Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always the optimist, I'm predicting USI wins tonight in a nail-biter, 78-77. I suspect the Screaming Eagles have the bigger crowd tonight.

Comment

• Sheesh the last minute of regulation neither team wanted to win!

Comment

• Yeah, that was a pretty stupid move to end regulation and we were fortunate to see overtime due to 3 missed FTs. Overall Eagles showed grit making many comeback runs. The new D1 3pt line did not do us any favors, so it's tough to get a read on that, but glad to see we hung with them for most of the game.

Comment

• I'd like to take a minute to share my thoughts on the UE athletics administration and how they handle this "Community Classic" event.
          This is the 5th time we've met in exhibition with the title "Vectren Community Classic". It's not a regular season UE game. It's an event to feature both local teams. This is the first time UE has allowed the USI band to play inside the building. In years past, they've relegated us to the parking lot for pregame. So, thank you for finally letting us represent our half of the community classic.

HOWEVER, we've never felt more unwelcome as we did last night. We arrived to find that the UE band had the visitor side endzone, and Bud Light had the other side. We were in the nosebleed section above the UE band, given one tiny landing and two rows of seats at the very top. We were not given a headset or a game script, so there was virtually no communication with us to tell us when to play.

For pregame, they gave us a total of 90 seconds to play, and the UE band got about 10 minutes. No opportunity to play the fight song when the team came out.

We got the last 15 seconds of the under-12:00 timeout (gee, thanks), which we crammed in half of the school song.

At the end of the half, UE played their fight song, and we decided we would just go for it after they finished - they started playing a loud video over the top of us.

During halftime, we were given the last 30 seconds, which we fit about half of one song in.

The next time that UE played their fight song, we quickly followed them with ours, and the sound guy cranked his music up even louder over the top of us. It was infuriating.

In total, I think we managed to play our fight song 3 times and only two other songs got squeezed in. Why did they bother inviting us if we weren't allowed to play anything? Why didn't they give us a headset or some instructions? Why did we waste our time lugging equipment across town and to the nosebleed section of the Ford Center?

HOW CAN THEY CALL THIS A COMMUNITY CLASSIC IF THEY TREAT IT LIKE A REGULAR HOME GAME? I've never felt so disrespected as a band than last night.

Comment

• D1 can keep their brand of overpriced, over hyped, over budget, often mediocre sports. There is jealousy anytime any other local college team gets recognition. And as you found out, will try to muffle you out.
            Most families cant afford to regularly attend a typical D1 game.
            8 dollars for a popcorn/drink combo is absurd.

Comment

• Comment

• I see that the UE forum has noticed our thread (https://www.purpleacesfans.com/viewt...9901&start=280)
                If anybody over there cares to hear a little more of an Eagle's opinion of the game, I'll share.

First, know that this forum was basically rebuilt and relocated this summer, and many of the old (crazy) posters have not found their way to the new website. There's not a lot of discussion here at the moment because of that, but thankfully, there's a lot less crazy here now. Also, discussion picks up a bit once we get into regular games.

As a USI fan, we've always heard from the UE fan base that we are basically 2nd-tier citizens and how D2 is weak/unimportant/irrelevant, etc. It's a bit frustrating to hear so frequently. But most of us in the GLVC have seen first-hand how strong the top tier of D2 can be (Bellarmine, USI, Drury, etc) and genuinely believe that high level D2 can match up with mid-major D1 programs on any night. We usually get laughed at for saying that, but then we see USI match up with UE and our point is made quite clearly. Of the five times USI and UE have met, one went into 2OT, one in OT, and one was a 2-pt loss. Only one of the 5 matches had a considerable point spread, and it was definitely a down year for USI. I look forward to this matchup because it's definitely a winnable game for us, and even if we lose by a close margin, it's proven to you all that D2 teams can play at (or close to) a D1 level.

So I predicted a 1-pt win from USI on this game, feeling that both teams play at about the same level. The overtime results with a 3-pt spread meant I wasn't far off.

I think both teams looked like they were struggling out of the gate. At one point, I had commented to somebody "It's a good thing they are playing just as badly as we are". The widest point spread was 8 for the game. USI, much like last year's final 4 team, was able to string together many runs to pull in from behind. We had almost an entire roster of new faces, so I think that this had to do with our slow start. Also, we were missing a couple starters with Rivera (point guard, out for academics) and Caldwell (leading scorer, torn Achilles). Plug those two players in at full health and you would have definitely seen an upset.

It seemed like our inside game was the ticket against UE. Little, Price, Dancy were all able to score under the basket pretty easily. Our 3-pt shooters quickly backed off after the first couple attempts - the 3-pt line moved back in D1 this season but D2 has another year before the change happens, so they hadn't practiced with that at all. I noticed one of our guys stepped out of bounds on his 3-attempt, most likely because he was a little disoriented with the smaller space.

Honestly, I think you all are being pretty hard on yourselves over this game. I've got a feeling if UE and USI played every year, USI would have pulled several upsets. USI very likely could make the jump to D1 with the Horizon or the Valley and make that 0.500 record.

I'm sorry for the rant over the band, and you probably already think I'm crazy, but put yourself in our shoes - I'm sure you'd feel a bit frustrated if the DJ was cranking up their music even louder over the top of your very-limited playing time. Extremely rude of them. And there was plenty of room to fit both bands down there with your bar. My complaint is that they treated it like a home game rather than the advertised "community classic", which implies both sides of the community are worth treating fairly.

