Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the GLIAC still around?

I've noticed not one GLIAC thread has been started in this forum. Is the GLIAC still in the Midwest? Or do their fans just not care? Or are they focused on football this time of year? I realize the GLIAC is breaking up into small pieces thanks to the G-MAC raid of their private schools, but I thought someone from the GLIAC would want to discuss basketball. Maybe they need a marketing person like the Herdes-ites to promote their product. lol!

Re: Is the GLIAC still around?

I think the GLIAC seems down this year. I kind of like the talk over on the USI thread about athletes that were only there to play basketball and weren't really students. There aren't any of those that come to mind right away in the GLIAC

Comment

You'll find there's only a handful of GLIAC followers that ever post on the basketball board, and most of those support teams that will be G-MAC members next year.

Comment

Originally posted by ftballfan View Post
        I think the GLIAC seems down this year. I kind of like the talk over on the USI thread about athletes that were only there to play basketball and weren't really students. There aren't any of those that come to mind right away in the GLIAC
        Really? Well, I seem to recall Ashland and Coach Keith Dambrot forfeiting their regional title back in the late 1980s/early 1990s. Seems they were using ineligible players. I'm certain you simply forgot. Or let's not forget the scandal that hit the Northwood volleyball program years ago with all the foreign players. I think they were there just to play volleyball. And my favorite is the mighty Warriors of Wayne State and their men's basketball program a few years back with Coach Grier! I think he was also found playing gents who were there to simply play basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by kwcpantherfan View Post
          You'll find there's only a handful of GLIAC followers that ever post on the basketball board, and most of those support teams that will be G-MAC members next year.
          I agree with you. In five years, the GLIAC will not exist. Michigan Tech, Lake Superior and Northern Michigan will bolt for the NSIC, Ashland will plead to rejoin the GLVC, and Grand Valley State will have to find a place to play.

Comment

Originally posted by ftballfan View Post
            Here you are, regarding Ashland and its NCAA probation.

By Henry Franklin, Assistant Sports Editor

The NCAA’s infractions committee dealt justice to one athletic program and punishment to another Friday, and Central is feeling the heat. The committee put Division II Ashland (Oh.) on probation for seven violations during current CMU basketball coach Keith Dambrot’s tenure there from 1989-91 as head coach. Dambrot was not found to be involved in the violations, nor was he accused by the committee of any wrongdoing. Dambrot could not be reached for comment. But two of Dambrot’s assistant coaches at Ashland were cited for violations, including CMU assistant Barry Markwart. According to a story in the Jan. 9 issue of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Markwart is cited for “unethical conduct” because he “provided false and misleading information to the NCAA enforcement staff and to Ashland University.” The NCAA has penalized Markwart. barring him from off-campus recruiting, or from entertaining recruits. He cannot help student-athletes find housing or summer jobs, either, according to the NCAA penalties effective until Dec. 31, 1993. Markwart would not comment at press time, but said he has a prepared statement ready for Monday. CMU Athletic Direct,or Dave Keilitz said the violations Markwar^. made were not deserving of such stiff penalties. “They’re extremely severe for what the violations appear to be," he said. “They appear to be a minor violation. An interpretation of a rule. He was not aware it was a rule.” The Associated Press and Cleveland Plain Dealer contributed to this report

Comment

Let me make something very clear...I could care less about the silliness of NCAA rules, most of them are dumb and irrelevant to Division II basketball. But if you are a head coach, you can't get caught IF you are going to bend the rules. My point is, the GLIAC coaches, the GLVC coaches, the G-MAC coaches, Coach K., Coach Izzo, etc., they all bend the rules. But the smart ones usually don't get caught.

Comment

I believe Ashland was still in the GLVC when sanctions came down. they were tri-champs with KWC and BU in 1991
                Originally posted by EaglesPride View Post
                Really? Well, I seem to recall Ashland and Coach Keith Dambrot forfeiting their regional title back in the late 1980s/early 1990s. Seems they were using ineligible players. I'm certain you simply forgot. Or let's not forget the scandal that hit the Northwood volleyball program years ago with all the foreign players. I think they were there just to play volleyball. And my favorite is the mighty Warriors of Wayne State and their men's basketball program a few years back with Coach Grier! I think he was also found playing gents who were there to simply play basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by BUFAN View Post
                  I believe Ashland was still in the GLVC when sanctions came down. they were tri-champs with KWC and BU in 1991
                  You are correct. I was pointing out many of the present GLIAC members have plenty of skeletons in their NCAA closets. Ashland certainly was a great men's basketball program until they were caught by the NCAA.

Comment

I agree with you. In five years, the GLIAC will not exist. Michigan Tech, Lake Superior and Northern Michigan will bolt for the NSIC, Ashland will plead to rejoin the GLVC, and Grand Valley State will have to find a place to play.
                    I can't imagine that the NSIC or GLVC will want to expand. Both have 16 full members, which is a pretty big slate of conference games. If I'm not mistaken, the RMAC is the only other conference with 16 teams. The only conference with more is the PSAC with 18.

