Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLVC new pod format

I know we theorized about how they would handle the 15-team conference, but never remembered seeing anything official. Here's how they are planning on handling the next 2 seasons:
    http://glvcsports.com.s3.amazonaws.c...19.pdf?id=2530

Basically, 3 pods of 5 teams:
    East: UWP, Lewis, USI, BU, and UIndy
    Central: QU, UIS, Maryville, McK, and UMSL
    West: Rockhurst, WJ, Drury, Truman, and MoS&T

We play our divisional opponents home and away and nondivisional opponents once.
    It looks like we are sticking with a Thursday/Saturday schedule with one Monday thrown in there.
    Each team has two "bye" dates that they won't play. It doesn't appear that there is any type of "travel partner" system any more and the games appear to be pretty randomly thrown together. And USI lucked into ending the season with 4 straight road games.

Re: GLVC new pod format

Interestingly, USI only plays 3 Thursday conference games on the road and 3 Saturday conference games at home. I wonder what that does to already declining attendance...?

Comment

Originally posted by schnautza View Post
      Interestingly, USI only plays 3 Thursday conference games on the road and 3 Saturday conference games at home. I wonder what that does to already declining attendance...?
      Doesn't help. Well at least they have another reason this year to blame the declining attendance on. Actually I think attendance will be above average this year because of the three reitz boys playing together; wished it was for other reasons.

Comment

These divisions are not quite as ridiculous as we thought they maybe. However, the East is ridiculously tough, the West is so-so and the Central is a bunch of weaklings. I think the conference might be shooting itself in the foot as far as getting a team the #1 seed in the regional. The East has five of the top 10 schools in the region. Having to play each other twice will be difficult on the schedule. There's at least 3 losses for the top team right there as I bet the best team in the East will only get one win out of the 4 road games in the division. The West is where the division break down is a little better. We thought before that Drury would be the only decent team out there but with Truman there and Rockhurst coming on there should be some decent competition although those 3 get 4 easy victories each with S&T and WJ. The Central is a joke which is good in a way because there will be no serious contender in that group. Quincy was good last year but they graduated their top 4 players and will struggle this year.

As far as BU's schedule there is a few things to complain about other than the division makeup. They get Drury at home at least, although they have Rockhurst and Truman on the road on the same weekend. Kind of a long drive between Kansas City and Kirksville? They do have to play USI on the Monday game after traveling up north for Lewis and Parkside while USI gets their bye on the Saturday before. Speaking of byes, BU gets theirs on the first date and last date. Not a real help, while USI gets that bye before the Monday game and Parkside gets both their byes before playing BU. I'm sure if we studied everybody's schedule, partisans would say they are getting dumped on but I got to think the schedule is going to hurt the GLVC's best team (BU, of course) in its quest to get the #1 seed.

Comment

You are right, getting a bye in the first and last date of the season is like not getting a bye.

Comment

How will the conference tourney bids now be set up? The East division looks extremely tough, arguably the five best teams on paper are in the same division. This could end up compromising regional seeding for these five teams if they make it that far.

Comment

Originally posted by Horsepower View Post
              How will the conference tourney bids now be set up? The East division looks extremely tough, arguably the five best teams on paper are in the same division. This could end up compromising regional seeding for these five teams if they make it that far.
              I'm sure all 5 of the East teams will make the GLVC tourney, of course three or four of them will have to play the lead in game if they give the divisional champs an automatic bye. What this sets up again, is the situation where a couple of teams in the East will play each other 4 times this year. That is just silly especially if one team beats the other the first 3 times and then has to play them in the regional.

Comment

Originally posted by Horsepower View Post
                This could end up compromising regional seeding for these five teams if they make it that far.
                Oh most definitely it will compromise the regional seeding. On paper, all 5 of these teams have a good chance of making the regional, but when there will several of them with 4 to 6 losses just from divisional play, it will be tough to have a decent record to get in. Now on the flip side it will give each of them more chances at quality wins so they can prove their worth.

Comment

Although the divisions are not evenly remotely balanced, it may not have much of a bearing on NCAA tournament seeding. The committee has shown that SOS is a highly significant factor in the seeding. In fact, the team that may get screwed by the set up is a legitimately good team that plays in the weaker divisions (speaking theoritcally, not sure there will be such a team). In reality, each division acts like its own conference and the inter-divisional games are like out of conference games. Bottom line is that playing a tough schedule helps, not hurts your tournament seeding.

