Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotty Draud has entered the transfer portal

Comment

• Another one gone without even touching the court. C'mon Cooper.

Comment

• We've had some significant freshmen turnover in Cooper's career. What's the deal? Are they expecting to come in and play or do they see the transfers coming in and think they will not get playing time?

Comment

• I don't know. I was willing to give him a pass on it the first year or two because you have to think he was just trying to fill a roster, and as the incoming players became better the early ones were being passed over and were likely never going to get court time. But at this point we shouldn't have kids signing as freshmen unless the plan is that they're going to be contributors - if not year 1 then at least soon thereafter. The ones like Draud I never got the feeling that they were just roster filler ... he was supposed to become a player for us.

Comment

• Originally posted by pantherfan View Post
            We've had some significant freshmen turnover in Cooper's career. What's the deal? Are they expecting to come in and play or do they see the transfers coming in and think they will not get playing time?

Generally, these guys are either quitting basketball altogether or transferring down to NAIA or DIII. Also they weren't recruited by other DII schools when KWC signed them. This leads me to think that Cooper is taking them as roster fillers, knowing they can't compete at the DII level. They guys realize that after a year or two and leave. Cooper needs to start recruiting better quality (on the court) Freshman players or this trend will continue.

Comment

• Yeah I mean I can see that with a lot of them. But Scotty Draud broke Brandon Hatton's career scoring record in that region of high school basketball. Which I realize that scoring in high school doesn't necessarily equate to a great college career, but you've got a coach's kid, with good size, and that kind of scoring power ... you're telling me he couldn't at least be a role player on a D2 team? Maybe not. I don't know...it's just not a good look for the program. Why recruit high school kids at all? Go back to the previous ways - bring in mostly 1 and 2 year juco or D1 transfers and win some games. Sprinkle in the occasional high school player that slipped through the cracks of the higher levels (Ken-Jah Bosley, anyone?) but otherwise look for players that are already conditioned and capable of playing at the necessary level.

Comment

• With the insane increase in players transferring, what kind of team could Ray Harper have assembled at KWC? He landed great transfers before transferring was really that much of "a thing" ... I'm not sure if the massive increase would have helped or hurt his recruiting.

Comment

• After 61 years, record-holding KWC radio announcer Joel Utley retires.... https://barrettsportsmedia.com/2022/...alled-retires/

Comment

• If I'm not mistaken, classes have started for this semester at KWC. Either that or they do so very soon. In theory this means that any player that's going to be on our roster will have been enrolled and accounted for, so they should be able to post the roster on the website relatively soon. Whether they do so or wait til closer to the season is to be seen, though. I'm curious to see if the guys from last year that should have come back have done so - Boyd, Sasha, etc. Or if we'll be seeing new faces added to replace them.

Comment

• Cooper made a few more additions and dropped the roster today. Another big batch of new faces.

Comment

• Originally posted by pantherfan View Post
                        Cooper made a few more additions and dropped the roster today. Another big batch of new faces.
                        Yep...16 players including 5 seniors and 6 juniors. Not enough playing time to keep them all happy. At least he only "lost" one player from last year - Scotty Draud. Kinda "lost" Sasha as he had a 5th year and said he was coming back but didn't.

Comment

• Well, my initial impression of the roster for this year is that it is pretty underwhelming. Now, I will freely admit that the last couple of years I felt like the roster at this point looked great ... only to be very disappointed by the end results. So maybe this year it will swing the other way.

I know Aune and Miles look to be the type of players that CAN be very successful at the D2 level. And there's potential in Fernandez as a big in our league. I don't see any immediate impact coming from any of the freshmen. If Kaveon Mitchell can stay healthy this year I feel like that helps a lot in the back court - he was starting to really look like he was going to have an impact for us last year before he got hurt. And a lot is going to revolve around which Antonio Thomas shows up on the court. There were games last year that he looked like the whole package. And others where he was ok on defense but was a liability on offense. Certainly can't afford THAT this year. The one thing I think we can count on this season is Jordan Roland having a big senior year. The question is whether the guys around him are going to perform or not. I'm also hopeful that Ben Sisson plays like pre-injury Sisson from last year for his senior year. I'd like to see him go out with a bang.

As for Sasha, I'm a little sad that he didn't come back but at the same time he was far too inconsistent to make much of a difference for us if he HAD returned.

This is what, year 6? for Cooper? I'll go back and look and edit myself if I'm wrong there. If they're giving him 3 year contracts then this has to be 'do or die' year for his tenure. I sure hope the administration is not satisfied with hovering around .500 every year. I know I'm not. I realize Covid had an impact on everything ... but every school was in the same boat so I really don't accept that as much of an excuse. This ship HAS to be righted and I'd love to see Cooper be the one to do it but if not then we've got to go back to the drawing board.
                          Last edited by kdubnation; 08-25-2022, 12:38 PM.

Comment

• Unofficial schedule includes exhibition at Xavier University; season opening crossover event at Wisconsin Parkside, playing against Parkside and IL-Springfield; also non-conference games against Michigan Tech at home and Delta State on the road

Comment

• And so it begins. Cade Jones has been dropped from the roster on the KWC site. True Freshman. I don't know if these kids are coming in just unprepared for college ... or if they expect to be a top player on the team and figure out that they aren't and jet ... or what. But you'd think we could retain more of these kids signing out of high school.

Comment

• Sheesh. He was listed as a SG. That appears to be a very crowded position. But surely he didn't come in prepared to see the court in year 1, right? Oh well, I generally count departures at this time of the year as a blessing. There was probably an issue there that now won't linger through the season and have potential to spread.

Went to the football game today (ouch.) and saw Keegan Brewer with a boot on and using crutches. While I didn't expect him to contribute, Cooper has consistently raved about his practice presence so that hurts.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X