The other gripe I have is the lack of class from many of the students after the game. Many of them turned around to taunt us after the win...which I felt was very ironic, since you just barely escaped getting beaten in a single-possession overtime by a "lowly D2" team. Some student even intentionally rammed our director (playing his trombone) on the way up the stairs at the end, jamming his horn into his face while he was playing our school song. That's not only incredibly rude, but very dangerous to the teeth/mouth/lips. Lucky he didn't end up with a broken tooth or busted lip. She laughed about it as she walked off. And you guys wonder why we get upset.

Comment

• Originally posted by schnautza View Post
                  I see that the UE forum has noticed our thread (https://www.purpleacesfans.com/viewt...9901&start=280)
                  If anybody over there cares to hear a little more of an Eagle's opinion of the game, I'll share.

First, know that this forum was basically rebuilt and relocated this summer, and many of the old (crazy) posters have not found their way to the new website. There's not a lot of discussion here at the moment because of that, but thankfully, there's a lot less crazy here now. Also, discussion picks up a bit once we get into regular games.

As a USI fan, we've always heard from the UE fan base that we are basically 2nd-tier citizens and how D2 is weak/unimportant/irrelevant, etc. It's a bit frustrating to hear so frequently. But most of us in the GLVC have seen first-hand how strong the top tier of D2 can be (Bellarmine, USI, Drury, etc) and genuinely believe that high level D2 can match up with mid-major D1 programs on any night. We usually get laughed at for saying that, but then we see USI match up with UE and our point is made quite clearly. Of the five times USI and UE have met, one went into 2OT, one in OT, and one was a 2-pt loss. Only one of the 5 matches had a considerable point spread, and it was definitely a down year for USI. I look forward to this matchup because it's definitely a winnable game for us, and even if we lose by a close margin, it's proven to you all that D2 teams can play at (or close to) a D1 level.

So I predicted a 1-pt win from USI on this game, feeling that both teams play at about the same level. The overtime results with a 3-pt spread meant I wasn't far off.

I think both teams looked like they were struggling out of the gate. At one point, I had commented to somebody "It's a good thing they are playing just as badly as we are". The widest point spread was 8 for the game. USI, much like last year's final 4 team, was able to string together many runs to pull in from behind. We had almost an entire roster of new faces, so I think that this had to do with our slow start. Also, we were missing a couple starters with Rivera (point guard, out for academics) and Caldwell (leading scorer, torn Achilles). Plug those two players in at full health and you would have definitely seen an upset.

It seemed like our inside game was the ticket against UE. Little, Price, Dancy were all able to score under the basket pretty easily. Our 3-pt shooters quickly backed off after the first couple attempts - the 3-pt line moved back in D1 this season but D2 has another year before the change happens, so they hadn't practiced with that at all. I noticed one of our guys stepped out of bounds on his 3-attempt, most likely because he was a little disoriented with the smaller space.

Honestly, I think you all are being pretty hard on yourselves over this game. I've got a feeling if UE and USI played every year, USI would have pulled several upsets. USI very likely could make the jump to D1 with the Horizon or the Valley and make that 0.500 record.

I'm sorry for the rant over the band, and you probably already think I'm crazy, but put yourself in our shoes - I'm sure you'd feel a bit frustrated if the DJ was cranking up their music even louder over the top of your very-limited playing time. Extremely rude of them. And there was plenty of room to fit both bands down there with your bar. My complaint is that they treated it like a home game rather than the advertised "community classic", which implies both sides of the community are worth treating fairly.

The other gripe I have is the lack of class from many of the students after the game. Many of them turned around to taunt us after the win...which I felt was very ironic, since you just barely escaped getting beaten in a single-possession overtime by a "lowly D2" team. Some student even intentionally rammed our director (playing his trombone) on the way up the stairs at the end, jamming his horn into his face while he was playing our school song. That's not only incredibly rude, but very dangerous to the teeth/mouth/lips. Lucky he didn't end up with a broken tooth or busted lip. She laughed about it as she walked off. And you guys wonder why we get upset.

Comment

• UE fans still delusional. There a reason
                    lick left and graves took a lesser position at a former program of equal. UE too full of themselves to admit they screwed the pooch by not only hiring Marty put keeping him around way too long.
                    ue fan base so old they got to start games at 6 so blue hairs can get home and watch David James and Mike Blake and be in bed by 1030.
                    Usi will finish high in league overall deeper team and league and d2 continually weakening as teams go D1 or out of business.

Comment

• So is Caldwell out for the season? If not, is there an expected return?

Is Mateo going to be eligible for the second semester?

Comment

• Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
                        So is Caldwell out for the season? If not, is there an expected return?

Is Mateo going to be eligible for the second semester?
                        Caldwell is expected to return after Christmas. Rivera...haven't heard but I assume they'd be doing everything possible to get his academics back in line to be eligible next semester.
                        If nothing else, this forces the rest of the team to play harder and IF the other two end up joining, that's just additional weaponry second semester.

Comment

• So glad to see the season in motion now as USI knocks off Hillsdale in a pretty convincing fashion. If I recall correctly, they've given us issues for the past couple years in the first games of the season. I hope this easy win is a good sign for what's to come.

Comment

• They looked pretty darn good to me too. Loved the way they attacked the bucket and, didn't look to chunk up the first outside shot. Little just sticks his face in there and gets after it. Encouraging, considering we have two potential starters still out in Rivera and Caldwell.

Comment

• Two region wins...great weekend

Comment

• Is Evansville #1 now???

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X