Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see the committee move USI to 5 to prevent any GLVC matchups in the 1st round. And I think most would be ok with that.

Comment

Wow. Bellarmine in, Grand Valley State out. Did not see that coming at all.

Comment

Screenshot_20200308-213933_Chrome.jpg My heart sort of stopped for a second when they announced BU. I knew it had to come down to USI or GVSU to get screwed there. I kind of wonder how they picked this one. Screenshot_20200308-213933_Chrome.jpg
        Attached Files

Comment

If I was a gvsu fan, I'd be calling foul on this one. Ranked 4 and lost in 2nd round conference to another ranked team.

Comment

Holy cow - Grand Valley got hosed!

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
              I think BU is probably out, and we have no legit complaints if we are out. I am pulling for UMSL just in case, but if USI wins, no way BU is in over USI. I watched the Mich Tech v GVSU game. GV did not look good at all. Ignoring stats and records and just using the eye ball test, BU and USI should be ahead of GV, IMO. But don't think that will happen.
              I sort of called it. Surprised the committee put so much stock in my analysis.

Comment

I know this is men's basketball oriented but what do you all think about KWC women ranked #21 in coaches poll not getting bid? Yes their SOS sucked but they beat UMSL which Lewis couldn't do in two tries while USI split (In fairness KWC played UMSL at home). KWC beat Rockhurst, UIS, and MO S&T as bad or worse than GLVC teams that made NCAA. Very puzzled by the regional committee. Yes KWC lost to Tiffin on road in 2 OT, but Lewis lost to MI Tech who had as bad a record.

Comment

Originally posted by WKYDave View Post
                  I know this is men's basketball oriented but what do you all think about KWC women ranked #21 in coaches poll not getting bid? Yes their SOS sucked but they beat UMSL which Lewis couldn't do in two tries while USI split (In fairness KWC played UMSL at home). KWC beat Rockhurst, UIS, and MO S&T as bad or worse than GLVC teams that made NCAA. Very puzzled by the regional committee. Yes KWC lost to Tiffin on road in 2 OT, but Lewis lost to MI Tech who had as bad a record.
                  My opinion? Disgusted but not surprised. They might as well tell the G-MAC to disband because they really have no room, time or respect for the league. Yes, KWC got screwed. The Men's side may as well just count the GLVC Tourney as the regional and be honest about it.. Yes, GV got screwed and I don't even particularly like them.

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post

I sort of called it. Surprised the committee put so much stock in my analysis.

Comment

• Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post

My opinion? Disgusted but not surprised. They might as well tell the G-MAC to disband because they really have no room, time or respect for the league. Yes, KWC got screwed. The Men's side may as well just count the GLVC Tourney as the regional and be honest about it.. Yes, GV got screwed and I don't even particularly like them.

Comment

• You are right,of course, about the eyeball test. I do not know if the committee uses any subjective eyeball type criteria. They would obviously have to look at more than one game from each team. I think the perception that GVSU got screwed is based on the previous weekly ratings. I do wonder why those ratings are released if they are not going to follow them in the end. Based on the last weekly ratings, there would not be any rational for jumping BU or USI ahead of GVSU. Having said that, GVSU had one less loss than BU. There is clearly a consensus on the committee that the GLVC was the tougher league this year (which it clearly was). If the final picks had been announced without any prior rankings, GVSU would have had a good argument but objectively speaking, did not get screwed.

Comment

• Still think the Committee had made up its mind as far as the makeup of the teams to make the regional going into the conference tourneys. 5 GLVC, 2 GLIAC and 1 GMAC. Indy was going to be #1. Only thing the conference tourneys did was decide which GLIAC and GMAC teams would make it. Not sure they even had much effect on which seed they got hence BU was ahead of USI(although Truman pushed passed UMSL due to their win.)

Comment

• You mean the UMSL team that KWC beat by 22 at home that Lewis lost to TWICE and USI once?

Yes, KWC was 0-2 vs Tourny teams but Lewis was only 2-5 - not stellar. Does strength of schedule matter if you lose against them...if yes, why? Why does USI and Lewis getting beat by Ashland by around 40 points have any bearing on how good KWC is since they didn't play Ashland? If you claim it would show a common opponent comparison you have that anyway with KWC as good or better in common opponents with Ferris, USI, and Lewis.

