X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lindenwood to GLVC

https://glvcsports.com/news/2018/10/...th-member.aspx

Re: Lindenwood to GLVC

Another team to knock USI down into the conference cellar.

Comment

Solid addition to the conference. Lindenwood has created one heck of a campus over the past several years.

Originally posted by WestSideMafia View Post
      Another team to knock USI down into the conference cellar.

Comment

Originally posted by bkingbroker View Post
        Solid addition to the conference. Lindenwood has created one heck of a campus over the past several years.
        Agreed -- due to a family connection, I've seen that impressive growth. Definitely a better addition than the satellite LU-Bellewood.

Comment

Great news. Very solid addition and also right in the center of our geographic footprint.

I'm still curious how much longer Lewis hangs on before jumping to GLIAC. If they do, we return to 15 teams and who will be the replacement? Lincoln? Central MO? Upper Iowa? (UI is island of their own but they would be closer to more GLVC teams than NSIC)

Comment

Originally posted by schnautza View Post
            Great news. Very solid addition and also right in the center of our geographic footprint.

I'm still curious how much longer Lewis hangs on before jumping to GLIAC. If they do, we return to 15 teams and who will be the replacement? Lincoln? Central MO? Upper Iowa? (UI is island of their own but they would be closer to more GLVC teams than NSIC)
            Missouri Southern would die to get in.

Comment

Originally posted by DUFan View Post
              Missouri Southern would die to get in.
              Is there some bad blood in the MIAA?

Comment

Is there some bad blood in the MIAA?
                I think it's just becoming an arms-race in that league for who can have the biggest video board or indoor facility, and a lot of the schools aren't in a great budget spot to keep up. Also, it's a league that's whole-heartedly focused on football, so if you're not in that upper echelon, it's really hard to get there.

I also can't ever see Lincoln joining since they are missing a bunch of the league's core sports (baseball, both soccers, volleyball), and there was something published recently that showed they had a 6-year graduation rate in the high teens. That's not going to move the academic needle whatsoever for the GLVC.

Comment

Last edited by DUFan; 10-07-2018, 06:46 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Comment

Well dang... here's all the GLVC fans, lol.
                    Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post
                      Well dang... here's all the GLVC fans, lol.
                      Are you with Lindenwood? Welcome to our dumpster fire of a forum. It's quite entertaining here.
                      Being that most of our big-name programs (BU, USI, DU) doesn't have football programs, most of us hang out exclusively in the basketball forum. That seems to be the GLVC's strongest sport.
                      Last edited by schnautza; 10-12-2018, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Are you with Lindenwood? Welcome to our dumpster fire of a forum. It's quite entertaining here.
                        Being that most of our big-name programs (BU, USI, DU) doesn't have football programs, most of us hang out exclusively in the basketball forum. That seems to be the GLVC's strongest sport.
                        I am. I'm a former football player, so it's what's I follow closest. I do follow basketball but don't know much about it.
                        Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post
                          I am. I'm a former football player, so it's what's I follow closest. I do follow basketball but don't know much about it.
                          I'm not so sport-savvy as most around here, but I do like the stats and analyzing them. That's my role in these parts.

As for basketball in the GLVC, here's the rundown. Note that I'm going to refer to East and West divisions out of habit, but I don't think they actually exist any more with the recent additions/subtractions to the conference:

In the East division, Bellarmine is the perennial powerhouse. Coach Scotty D's sideline antics are a pretty good show, though frustrating at times.
                          In the West division, Drury has risen to the top. There is some criticism that the West is weaker than the east, causing Drury to be ranked higher, but Drury can easily hold their own against any team in the East.
                          Both teams have won some recent national championships. Both are extremely difficult to beat on their home courts.

In the East, UIndy, Lewis, and Southern Indiana are (usually) very good teams. Last season, UIndy and Lewis both seemed to stumble uncharacteristically a few times. I suspect they will be strong again this season, but I'm not an X's and O's guy. Southern Indiana has been stuck in a bit of a rut for several years, melting down at the end of each season. Most USI fans around here are pretty angry and are calling for a new coach. Illinois-Springfield is the weak link in the east, and McKendree will be a dark horse this year with a new coach that just transferred from a very successful Truman.

In the West, Truman State has been the next most successful, having had many good games against Drury, but their coach just switched to McKendree. Not sure what to expect from them this year. William Jewell had an unusually good season last year and I suspect they'll be building from that. UMSL and Maryville tend to be the next best, but are middle-of-the-pack in terms of the whole GLVC. Quincy, S&T, and Rockhurst have all been pretty bad for a while.

Comment

I listened to the GLVC commissioner on the radio the other day (well, it was an online archive of a recent radio interview). The commissioner mentioned the lack of D2s in IL and IN and then speculated that there may be current D1s in those states that drop to D2 in the future. Any idea who he might be referring to, or who might be in that situation?

I always thought that growth in those states might eventually come from the NAIA, but hadn't really considered the D1 possibilities.

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X