Comment

Originally posted by schnautza View Post
                      I can't imagine that the NSIC or GLVC will want to expand. Both have 16 full members, which is a pretty big slate of conference games. If I'm not mistaken, the RMAC is the only other conference with 16 teams. The only conference with more is the PSAC with 18.
                      Started to respond to this before I saw your response, schnautza, but yes, it would be borderline shocking if the NSIC expanded its borders that far, and I'm pretty sure the Michigan schools wouldn't find it worthwhile.

For example, here are a few of the travel distances:

-Northern Michigan to Minot University (Marquette, MI to Minot, ND) -- 12 hours and 25 minutes

-Lake Superior (Marie, MI) to Minot -- 15 hours and 22 minutes by car...probably even slower by bus

-Michigan Tech (Houghton, MI) to Minot -- just under 12 hours

Those are obviously the longest drives (although the University of Mary in Bismarck, ND, is only a couple of hours closer at most, so even that drive would still be really long, and Wayne State College down in Wayne Nebraska is also very similar in distance), but even the more average distances--Minnesota State Mankato to Lake Superior, for example--are still around 7 and a half hours, with several falling in the 7-10 hour range, I believe.

On top of that, the NSIC is a Friday/Saturday conference, so you'd end up with a team driving 8, 12, 15 hours to play a game Friday night, turn around and drive 2-3 hours to the next night's game location, get in around 1 or 2 AM, then play again the next night, then drive 8, 12, 15 hours back.

Beyond the sheer numbers of having 18-20 teams in the conference (unlikely), the travel distances would be brutal on budgets and, frankly, on the sanity and health of the players and coaches.

If anything, a more realistic (though still unrealistic) possibility would be the NSIC tearing in half through an east/west split and some of the west teams (Minnesota schools, primarily) joining up with some of the Michigan teams. But then you'd still have teams like SMSU in Marshall, Minnesota, which would be an 11+ hour drive from Lake Superior to SMSU.

Like I said, I'd be shocked if this were something that even got more consideration from the conference officials and administrators than the time it took me to write this post. But, with the way the D2 landscape is changing, I guess I can't say it's 100% impossible. But probably 99.5% impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                        Started to respond to this before I saw your response, schnautza, but yes, it would be borderline shocking if the NSIC expanded its borders that far, and I'm pretty sure the Michigan schools wouldn't find it worthwhile.

For example, here are a few of the travel distances:

-Northern Michigan to Minot University (Marquette, MI to Minot, ND) -- 12 hours and 25 minutes

-Lake Superior (Marie, MI) to Minot -- 15 hours and 22 minutes by car...probably even slower by bus

-Michigan Tech (Houghton, MI) to Minot -- just under 12 hours

Those are obviously the longest drives (although the University of Mary in Bismarck, ND, is only a couple of hours closer at most, so even that drive would still be really long, and Wayne State College down in Wayne Nebraska is also very similar in distance), but even the more average distances--Minnesota State Mankato to Lake Superior, for example--are still around 7 and a half hours, with several falling in the 7-10 hour range, I believe.

On top of that, the NSIC is a Friday/Saturday conference, so you'd end up with a team driving 8, 12, 15 hours to play a game Friday night, turn around and drive 2-3 hours to the next night's game location, get in around 1 or 2 AM, then play again the next night, then drive 8, 12, 15 hours back.

Beyond the sheer numbers of having 18-20 teams in the conference (unlikely), the travel distances would be brutal on budgets and, frankly, on the sanity and health of the players and coaches.

If anything, a more realistic (though still unrealistic) possibility would be the NSIC tearing in half through an east/west split and some of the west teams (Minnesota schools, primarily) joining up with some of the Michigan teams. But then you'd still have teams like SMSU in Marshall, Minnesota, which would be an 11+ hour drive from Lake Superior to SMSU.

Like I said, I'd be shocked if this were something that even got more consideration from the conference officials and administrators than the time it took me to write this post. But, with the way the D2 landscape is changing, I guess I can't say it's 100% impossible. But probably 99.5% impossible.
                        Excellent points, very good information. I know the Northern Sun was in our region for basketball in 1996 when we hosted the Great Lakes Regional in the PAC, Northern State visited Evansville back then. But your points are valid concerning travel. If this is correct, I would say the three Michigan schools in the UP will be faced with some difficult decisions...none are Division I funded, the GLIAC is falling apart, and the NSIC is too much travel.

Comment

I don't know much about Northern Michigan, but I do know that both Grand Valley State and Michigan Tech are HUGE schools that I would expect could easily make the transition to D1 if they felt that was their best option.

Comment

Well, the GLIAC has expanded and taken one out of the GLVC's territory. Look at this story. Commish Naumovich dropping the territorial ball.
                            http://www.gliac.org/general/2016-17...20160927r4n8cp

Comment

Originally posted by kwcpantherfan View Post
                              I don't know much about Northern Michigan, but I do know that both Grand Valley State and Michigan Tech are HUGE schools that I would expect could easily make the transition to D1 if they felt that was their best option.
                              GVSU content in D2, talked to them many times during the baseball regional here at USI. They don't have the money for D-1 either. Michigan Tech is struggling with financial issues for past three years, no D-1 for them either.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X