and 12 from 9-3 at the Sportscenter. That's all I got. Thanks for the ticket Looking For 9 ;)

Comment

• I mostly agree with your assessment and will type out more complete thoughts later when I have more time. The only major point I disagree with you on is regarding Sasha. He did commit some fouls on defense, so he'll need to address that, but offensively he looked to me to have some really nice skills around the basket. He did make a long jumper but he also had a couple of nice looks from underneath off of interior passes, and a couple of post-up baskets including a very smooth hook shot. Now, I'm not saying he's going to be all-conference or anything, but I felt like he's got skills that will help us this season.

Sisson looks like one of the most technically skilled post players we've had in many years. He's going to be very exciting to watch develop over the next 4 years.

Smith looks like he can hardly move out there. I was really disappointed that he doesn't seem to have much mobility at all. I think his injuries have really robbed him of the vast majority of his game and I honestly don't see him getting much court time, sadly. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see him helping the team much at all when he's on the court.

I'll finish with this thought for now, and add more thoughts about specific players later on. The biggest differences I see between the P/W scrimmage last year vs. this year is that the team looks more complete and competent this year. And, as you mentioned, more athletic. MUCH more athletic. Based on what I saw from them today I feel like our defense is going to be stronger and our all around comfort level on both ends is going to be much higher. We looked like a team that can do more than just shoot today, which in retrospect we didn't see last year at this time. I expect our scoring in the paint both from our post players and driving guards to be very much improved from last year, which when it comes down to it our lack of any 'in paint' offense last year cost us many games.

Comment

• Thank guys for the update. Very much appreciated and enjoyed. Too bad about Smith. He seems to be a fine young man that has never caught a break. I am glad to hear about Teague. I think he maybe a sleeper and a good strong PG down the road. Was there much interest in the game??

Comment

• I'm admittedly REALLY bad at estimating numbers, but I'd say there were 200-250 people there. Seemed like a lot of player families were able to make it in, which I love. That's a big benefit of having in-state talent.

I may have missed Sasha's good play. Also, I may have just had higher expectations for him and he fell short of those while still having a decent day. I tried to take preconceived notions out, but I really expected him to be an athletic presence in the post. And again, maybe that is the case and I just missed it. He certainly has the body type to be a solid player. As for Smith, you are right. It almost looks like it's unnatural every time he makes a movement. If nothing else, we can throw him in against that 7 footer at Hillsdale who I've hardly seen play and watch them go at it.

Comment

• Walsh also has a 7 footer and he is skilled. Nice to hear some people went. From your info it looks like the future looks better than it was before this years recruits.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X