Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun Fact....Since the Niemans became co-coaches of the women's team in 2010-11 the women have made 5 NCAA tournaments....the men have made 4!!!

The women have won 1 conference tournament (but denied bid as GMAC was provisional conference) and played in 2 other championship games for chance at automatic bid. The men have won 2 conference tournaments and received the automatic bid and played in 2 other championship games with 1 for a chance at an automatic bid.

The record for the women since 2010-11: 258-112
    The record for the men since 2010-11: 238-132
    Last edited by WKYDave; 03-05-2023, 10:02 PM.

Comment

• The record for the men since 2010-11: 238-132

Most of those wins came under Happy.

And our womens team is a perfect example of what having good coaches does for a program.

Comment

• Originally posted by kdubnation View Post
        The record for the men since 2010-11: 238-132

Most of those wins came under Happy.

And our womens team is a perfect example of what having good coaches does for a program.
        The women's team had a 13-point lead against GV in the first round and somehow GV came back to force OT and win. KWC had dominated all game until the last quarter.
        Last edited by KleShreen; 03-10-2023, 01:05 PM.
        2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

• Kentucky Wesleyan has a Jewell in the Niemanns. I believe they are headed toward a breakout season before long.

Comment

• Originally posted by crazznewt View Post
            Kentucky Wesleyan has a Jewell in the Niemanns. I believe they are headed toward a breakout season before long.

Yes the Niemann's are very good, no there will be no break out season. KWC does not have the money to invest in the program. If you saw the women's budget you would flip. I know they are only allowed to get new uniforms every 5 years and the team privately fund raised to go on the FL trip a couple of years ago and stayed at a player's parent's home to save money. Too bad they couldn't get their first NCAA Tournament win yesterday. It would have been special for 3 of the 4 teams left to be GMAC and 2 of those to be original members.

Comment

• Originally posted by WKYDave View Post

Yes the Niemann's are very good, no there will be no break out season. KWC does not have the money to invest in the program. If you saw the women's budget you would flip. I know they are only allowed to get new uniforms every 5 years and the team privately fund raised to go on the FL trip a couple of years ago and stayed at a player's parent's home to save money. Too bad they couldn't get their first NCAA Tournament win yesterday. It would have been special for 3 of the 4 teams left to be GMAC and 2 of those to be original members.
              Is KWC in danger of dropping sports or worse???

Comment

• Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post

Is KWC in danger of dropping sports or worse???
                No...but they have the same issue now that they did when in the GLVC. KWC is not a rich school so the money they spend on sports is smaller than most schools. For example, I don't KNOW this, but I don't think the women's team has the full allotment of scholarships. For example, according to data Drury outspends KWC on Athletic student aid $4.2M v $3.1M, total athletic expenses of $8.9M v $5.6M and ave men Head coach salaries are $44,624 v $33,180 and ave women Head coach salaries are $42,257 v $22,704,
                Last edited by WKYDave; 03-11-2023, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• Eddie Jones has entered the transfer portal. Probably our best returning player, gone, after we've already lost our top 4 players to graduation.

Comment

• According to this board, 5 years ago Drew Cooper and Tobin Anderson were finalists for the head coaching job. KWC felt Tobin would use KWC as stepping stone so they went with Cooper. For the record the next 4 years Tobin went 25-7 Region runner up, 25-5 NCAA canceled, 14-2 regional runner up, 28-5 regional runner up. He then left St. Thomas for DI where he went 19-14 in his first season including becoming the second man to coach a #16 seed over a #1 seed in NCAA....yes Tobin is the coach of Fairleigh Dickinson. Makes you wonder what might have been.....

Comment

• I've seen a few signings posted on Twitter, though nothing has been released by KWC itself, of course.

Cooper seems to be adding bodies...time will tell if they are ball players or not.

