Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drury Panthers

Originally posted by schnautza View Post
    I sort of wonder if the award is given to the coach that exceeds expectations. Given that Stein and Company have had many years of mediocrity, the last two seasons have been a major lift and I can see why that would be deserving of COY. Although I say that without knowing anything about DU's women's team and their history.
    That is a point well taken if not for the fact that Scott Davenport has won this thing three times....... dang it looks like my thunder was stolen.

Comment

Originally posted by DUPanther View Post
      Not trying to take a shot at you, but that's always what's said when the coach with the best team doesn't win it, and I can see some situations where that would be appropriate.

However, if what you're saying is true, then Scotty shouldn't have won it on the men's side this year. He's 1 game worse in the conference than he was last year, with arguably more talent than he had last year. Just to be clear, I think that reasoning doesn't hold water, but that's where it would lead you if the COY is supposed to go to the coach that "exceeds expectations". If that's the case, then Maryville's coach should win it hands down.
      With over 40 getting All something maybe they should give awards to about half the coaches too.
      15 teams half the starters in league got ALL.

Comment

Good points, I haven't even looked to see that Davenport got it this year. So there goes that theory. Unless the men's and women's coaches collectively think a little differently. *shrugs*

Comment

Yes, it's only the coaches that vote.

There's obviously just some schools that have coaches who won't vote for Drury's coach on either the men's or women's sides. That's pretty obvious at this point. Hesser was National COY in '13, won the league, won the region, won the national championship AND the year before that he went 10-8 in the league...so not only was he hands down the best team, but he was also won the "exceeded expectations" argument. The fact that he's never been GLVC COY tells you everything you need to know. I like Molly, and it's a joke she hasn't won it either, but she doesn't have Hesser's resume.

Comment

Originally posted by DUPanther View Post
            Yes, it's only the coaches that vote.

There's obviously just some schools that have coaches who won't vote for Drury's coach on either the men's or women's sides. That's pretty obvious at this point. Hesser was National COY in '13, won the league, won the region, won the national championship AND the year before that he went 10-8 in the league...so not only was he hands down the best team, but he was also won the "exceeded expectations" argument. The fact that he's never been GLVC COY tells you everything you need to know. I like Molly, and it's a joke she hasn't won it either, but she doesn't have Hesser's resume.
            I am being serious when I ask, are some of the coaches just jealous of Drury or what? I mean I totally agree that the women's coach and Hesser have been very deserving in years past and present. What explains the denial? If it was merely a popularity contest among the coaches, how do we explain Scotty getting it 4 times? I certainly love him and BU fans definitely do, but I am not blind of that fact that he is probably not too popular outside of his fan base. I think Scotty definitely deserved the award every year he won but Hesser definitely deserved it in '13 and '14. So instead of jealousy of individual coaches it must be more jealousy or dislike of everything Drury? Still not understand that as I have nothing but respect for the school and have never heard a bad thing about it. If the COY award was important, this snubbing of DU coaches would really be disturbing.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightStalker View Post
              I am being serious when I ask, are some of the coaches just jealous of Drury or what? I mean I totally agree that the women's coach and Hesser have been very deserving in years past and present. What explains the denial? If it was merely a popularity contest among the coaches, how do we explain Scotty getting it 4 times? I certainly love him and BU fans definitely do, but I am not blind of that fact that he is probably not too popular outside of his fan base. I think Scotty definitely deserved the award every year he won but Hesser definitely deserved it in '13 and '14. So instead of jealousy of individual coaches it must be more jealousy or dislike of everything Drury? Still not understand that as I have nothing but respect for the school and have never heard a bad thing about it. If the COY award was important, this snubbing of DU coaches would really be disturbing.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightStalker View Post
                I honestly don't know. Being that a coach from the East has won or shared it 8 of the past 9 years, though, all signs point to some coaches in the East not wanting to vote for anyone outside their own division.

Comment

Originally posted by Redswin View Post
                  You have to take the glasses off and think with your head and not your heart. Lol! You all have the same winning percentage as last year. USI has a better winning percentage than last year. Stein is hands down the coach of the year. This not even debatable! Lol!
                  Rick Stein has been the USI Coach the entire time Drury has been in the conference. His record against Drury is 4-14. The four years Molly Miller has been Head Coach his record is 1-4. This year he got beat by 16 points. Overall this season he has lost more games than she has. So again why is he a back to back coach of the year and Molly Miller whose career coaching record is 108-15 and 26-2 this year not?

Comment

The Drury Women won their 3rd GLVC championship in 4 years today and are 29 - 2 so far this year. It sucks that they likely will be in the same bracket with Southern Indiana in the regional having played them twice already this year.

Comment

Originally posted by DUFan View Post
                      Rick Stein has been the USI Coach the entire time Drury has been in the conference. His record against Drury is 4-14. The four years Molly Miller has been Head Coach his record is 1-4. This year he got beat by 16 points. Overall this season he has lost more games than she has. So again why is he a back to back coach of the year and Molly Miller whose career coaching record is 108-15 and 26-2 this year not?
                      Our Back to Back Conference COY just went to 0-2 this year against Molly Miller and 1-5 lifetime. Embarrassing.

Comment

Our Back to Back Conference COY just went to 0-2 this year against Molly Miller and 1-5 lifetime. Embarrassing.
                        Your coach?

Comment

Originally posted by glvcpro View Post
                          Your coach?

Comment

The only thing I can imagine is no east coach will vote for a coach in those so called weak divisions and those other coaches don't know who to vote for. If they look at both records they can see that Molly does as well as Stein does against the east and the others. Last season we had 2 of the worse teams in the conference in Parkside and Quincy, and Parkside and Indy this yr. Her better record and beating his butt? COY stolen from her 2 straight yrs!

Comment

Comment

Telling stat from the weekend: Lady Panthers forced 97 turnovers in the 3 games. That's impressive considering the opposition knows the pressure defense is coming.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X