Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best 12-12 team of all times

Comment

• For first 5 years Cooper's record against D2 schools is 49-63. Only winning record was 9-6 in COVID season. Massey and Talismanred have had KWC ranked in bottom half of D2 every year except COVID year. This year Massey has KWC at 177 out of 297 and Talismanred has KWC at 222 out of 296.

"Good" news is, given Findlay's schedule, KWC will make conference tournament as 7th or 8th seed. But as was posted earlier, when was KWC's men's basketball goal making conference tournament, not the NCAA tournament. Heck most of my life the goal was Elite 8 or Championship!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
        KWC must be really good. "They beat Findlay. " ;D
        We won the 2023 Mediocrity Classic! Big props to us! 😂

Comment

• Walsh 76
          Findlay 49

Walsh jumped out to a 29-9 lead on OUR court and it didn't get much better. I think we came within 16, maybe 14 and that was that. Cedarville comes to town Saturday and next week at Tiffin and at home to Hillsdale. SOOO...

Comment

• Walsh did the same to us. The final score was closer than that but that's because Walsh stopped trying to score and was playing 'run the clock' starting with about 10 minutes to play, which allowed us to close the gap some.

Meanwhile, last night, we obliterated Trevecca 101-50 and it could have been worse but we played our bench players quite a few minutes in the second half. Trevecca is in a world of hurt with their program right now.

The crazy thing is that as mediocre as we have been, we actually still have a legit shot at hosting a first round conference tournament game. We'd have to win our last two games on the road, though, not to mention beating Malone in our last home game tomorrow. After they set a new record for 3 pointers made when we played them at their place, I'm hoping our guys play with a chip on their shoulders. But we have yet to prove that we have that much situational awareness so far, so I'm not holding my breath.

I know the entire landscape of D2 is different now, but I just can't stop thinking about those teams Ray Harper fielded. I mean most, if not all of those teams would wipe the court with our current team worse than we beat Trevecca last night. I don't know, maybe I'm just over-romanticizing that era and how good those guys were but in my mind there's just no comparison between them and today's guys. The best player on our current team wouldn't have even had bench minutes on some of those teams. If Cooper's going to stick around any longer he's going to have to sign a couple of elite players. He's brought in some decent guys...maybe even some that rise to the level of "good" ... but he's never come close to anyone elite.

Comment

• Walsh has some players. Outside of a one night breakdown from either, I'd expect a Hillsdale/Walsh GMAC tourney championship. And would expect it to be a great game.

Trevecca is bad...I'm not sure they could compete with many D3 teams at this point. Hopefully they make some moves in the offseason to get a hungry young coach in to rebuild. The interim guy may be a great dude, but he hardly coached at all last night.

I'd LOVE to see the boys host a quarterfinal. But at this point, given their resume, I'm not sure they could be Owensboro Catholic on the road. I've never seen a team so inconsistent with road play. I get that they like playing at home but come on. It's a tough road over the next week or so, but they do seem to be playing well right now and also seem to be gel-ing really well as a group.

This team would get mopped by Harper's squads, and Lee's squads, and Happy's squads. Ken-Jah, Jacks, and Foster would have scored 70 in the first half last night and laughed the entire time. I do always get a bit of a chuckle at the Harper romanticism. I get the guy was a STUD, but he was a cheater. Not just a rumored one, a proven cheater. I just always chuckle when long time fans swoon over a guy that was playing ineligible guys. I agree Cooper has had a couple of "good" players. Like Jo Griffin. He had enough grit to earn bench time on some of those teams of old. But I could maybe stretch to say Tre Cobbs was an elite D2 player. I often forget about him because he was only there one season, it was a Covid season, and he got hurt. But that guy could do anything he wanted on the court. He blew by every team in the GMAC. Unfortunately he didn't have enough "good" players around him to offset good double team defenses. Honestly, I'm not even sure how we got the kid. He was D1, came to KWC for a year, then left and went back D1 and started for Georgia Southern.

Comment

• Originally posted by kdubnation View Post
                Walsh did the same to us. The final score was closer than that but that's because Walsh stopped trying to score and was playing 'run the clock' starting with about 10 minutes to play, which allowed us to close the gap some.

Meanwhile, last night, we obliterated Trevecca 101-50 and it could have been worse but we played our bench players quite a few minutes in the second half. Trevecca is in a world of hurt with their program right now.

The crazy thing is that as mediocre as we have been, we actually still have a legit shot at hosting a first round conference tournament game. We'd have to win our last two games on the road, though, not to mention beating Malone in our last home game tomorrow. After they set a new record for 3 pointers made when we played them at their place, I'm hoping our guys play with a chip on their shoulders. But we have yet to prove that we have that much situational awareness so far, so I'm not holding my breath.

I know the entire landscape of D2 is different now, but I just can't stop thinking about those teams Ray Harper fielded. I mean most, if not all of those teams would wipe the court with our current team worse than we beat Trevecca last night. I don't know, maybe I'm just over-romanticizing that era and how good those guys were but in my mind there's just no comparison between them and today's guys. The best player on our current team wouldn't have even had bench minutes on some of those teams. If Cooper's going to stick around any longer he's going to have to sign a couple of elite players. He's brought in some decent guys...maybe even some that rise to the level of "good" ... but he's never come close to anyone elite.
                No, you’re not overromanticizing….not a single guy on the current team would start on any of the 1998-2003 teams….some would be quality bench players…but none would start.

Comment

• Originally posted by pantherfan View Post
                  Walsh has some players. Outside of a one night breakdown from either, I'd expect a Hillsdale/Walsh GMAC tourney championship. And would expect it to be a great game.

Trevecca is bad...I'm not sure they could compete with many D3 teams at this point. Hopefully they make some moves in the offseason to get a hungry young coach in to rebuild. The interim guy may be a great dude, but he hardly coached at all last night.

