Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations to the Lady Panthers on winning their fifth straight conference championship and sixth in seven years.

Taking over a program that lost four outstanding players to graduation, Amy Eagan coached her team to a 20 win season while covering her team's weaknesses with some outstanding coaching. She put her team into position to be able to host the conference and regional tournaments.

Meanwhile, the GLVC Coach of the Year bows out in the first round.

Comment

• Kudos to Hesser and the Panthers for not throwing in the towel on a tough season with multiple important players out for the season and multiple quarantines. They proved to be a tough late season out yet again finishing 5 points shy of the auto bid. God willing, this group will prove what they are capable of next season.

Comment

• Drury coach Steve Hesser retires after 17 seasons and a .709 winning percentage including a National Championship and National Coach of the Year award.

Comment

• There is a lot of activity in the transfer portal, including two Drury seniors.

Now we get to experience the after effects of this season.

Comment

• The Lady Panther game for Saturday is sold out. They will probably only allow 300 to 400 fans for this event that normally draws 2000 plus. This is better than no fans allowed for sure.

Comment

• The Lady Panthers beat Truman for the second time in a week advancing to the Regional Final where they will play Ashland.

Ashland is impressive with their athleticism and defense and may be able to match up with Paige Robinson, a task no GLVC team was able to accomplish. She clearly was the best point guard in the league.

Truman's Weltha is a fun player to watch as she absolutely dominates the boards and she is only a sophomore. She needs to get more mobile on defense though as Drury's forwards made short jumpers on Truman's bigs repeatedly.

Truman is well coached and has some talent to build around. Maybe they can get the players that have been out back on the floor next season.

Drury started the season pressing full court and averaging 90 points a game. With the depleted roster and significant injuries some active players have now, Eagan has revamped the game plan and done a fantastic job covering her team's weaknesses. Hopefully this continues for at least another game.

Comment

• Comment

• Lots of respect for Ashland. I've been following the schedule/results and am not surprised they made it this far. This is turning into a rivalry of National proportions.

One thing the elite programs have is the crowd support. That is an obvious advantage in the recruiting game. Drury and Ashland have this.

Another thought: Hopefully the fans come back with a kinder gentler attitude. It will be interesting to see what happens in regard to this.

Comment

• Originally posted by crazznewt View Post

Lots of respect for Ashland. I've been following the schedule/results and am not surprised they made it this far. This is turning into a rivalry of National proportions.

One thing the elite programs have is the crowd support. That is an obvious advantage in the recruiting game. Drury and Ashland have this.

Another thought: Hopefully the fans come back with a kinder gentler attitude. It will be interesting to see what happens in regard to this.

I agree with this. Ashland has much respect for Drury and what they have accomplished. These regional battles have been great the past few years.

The funny thing about crows support is Ashland up until the last 2 games has played in front of no one. The GLIAC did not allow any fans including parents. This is usually a nice advantage for Ashland at home that most schools don't have.

Comment

• Originally posted by unc4life View Post

I agree with this. Ashland has much respect for Drury and what they have accomplished. These regional battles have been great the past few years.

The funny thing about crows support is Ashland up until the last 2 games has played in front of no one. The GLIAC did not allow any fans including parents. This is usually a nice advantage for Ashland at home that most schools don't have.
                      The GLVC did not allow anyone to attend their games this season either. Heck, the players and the referees had to clean up the sweat on the floor themselves this season.

The announcers have commented that they hear things at the games that they normally dont hear. Players talking on the court, coaches in the huddles, the expletives when a shot is missed etc.

The GLVC's free livestreaming of the games has been invaluable in allowing the fans to continue to follow their teams. A couple of schools are behind on their production quality, while others like Drury have better clarity and multiple camera angles.

Comment

• Interesting goings-on in Springfield. Coach retires and five players willingly are packing their bags and have entered the transfer portal, including three of the top five scorers from this year.

Comment

• I honestly don't know if there is anything "interesting" going on. There's been talk for a while the coach was ready to step down.

Three of the players "willingly" leaving are seniors. I attended a Drury Basketball luncheon a while back and the question was asked about possible returning seniors for
                          next season. The answer was that there were three players wanting to return for another season but there were issues of scholarship money etc.

One transfer wants to play football as he was a highly recruited All-State stud in HS. Another player was almost never used. This leaves the Davis kid as the only surprise loss.

There is excitement surrounding the program concerning the interest in the head coaching position. I believe this program is in great shape.

In all humility what I find interesting is the fact Truman's head coach was suspended at the most important time of the year.
                          Last edited by crazznewt; 03-15-2021, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• Wow! I am really an Ashland fan now.
                            https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=2847686012156483

Comment

• Originally posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post
                              Interesting goings-on in Springfield. Coach retires and five players willingly are packing their bags and have entered the transfer portal, including three of the top five scorers from this year.

Comment

• The Lady Panthers should be favored to win the conference for the sixth straight season after scholarship issues were resolved for 3 senior starters to return for a fifth season. They now have four returning starters including the NCAA D2 National Player of the Year.

Also returning will be Alana Findlay, who was instrumental in Drury's late season run. Mia Henderson also returns after missing her sophomore season with an undisclosed illness. She is possibly the best returning athlete.

The incoming recruits are highly accomplished, athletic, and skilled. This is including one elite athlete at the D2 level. Eagan needs to land a big transfer in my opinion as there are plenty available in the portal. This would make them national contenders again.

There has been no published information about the men's team that I can find.
                                Last edited by crazznewt; 04-06-2021, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X