So far we've got:

Jake Evans - 6'1" PG D1 transfer from Northern Kentucky. (saw a picture of him playing wearing a full leg brace, so that brings the ol' confidence level up...)
                      Jack Mahoney - 6'10" C from Bosco Prep,
                      Dominik Subota - 6'3" PG from Bosco Prep...originally from Australia
                      Dwayne Chatman Jr. - 6'6" F true freshman from IL
                      Will Kirkland - 5'11" G true freshman from Reitz in Evansville

Verbal Commits shows also a commitment from Logan McIntire - 6'4" PG from North Harrison HS in Indiana, who originally signed with U of Evansville (but I haven't found any announcement yet)

They also show that we have offered 6'5" F Chappelle Whitney out of Warren Central in Bowling Green, KY. He has 2 other D2 offers on his profile on VC (Tusculum and Auburn-Montgomery)

Meanwhile, we know that Eddie Jones has transferred, or at least has entered the portal, which I would have ranked as probably our top returning player, or maybe second after Kennedy Miles. With the "covid" years available to players, I suppose there's a chance we could see Jordan Roland or Ben Sisson come back for an extra year, but I would be surprised.

There's certainly plenty of D1 transfers out there that haven't committed anywhere yet. I keep hoping one of these days to see a big "blow your socks off" commitment from a high major player like we used to get in the old days, but I expect that's just wishful thinking.

Comment

• Great summary kdubnation! Thanks for putting that together. I've been watching Eddy's twitter to see if he announces anything and so far I've seen nothing. I sure hope we can find a way to keep him. Ben acted like he wanted to come back this year, but celebrating his senior night seemed odd if that was truly his plan. I agree Kennedy becomes the top player on the team if EJ is gone. I've tried to look in to some of these kids and can't find much. It's interesting to me to see 2 kids from Bosco. I'd really like to see some more experienced transfers given our low level of experience for next year

I saw on Twitter that Cooper also offered a Dajohn Craig out of Lawrence Central, but he ended up committing to a prep school for another year. The McIntire kid situation seems odd. He committed to Evansville in august of 21 and was on their 22-23 roster with a total of 14 minutes. So maybe we got him in the portal, but odd he didn't post anything about it.

On another note, Antonio signed with Evansville for his final season of eligibility. Good for him getting back to D1. Hope he does well. Jo Griffin is now the Head of Strength and Conditioning for all athletic teams at Bellarmine. Wyatt Battaile was a grad assistant at WKU last year. Good to see some successes for some of the recent guys.

Comment

• Timely discussion yesterday with this press release: https://kwcpanthers.com/news/2023/5/...mmitments.aspx

Also, saw Beezy tweet he was back for another year. Presumable returners are below, and I assume maybe 3 of them start:

-Kaeveon Mitchell (starter)
                          -Kennedy Miles (starter)
                          -Alex Gray
                          -Carter Bischoff
                          -Fares Remouche (assuming he gets eligibility)
                          -Beezy Fernandez (starter)
                          -Gavin Tudor

Eddy tweeted his highlight video again last night. I think he was hoping to move up to D1 and hasn't drawn the interest he'd hoped for. Maybe that works out in KWC's favor.

Another interesting note: Just looked up Scotty Draud to see where he ended up. He played in 20 games for Thomas More last season. Guess he left earlier than I thought he did.

Comment

• The school released a story about signees yesterday. No mention of the pair from Bosco, though I've seen tweets showing their signing ceremonies, etc. Probably still working through details and such. I'd bet we'll see a release about them sometime in the next couple of weeks. Also added in 6'6" juco G/F Nu'Van Peterson (not sure about that spelling).

It's going to be interesting. I don't know the mindset of the administration but from my perspective next season has got to be considered "make or break" for Cooper. If he hasn't been able to build a team that can consistently compete in the top 1/4 of the conference by now he's not going to.

Comment

• Eddy Jones tweeted this morning that he is COMING BACK! Big win for Cooper.

Comment

• That is, indeed, a big win for Cooper.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X