As far as known, returning teams there is little doubt that the five best teams are in the East. I presume that Drury will be good, based on Hesser's track record. I also think that Rockhusrst and Truman have solid coaches who will produce good, if not great teams.
                  I would rate the east in this order: BU, Indy, Parkside, USI, Lewis, although the only thing I am really sure of is that BU is the best of those teams. Indy and Lewis had young teams last year and will have more experienced players with some talent returning. Parkside is underated to start the season every year. They only lost two seniors from last season (2 of 3 top scorers, admittedly) and will be good again. I think Stein will make USI his team, and I have a hunch they will respond to his leadership.

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
                    Although the divisions are not evenly remotely balanced, it may not have much of a bearing on NCAA tournament seeding. The committee has shown that SOS is a highly significant factor in the seeding. In fact, the team that may get screwed by the set up is a legitimately good team that plays in the weaker divisions (speaking theoritcally, not sure there will be such a team). In reality, each division acts like its own conference and the inter-divisional games are like out of conference games. Bottom line is that playing a tough schedule helps, not hurts your tournament seeding.

As far as known, returning teams there is little doubt that the five best teams are in the East. I presume that Drury will be good, based on Hesser's track record. I also think that Rockhusrst and Truman have solid coaches who will produce good, if not great teams.
                    I would rate the east in this order: BU, Indy, Parkside, USI, Lewis, although the only thing I am really sure of is that BU is the best of those teams. Indy and Lewis had young teams last year and will have more experienced players with some talent returning. Parkside is underated to start the season every year. They only lost two seniors from last season (2 of 3 top scorers, admittedly) and will be good again. I think Stein will make USI his team, and I have a hunch they will respond to his leadership.
                    Maybe not for 4 of the teams. Just don't think all 5 can get in. I do think it could affect the #1 seed. For instance, what happens if UF finishes with 2-3 losses on the season, with a couple good wins against good non-conference teams (they do have a tough non-conference schedule) and blow through the GMAC (possible with KWC the only real competition there.) If the best team in the East (BU) gets tagged with at least 3 losses in divisional play and end up with 5 losses overall, do you think the committee will factor that in?

Comment

Originally posted by KnightStalker View Post
                      Maybe not for 4 of the teams. Just don't think all 5 can get in. I do think it could affect the #1 seed. For instance, what happens if UF finishes with 2-3 losses on the season, with a couple good wins against good non-conference teams (they do have a tough non-conference schedule) and blow through the GMAC (possible with KWC the only real competition there.) If the best team in the East (BU) gets tagged with at least 3 losses in divisional play and end up with 5 losses overall, do you think the committee will factor that in?
                      We speculate over this kind of thing every year, but which year in recent memory did this factor in and the best team didn't get to host?

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
                        You are right, getting a bye in the first and last date of the season is like not getting a bye.
                        Actually, I think a lot of coaches would look favorably on getting a bye the first date of the season. You get to have more practices before you have to play.

Comment

Originally posted by DUPanther View Post
                          We speculate over this kind of thing every year, but which year in recent memory did this factor in and the best team didn't get to host?
                          Could be an argument that 2016 regional host was decided by schedule. Parkside got it over BU, when the schedule had Parkside hosting BU at home. They won that game in overtime (although BU should have beaten them of course), otherwise their records would have been flipped and BU would have been the #1. Obviously SVSU proved that Parkside was not the best that year.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightStalker View Post
                            Could be an argument that 2016 regional host was decided by schedule. Parkside got it over BU, when the schedule had Parkside hosting BU at home. They won that game in overtime (although BU should have beaten them of course), otherwise their records would have been flipped and BU would have been the #1. Obviously SVSU proved that Parkside was not the best that year.
                            I wouldn't agree with that. You're using two different standards there. If results in the regional have anything to do with who should've hosted, then neither Parkside nor Bellarmine should've gotten it. However, regional hosting only has to do with games prior to the regional and no team was head and shoulders above Parkside in 2016. SVSU won it, but they lost 3 of their last 4 games prior to that, including to a barely .500 Walsh team.

Comment

Originally posted by DUPanther View Post
                              I wouldn't agree with that. You're using two different standards there. If results in the regional have anything to do with who should've hosted, then neither Parkside nor Bellarmine should've gotten it. However, regional hosting only has to do with games prior to the regional and no team was head and shoulders above Parkside in 2016. SVSU won it, but they lost 3 of their last 4 games prior to that, including to a barely .500 Walsh team.
                              My argument was more that the schedule did affect who got #1. If Parkside had played BU at home that year, chances are BU would have been #1. Now I understand that particular scheduling, swapping home games each year, is a necessity each time but it still was a time scheduling affected the #1 seed. The part about SVSU winning was just an aside to show that Parkside was not noticeably the best team that regular season. It happens to be the only year since 2010 that the host school did not win the regional.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X