Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Absolutely pitiful and embarrassing ending. The inbounds BS is pathetic. That sits squarely on Cooper.

Gmac refs in general are terrible, those were especially questionable. But we still had the game and gave it away.

You can take it to the bank that if the game goes to OT, our boys WILL NOT show up.

Comment

• CAN. NOT. FINISH.

0-4 in OT games and lost to Walsh at end of game. Pitiful.

Comment

• Yep. And maybe Salem is better than they used to be, but I was sitting there watching that game thinking about when we played them with Bosley and Jacks and put up 134 points on them. We simply do not have any offensive firepower anymore, and I don't think it's the players. The theory of Cooper's system is sound in general but it just doesn't work for us, at least offensively. He's had enough time to build a team at this point that we shouldn't be this mediocre.

Comment

• So how many thought we'd be half way through year 4 under Coach Cooper and be in bottom half of GMAC and not make conference tournament? I am not saying he should be fired at all. He is probably the best KWC can get at this point. Just disappointed at the roster churn, lack of any high quality talent, and lack of consistency. Yes I know one can come up with excuses (this year Sisson's ankle) but that is true for every team.

Comment

• I think there is still an outside chance we get the last seed in the tournament, but I fully understand your point. Coming in to this season I thought we would be a top 3 GMAC team. And without excuses and poor execution, we probably would be. Should have beat Walsh, Hillsdale, and Ashland. A 7-2 conference record would indeed have them in 1st place. I think we have talent, and that is evidenced by being in games with those top teams. But we certainly don't have the explosive talent we had when players like Bosley, Jacks, and Foster were beating teams by 30-40 regularly. I thought Kaveon was going to be our explosive player, but unfortunately his injury kept us from really knowing. Hopefully he is back next year.

We do have guys that can ball but they go out and dribble off their feet, make passes that middle school coaches would bench players for, and throw up some of the most awful layup attempts I've ever seen. The turnovers and bad shot selection are hard to watch. I'm a fan of Cooper, but something has got to change. The offense needs something to juice it up. And we need to find a player that will take over a game. Wyatt looked like he was doing that against Salem, but still couldn't finish. This team is full of quality people and students that are also good at basketball. In former years the teams were REALLY good with some not so great guys and much more average team GPAs. I'm glad these guys represent the school well in the community, but the basketball portion of the program isn't where it needs to be at this point.

So to your point, no I never thought we'd be in this position in year 4. Here's to hoping we start a miraculous turn around today at Lake Erie.

Comment

• Originally posted by WKYDave View Post
                So how many thought we'd be half way through year 4 under Coach Cooper and be in bottom half of GMAC and not make conference tournament? I am not saying he should be fired at all. He is probably the best KWC can get at this point. Just disappointed at the roster churn, lack of any high quality talent, and lack of consistency. Yes I know one can come up with excuses (this year Sisson's ankle) but that is true for every team.

Comment

• The runner up for the job last time was the coach at St. Thomas Aquinas in New York. From what I've heard the admin felt he was looking for a stepping stone for a D1 job, not a long-term gig. And they wanted someone to "Kentucky" the program, for lack of a better word. That said, I just don't think Cooper's ever going to bring us back to elite status. I mean, Ray Harper's WORST team - a team under probation and facing uncertainty because of the NCAA investigation - was something like 22-7 and that was in the powerhouse GLVC. And I only say that for comparative purposes, not pining for the days of eligibility questions and players that never walked into a classroom on campus their entire tenure. But comparatively, Cooper's BEST team has been 10-6 (limited season due to covid, granted). The G-MAC isn't as weak as it was early on in its existence but there's still no reason to we should accept that we can't be a top 4 or 5 team in the conference (at least) every year.

Comment

• Our next game is at Findlay. We have never played well there. And we beat them at our place so they're already going to be mad. I would not be surprised if they beat us by 50, especially with our currently limited roster. My prediction: 83-53 Findlay.

Comment

• It's a well-founded prediction. I'd love to see us steal one of these 2 road games this week, but the likely one would be Findlay and as you said the odds aren't in our favor. I imagine 2 losses this week probably eliminates us from conference play.

I am curious why the conference dropped from 8 tournament teams to 6. Also, did the GMAC drop the points system they had for the last couple years?

Comment

• [QUOTE= Also, did the GMAC drop the points system they had for the last couple years?[/QUOTE]

They dropped the point system because they play every team twice now

Comment

• Two more games, two more losses. I'm not sure we can even be considered mediocre at this point. It's getting really sad.

Comment

• Thanks WKY Dave I forgot that was the reasoning behind the points. Appreciate the reminder.

Anyone else feel like the team has progressively gotten worse?

Comment

• We sure as heck haven't gotten better! And it drives me crazy because I can see the potential in the players. Jamil Wilson is a very good PG. Jordan Roland is the fastest player we've had in years, and can score in every way you can think of. And he's a lock-down defender. And I mean the list goes on in terms of individual capability. But the TEAM is just not good! And I honestly don't believe it's the players' fault at this point.

Prime example: In the Malone game the other night we had a 2 on 1 fast break opportunity. Antonio had Wyatt ahead and headed to the basket and he threw him an alley-oop which would have made the (tiny) crowd go crazy, but the Malone defender made a really good play and broke it up. Cooper then immediately berated Antonio for throwing the pass, yelled at him the whole way back down the court, etc - and let's remember, it wasn't a bad pass or bad play, the defender made a great play and that's it. Then, not 2 minutes later, Cooper is yelling at Antonio and others to be more aggressive. Dude you just yelled at them for BEING aggressive! Cooper has a system that could be really good, but the dude is a micro-manager and I just don't think he's capable of getting the best out of his players. I hope I'm wrong and we're just not clicking right now, but so far in 4 years he has yet to prove me wrong.

Comment

• You're spot on. The talent is there but it seemingly can't play together. It's not as bad as the Jason Mays team (thank God), but it's trending in that direction.

I recall that exact play, but was watching at home so I missed the berating. But, I've seen that sequence happen plenty of times. I think Coop is feeling pressure. He knows he shouldn't be in the position they are in at this point, and I think he's over correcting. Maybe stop guys from pulling a 3 in transition offense without numbers. That'd be a good place to start.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X