I'd LOVE to see the boys host a quarterfinal. But at this point, given their resume, I'm not sure they could be Owensboro Catholic on the road. I've never seen a team so inconsistent with road play. I get that they like playing at home but come on. It's a tough road over the next week or so, but they do seem to be playing well right now and also seem to be gel-ing really well as a group.

This team would get mopped by Harper's squads, and Lee's squads, and Happy's squads. Ken-Jah, Jacks, and Foster would have scored 70 in the first half last night and laughed the entire time. I do always get a bit of a chuckle at the Harper romanticism. I get the guy was a STUD, but he was a cheater. Not just a rumored one, a proven cheater. I just always chuckle when long time fans swoon over a guy that was playing ineligible guys. I agree Cooper has had a couple of "good" players. Like Jo Griffin. He had enough grit to earn bench time on some of those teams of old. But I could maybe stretch to say Tre Cobbs was an elite D2 player. I often forget about him because he was only there one season, it was a Covid season, and he got hurt. But that guy could do anything he wanted on the court. He blew by every team in the GMAC. Unfortunately he didn't have enough "good" players around him to offset good double team defenses. Honestly, I'm not even sure how we got the kid. He was D1, came to KWC for a year, then left and went back D1 and started for Georgia Southern.
                  I’ll romanticize Harper…we have two titles that werent dropped…and I couldn’t care less about what supposedly constituted “cheating”.

Comment

• All I really know….is I just hope they win each game…no matter how unlikely….I’ll be there today in Seats KK Row 1 11&12….as I’ve been seated in regularly since the 80-81 season and my family have had since the early sixties…and I plan to be there next year and the next, God willing….I just hope at some point I can see something resembling the kind of play, excitement and meaningful games that I witnessed regularly between about 1981 and 2013 or so…but some would just call that being greedy after all the joy KWC basketball brought me over those 30 plus years.
                    Last edited by Lawson; 02-18-2023, 04:19 PM.

Comment

• Amazing stat from this year…I personally attended 9 KWC games this year….I have season tickets, but I live in BG, so I don’t make every game.

In those games KWC was 9-0….so, as for personal entertainment…it was a pretty good year.

Comment

• Maybe you need to start traveling with the team, your presence seems to be motivational 🤣

Comment

• 8th seed. Get to travel to Walsh and get absolutely CLAPPED because we can't beat Walsh under Cooper. When it comes down to it they have elite players and we don't.

What's better, we scored 76 points yesterday 69 of them coming from our seniors. That leaves 7 points of scoring returning next year. If they even all return next year.

So not only are we already no more than mediocre, but we're going into a rebuilding year next year to boot. Oh goodie.

But I can't see the admin dumping Cooper at this point. We ended the season on a bit of a hot streak (thanks to fortuitous scheduling by the G-MAC) and if I'm being fair, we actually have played pretty well over the last few games. Plus, we're in the tournament...and a valid case can be made that we were very close to hosting a first round game. My viewpoint is that these are the facts DESPITE Cooper's leadership, not because of it. But I guarantee the admin will consider it to be enough to keep Cooper. And that this is the new normal.

What's next year going to bring? Elite recruits that hit the ground running and get us back to the top of the league? If you believe that at this point in Cooper's tenure, give me a call because I can make you a really good deal on a blue bridge downtown.

I fear that it's going to take a Trevecca-like season for the admin to do anything about it.

Oh, and meanwhile, the guy we DIDN'T hire has his D1 at 2nd place in their league going into conference tournament in his first year at the D1 level. Go figure. But at least we went with the guy willing to stick around in D2 and not looking to try to jump to D1 as soon as he can. I'd hate to have someone with ambition in the position, that would be tragic.

Comment

• Well the boys made it competitive. I don't think anyone thought that would be a single digit game. If they didn't give up so many double digit runs (I think Walsh was on a 19-0 run early in the 2nd half), they may have pulled it out. Roland put the team on his back for the last few games. Glad to see him end on such a big night, just wish the rest of the team would have supported him. I didn't see Beezy play at all, did anyone else? We were playing Sisson with 3 fouls at one point. Why not use our other big?

I agree with you, kdubnation, I think Cooper did just enough to secure another year. I've cheered hard for him since day 1. I haven't been shy in supporting him in any scenario. But this season took a lot of my heart out of it. I wanted it to work so badly. I wanted to see him be successful. But I've accepted that it's not working. I'll be as enthusiastic as I can come late next fall, but I don't expect much better than this year.

Comment

• Beezy wasn't even on the bench. Goes right along with Cooper's trend of players disappearing (sometimes figuratively, sometimes literally) throughout the season.

And look, I don't fault anyone for supporting Cooper. I have supported him and was actually REALLY excited when he was hired. But the fact of the matter is, we're not improving. Not in any significant way, at least. We might be a little better one year, and a little worse the next. But that's not KWC basketball. And I've said it before, but look at the history - you literally have to go back 90 years to find a KWC coach with a worse winning percentage. If that doesn't tell you we're not where we should be, I don't know what will.
                              Last edited by kdubnation; 03-01-2023, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• This was another game where 56 of our 70 points were scored by seniors. 14 points from non-seniors yesterday. 7 in the game before that. 10 the game before that. Next year's looking great (end sarcasm font)

Oh, by the way, Walsh's Garrison Keesler, who lit us up for 26 yesterday (and 19 & 20 the previous times we played them this year) is just a sophomore. As is Quentin Toles who scored 29 on us in Owensboro. Oh, and Nic Smith. Tim Smith Jr, their leading scorer - who didn't play yesterday due to injury - is a JR. So Walsh is going to be loaded next year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X