Was the 2 OT on the road loss to Tiffin bad - Yes. Was the Lewis 10 point home loss to 11-17 MI Tech worse? Probably. KWC swept their "middle of the road" GMAC foes - Malone, ODU, Findlay (5-0). Lewis lost to their "MOR" GLVC foes - Maryville and Indy (1-2 overall).

I can find only 1 computer ranking for D2 women's basketball. Here is the list of the Midwest Region Teams in Top 100:
                            Rank Team Record SoS Rank Power Score
                            1 Drury University 26-0 58 100
                            2 Ashland University 27-0 56 99.146
                            3 Grand Valley State University 26-2 76 94.507
                            4 Walsh University 28-2 159 90.558
                            24 Kentucky Wesleyan College 27-4 276 84.887
                            52 Lindenwood University 16-10 14 80.568
                            61 Bellarmine University 17-10 79 79.967
                            63 Ferris State University 18-8 50 79.572
                            64 Truman State University 19-8 90 79.499
                            66 University of Southern Indiana 16-8 11 79.34
                            77 Cedarville University 18-8 155 78.179
                            93 Lewis University 16-11 19 75.84
                            SOS is important, but not if you don't win the games and not if you still lose to "bad" teams and "mediocre" teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by WKYDave View Post

You mean the UMSL team that KWC beat by 22 at home that Lewis lost to TWICE and USI once?

Yes, KWC was 0-2 vs Tourny teams but Lewis was only 2-5 - not stellar. Does strength of schedule matter if you lose against them...if yes, why? Why does USI and Lewis getting beat by Ashland by around 40 points have any bearing on how good KWC is since they didn't play Ashland? If you claim it would show a common opponent comparison you have that anyway with KWC as good or better in common opponents with Ferris, USI, and Lewis.

Was the 2 OT on the road loss to Tiffin bad - Yes. Was the Lewis 10 point home loss to 11-17 MI Tech worse? Probably. KWC swept their "middle of the road" GMAC foes - Malone, ODU, Findlay (5-0). Lewis lost to their "MOR" GLVC foes - Maryville and Indy (1-2 overall).

I can find only 1 computer ranking for D2 women's basketball. Here is the list of the Midwest Region Teams in Top 100:
                              Rank Team Record SoS Rank Power Score
                              1 Drury University 26-0 58 100
                              2 Ashland University 27-0 56 99.146
                              3 Grand Valley State University 26-2 76 94.507
                              4 Walsh University 28-2 159 90.558
                              24 Kentucky Wesleyan College 27-4 276 84.887
                              52 Lindenwood University 16-10 14 80.568
                              61 Bellarmine University 17-10 79 79.967
                              63 Ferris State University 18-8 50 79.572
                              64 Truman State University 19-8 90 79.499
                              66 University of Southern Indiana 16-8 11 79.34
                              77 Cedarville University 18-8 155 78.179
                              93 Lewis University 16-11 19 75.84
                              SOS is important, but not if you don't win the games and not if you still lose to "bad" teams and "mediocre" teams.
                              SoS counts whether you win or lose...not sure what the question is there. Comparative scores aren't considered by anyone, and for good reason.

The answer to why KWC didn't get in is right in the numbers you posted. They played the 276th best schedule in the country. 276 isn't just bad, it's freaking horrible. That's 276 out of 311. All of the GLVC teams that got in ahead of them had SOS in the top 20 in the country. Does that mean that KWC isn't as good as USI or Lindenwood? No, but it does mean they didn't play anyone to prove it. They knew their league was going to be weak - go play some more difficult non-con games. Had they played a top 20 schedule, they very well may have lost 5 or 6 more times.

What is KWC's best win all year? It's gotta be UMSL or Cedarville, right? Where do those teams rank in the system you're looking at?

Comment

• The basic answer to all of this is the selection committee does what it wants to when picking and ranking teams in regions. They can tell you all day they look for certain things, but at the end of the day they do what they want.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X