Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wondering when we can pick up tickets this year?

Comment

• It's basketball time! Little disappointed to see that it appears we won't be able to watch the Xavier exhibition tomorrow. Interested to see the starting 5 and get some initial insight as to how scoring distribution could look.

Not terribly disappointed in the preseason GMAC poll. I'd like to see us in top 3. Should have beat Ashland both times last year and should have at least split with Hillsdale. Cooper certainly hasn't frontloaded the schedule with cupcakes, so these boys better come out ready to play ball and not drag their feet through the first couple of weeks. Hopefully they've finally figured out how to not start slow.

Comment

• Yeah, I'm having a hard time getting as excited as I usually do this time of year. Partially that's because high school bowling season is ramping up and between my son being a senior and my coaching duties we are staying pretty busy. But moreso, I think, because Cooper's teams have not proven themselves to be top tier so far and I'm tired of being let down. Don't get me wrong, I'm more than ready to walk into the Sportscenter again and see what they can do. But man, I guess the days of being ranked preseason top 10 and seeing the team roll over decent competition like they're a rec league team seem so long ago.

Some things I'm cautiously optimistic about this year: Ben Sisson as a senior. I really hope he got back on track after his injury last year killed his momentum. The duo from Lawson state - Aune and Miles - these guys look like the kinds of players that can have real success at the D2 level. Will they take the court with confidence or will Cooper hold them back? Jordan Roland and Antonio Thomas could have great years. And the kid from Spain is supposedly a big time presence down low.

But alas, for all the apparent positives, I'm just afraid it's going to be another typical Cooper year of being around .500 and lots of hearing "we're really close to being a great team" on the radio during the postgame interviews. Which reminds me...no Joel Utley! Who are they going to have calling the games? Or will they even bother? Whomever they get could never fill Joel's shoes.

Ah, and then I see an article about the coach we DIDN'T hire who is now bringing his up tempo high pressure high scoring game to D1 FDU this year which makes me hope beyond hope that it's not another year of losing games 52-60 because we can't score. Sigh...basketball is back, baby. Whoopity-doo

Comment

• Good luck! Hope it's a hell of a senior year laden with W's and trophies!

I've talked to several people and the overwhelming result is cautious optimism. It's unfortunate that we're at a point where we want to feel good about players but have been let down for so many years that we just can't. We better damn well be the most conditioned team in D2 this year. We fell off in all our OT games last year and the talking point was always "so close", to your point above.

Joel will be missed. Hopefully they find an eager young guy to do it who can stay with the program for decades to come. And hopefully that someone is up to the task of chasing Joel's legacy.

Maybe they'll pull a Lenoir-Rhyne and shock their D1 opponent. Then we'll all be very excited Thursday morning....

Comment

• Well, we played right with them for 36 minutes, then they closed on a 15-0 run. Lots of good signs here...but I'm going to have to see them win some real games before I'm believing again.

Comment

• Wish I could have watched it to get a feel for the group. I tried to listen but the broadcast on my end was horrific. It kept breaking up every 20 seconds or so. I'm proud of that showing, but confused how it happened with such a terrible shooting percentage by the Panthers. Seemed really quick to shoot 3's at about a 30% rate. But, it appeared via live stats that we played FAST. And I've missed that over the last few seasons.

Looking forward to hopefully watching the games next weekend to see how they play against some D2 competition.

Comment

• The 3 pt percentage stayed between 40 & 50 percent for the first probably 25 minutes of the game then tailed off when they started settling for the 3 more. And they must have been more aggressive going to the basket in the first half as they were 12-14 from the free throw line in the first half and didn't even shoot one in the second.

The other thing to note is Xavier played their starters this entire game. They did have subs in and out, but very much patterned like a normal in season game - not trying a bunch of different players and lineups like you often see in an exhibition. And Xavier is HUGE, at least compared to us. So I'm hopeful that the way this game went is a good sign for our chances against D2 competition.

It's going to be key for us to stay healthy this year. I actually think injuries to Mitchell and Sisson last season became the difference between us being 14-14 and something more like 21-8 or 20-9.

I'm very hopeful that Mitchell especially stays healthy and ends up being a major component of this team like he seemed to be in the first half against Xavier. He's a local kid (Breck Co) and came in as a true freshman. He's the kind of kid that if he develops year over year like he should he could have one helluva nice career.

Comment

• That's some good info, especially as it pertains to Xavier's rotation. Looking back at the stat sheet, our guys did just shoot poorly in the 2nd half...7-29 is rough.

I was encouraged to see Fernandez come in and play well immediately. His size could be a huge advantage on the inside against GMAC opponents.

Mitchell has some traits that remind me of Jordan Jacks, which is really exciting. You're right that if he stays healthy he can really have a great career in the purple and white. Cooper's preseason letter said he had 4 years of eligibility left. Who knows if he'll take them all, but regardless he still has a lot of basketball in him.

Comment

• Well obviously it's another year of can't score can't shoot turn it over all the time basketball. Whoopitty do! Here we come .500 again!

Comment

• Yeah..rough stat sheets. Seems like the same struggles. Don't know how we got from pressing Xavier to this, but we seem to be pretty comfortable here. I have no ideas on issues at this point, since I haven't watched any games. Assuming it's more poor shot selection, poor passing, and holding the ball too long.

I don't want to rip on the kid since I haven't seen him play and his stat line today wasn't awful, but why is Gray starting? I get that some kids get overlooked, but as a local guy if Cooper was interested in him out of HS I can't imagine he would have gone to Wichita to play NAIA ball. Again, maybe an unfair assessment since I haven't watched him play. Just hoping this isn't another Bezold situation where we are playing inferior physical talent due to their basketball IQ. Does anyone believe he brings more to the floor than Kaeveon or Jomel?

Comment

• All I know is in 2 games against D2 competition we are averaging 58.5 points per game. In today's game that's absolutely pathetic.

Comment

• In case you haven't heard and need to know, season ticket pickup is today thru Friday (11/16-18) from 10a-4p at the HRC on campus

Comment

• Got my tickets…will be there Saturday…but it’s just sad what’s happened to the number 1 entertainment option of my youth

Comment

• These boys sure shoot a lot of 3's for a team that doesn't hit 3's very well (.246 from behind the arc on the season). Fernandez isn't helping that at all with 13 attempts and 2 makes. Maybe the biggest body on the court should work towards the interior. 0-3...another STELLAR start.

Comment

• Yeah it's absolutely time to make a change. This is just ridiculous.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X