Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Re: Southern Indiana Screaming Eagles

They have a chance to get it right but I expect them to hire some numbnuts like Chris Lowery. Just picture it now....both Universities coached by 2 Saluki flunkies. Just seems so fitting.

Comment

Give the outgoing Prez at UE credit for making this decision and not leaving the decision to his replacement. USI should follow his leadership and do the right thing!

Comment

• Originally posted by EagleLady View Post
          Give the outgoing Prez at UE credit for making this decision and not leaving the decision to his replacement. USI should follow his leadership and do the right thing!

Comment

Laughed when I seen Evansville canned Marty Simmons and all the UE people who always told me they had the greatest coach ever in Marty. USI has a horrible coach and I admit it but Evansville is different. Marty played at UE and really did a good job at SIUE but might had stayed there cause UE not a good place. I heard UE still considering dropping down to D-2? USI and UE would be great travel partners in the GLVC, a terrible basketball league now. GLVC can't even beat the freaking GMAC in the NCAA tournament? So much for Davenport and Bellarmine.

Comment

Originally posted by Duluth Sleuth View Post
              Laughed when I seen Evansville canned Marty Simmons and all the UE people who always told me they had the greatest coach ever in Marty. USI has a horrible coach and I admit it but Evansville is different. Marty played at UE and really did a good job at SIUE but might had stayed there cause UE not a good place. I heard UE still considering dropping down to D-2? USI and UE would be great travel partners in the GLVC, a terrible basketball league now. GLVC can't even beat the freaking GMAC in the NCAA tournament? So much for Davenport and Bellarmine.
              if ue drops down it will be to d3

Comment

Originally posted by Duluth Sleuth View Post
                Such a "terrible" league it had a top 5 team in it and put 3 teams in the national tournament.

Also, and anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is the first time in the last EIGHT years that the GLVC hasn't had a team in the Elite Eight. Did any other conference in the country have a team in the E8 every year for the last 8 years?

Comment

No....Saginaw won the regional a couple of years ago. Bellarmine is carrying the league as they are the 1 really good team.

Originally posted by DUPanther View Post
                  Such a "terrible" league it had a top 5 team in it and put 3 teams in the national tournament.

Also, and anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is the first time in the last EIGHT years that the GLVC hasn't had a team in the Elite Eight. Did any other conference in the country have a team in the E8 every year for the last 8 years?

Comment

Originally posted by bkingbroker View Post
                    No....Saginaw won the regional a couple of years ago. Bellarmine is carrying the league as they are the 1 really good team.
                    True about Bellarmine. I believe Truman and Drury are 2 teams on the upswing though.

Comment

• Comment

Forgot about Saginaw. However, the fact remains that the GLVC has dominated this regional. To say it's a terrible basketball league is ridiculous.

If being a top 10 team nationally is the standard for being "really good", then most of the good D2 leagues in the country only have 1 "really good" team. The MIAA is an extremely good league and they didn't win an NCAA tourney game this year.

Comment

It's stupid to say the GLVC is a terrible league, however it is also a fact that it is no longer dominant in the region like it has been in the past. Top to bottom the three leagues are really quite balanced now that the private GLIAC schools have moved to the G-MAC. I know many on here regard the G-MAC as a joke but if you have any level of objectivity you have to admit that this is no longer the case.

Comment

Agree...if you factor out Bellarmine it changes the lens completely. They were the only team this year capable of beating any of the other non GLVC teams in the region.

Wod has tried to use the history of the league to justify his ineptitude. It is just another poor excuse by a bad politician. Wod would be a good Commish for the GLVC. Maybe someone should suggest that to him.

Originally posted by kdubnation View Post
                            It's stupid to say the GLVC is a terrible league, however it is also a fact that it is no longer dominant in the region like it has been in the past. Top to bottom the three leagues are really quite balanced now that the private GLIAC schools have moved to the G-MAC. I know many on here regard the G-MAC as a joke but if you have any level of objectivity you have to admit that this is no longer the case.

Comment

Agree...if you factor out Bellarmine it changes the lens completely. They were the only team this year capable of beating any of the other non GLVC teams in the region.

Wod has tried to use the history of the league to justify his ineptitude. It is just another poor excuse by a bad politician. Wod would be a good Commish for the GLVC. Maybe someone should suggest that to him.
                              If by "non-GLVC teams" you mean Findlay and Ferris, I guess so. Both of those are top 10 national teams. If you take a look at the other non-GLVC teams in the region (Ohio Dominican, Lake Superior, Hillsdale), I think you're way off. Wod thumped Lake Superior, and they were about the only good team he was able to beat all year. If you take away the GLIAC and GMAC's best team, you could say the same thing about either of those leagues. Take Ferris out of the GLIAC and the only team they got into the regional got beat by 17 by the 6th best team in the GLVC.

Again, I'm not saying the GLVC is definitely still dominating the region, but overall the GLVC HAS dominated the region since they put the regional system into effect. That's an indisputable fact. After that run, to look at this year and say that the GLVC is "terrible" because they didn't win the region is idiotic. Will this year be a blip and we'll see another run of 6 of 8 years where the Elite 8 representative from this region is from the GLVC? Who knows. No one can answer that until it happens. People were probably saying the GLVC "dominance" was over when KWC's runs ended 15 years ago too. Then St. Joe's made an E8, SIUE made an E8, Bellarmine made a bunch of them, and Drury went to a couple (has USI also made one since then?). Here we are 15+ years after KWC went to their last Elite 8 and the GLVC has dominated that stretch of time.
                              Last edited by DUPanther; 03-16-2018, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Just to clarify what I was saying - When I say "the GLVC doesn't dominate the region" anymore, I'm not as much defining that as winning the regional tournament but moreso the concept that if you were to have every GLVC team play every GLIAC and G-MAC team, the GLVC would come out as the dominant league. Which is not something that's been tested of course, but I mean just from the eyeball test you could have made the case that even before the G-MAC existed the GLVC would be like 80-20 against the GLIAC in that kind of thing. I don't know if it makes sense to explain it that way. The overall point that I was trying to make was that the three leagues, taken as wholes, no longer represent a CLEAR "Excellent, Decent, Bad" type of hierarchy within the region like they did even as recently as last season. That said, I DO still think the Midwest region as a whole has to be considered one of, if not the strongest region in D2.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X