Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Midwest Introduces Basketball Point Rating System

https://greatmidwestsports.com/news/...ZvfUH7WxpFHO5k

I saw this on the standings page the other day. On the one hand, I kind of like that they are doing something to address schedule strength disparity since not every team plays every other team twice. On the other...I hate the thought of a theoretical 14-4 league record landing you behind a 12-6 record due to the teams played...

So I'm on the fence. I personally think I would rather see a divisional format (North/South or East/West) where you play everyone in your division twice and the other division once and then seed the tournament with the top x # of teams from each division plus the next y # of best records. But then again, you probably need more than 12 teams to do that since that would only end up giving you 16 conference games. I guess the main thing is that they're trying SOMETHING to address the issue, so that's a positive.
    Last edited by kdubnation; 01-02-2020, 03:58 PM.

Comment

With 12 men's basketball teams, there's nothing preventing the GMAC from doing a 22-game double round robin. Plenty of D2 conferences play 22-game schedules.

As for the point system, I don't think it's an improvement on just using conference record.

Incidentally, the GLVC has been using this system for the last couple years. I think the now-defunct WVIAC did something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
        With 12 men's basketball teams, there's nothing preventing the GMAC from doing a 22-game double round robin. Plenty of D2 conferences play 22-game schedules.

As for the point system, I don't think it's an improvement on just using conference record.

Incidentally, the GLVC has been using this system for the last couple years. I think the now-defunct WVIAC did something similar.
        The GLVC has indeed been using this the pat two years - this is year three per their release this week. I think there's only been one time where the bracket didn't end up matching the standings 1-8 for the postseason anyway. I always thought it was a nice piece to add in (almost mixing in some weird combination of SOS and RPI just on a layman's level), but it takes about half the conference season for it to "settle in" it seems, because teams fly around all over the place early on.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
        Working...
        X