Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are several avenues available to search for the next coach, current D2 HC (Stan G), current junior college HC (Smithpeters, Franklin), or D1 assistant coaches (Stephen Pearl?). We've been successful the last two times we went the D1 assistant route (Bruce was a long-time assistant at Iowa, and Rodney at So Illinois). Herdes was an internal hire. As the rumor mill heats up over the next few weeks, keep everyone posted of the names that are floating around.

Comment

So even after the man has left the program you can't give him any credit? When I say legitimate final four, I mean the one under Herdes had to be vacated. Alex Stein proved to be a great get. From what I've read USI was his only offer and he blossomed under Watson. So however he came our way it turned into a great story and career. A lot of us feel like USI is the Duke, Kansas, Kentucky/Kentucky Wesleyan of Division 2. We had 2 great years under Pearl and overall success just not consistent NCAA success under coach Watson. Moving forward for all the reasons I mentioned before, USI is a great place for a hungry coach (insert Pearl type) to come. No one should be satisfied with the last 11 years but you can't discount them either. I would say 90% of the D2 schools would be happy with the success of coach Watson's tenure.

Comment

Originally posted by WalkerEaglefan83 View Post

So even after the man has left the program you can't give him any credit? When I say legitimate final four, I mean the one under Herdes had to be vacated. Alex Stein proved to be a great get. From what I've read USI was his only offer and he blossomed under Watson. So however he came our way it turned into a great story and career. A lot of us feel like USI is the Duke, Kansas, Kentucky/Kentucky Wesleyan of Division 2. We had 2 great years under Pearl and overall success just not consistent NCAA success under coach Watson. Moving forward for all the reasons I mentioned before, USI is a great place for a hungry coach (insert Pearl type) to come. No one should be satisfied with the last 11 years but you can't discount them either. I would say 90% of the D2 schools would be happy with the success of coach Watson's tenure.
        The 2004 National Runner up under Herdes was not vacated.
        Stein had other options but when you declare in jr high and your pops is an alum and coaches there, most d2 low D1 not going to waste resources to try an persuade.
        WoD had The luxury of being handed the keys to a Mercedes in a league and division that kept diminishing as established and funded programs moved on. WoD best teams happened to be after he finally moved to the area.
        Northern moved on and made postseason every year eligible and we got d2 mediocrity with WoD and Jon Marie

Comment

Originally posted by WalkerEaglefan83 View Post

Comment

Heard the name of Michael Lewis as a possibility for the USI job. Jasper HS and IU alum and played point guard on Bobby Knight's last team at IU. Current assistant at UCLA, and Nebraska and Butler before that.

Comment

He probably is at 300k a year as an assistant

Comment

I am doubting Gouard will come...I believe you would have to pay him well beyond what he is making to make up for his wife salary too, I heard she has a pretty good job. Unless USI says to him we are going to Horizon or OVC in 2-3 years.

Comment

Gotta wonder about two of the Bellarmine assistants. Both have D1 assistant coaching experience (Braden at Morehead State and Tennessee; Davenport at Eastern Kentucky, Xavier, and Louisville). Can't imagine both are aiming to stay indefinitely as assistants, and a jump to head coach of a GLVC school would make sense as both know the landscape. Have heard from credible, of the record, sources that both have at least put out feelers to USI on how viable of candidates they would be.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsTape View Post
                    Gotta wonder about two of the Bellarmine assistants. Both have D1 assistant coaching experience (Braden at Morehead State and Tennessee; Davenport at Eastern Kentucky, Xavier, and Louisville). Can't imagine both are aiming to stay indefinitely as assistants, and a jump to head coach of a GLVC school would make sense as both know the landscape. Have heard from credible, of the record, sources that both have at least put out feelers to USI on how viable of candidates they would be.
                    Interesting. Yeah, given the D-I move, I don't think Doug Davenport (whom I like and seems to be a good dude) is still "coach-in-waiting" at Bellarmine.

Comment

Comment

If Lil Brent gets the job I will never, ever spend another dollar on anything affiliated with USI basketball, that would be the biggest joke in NCAA history!

Comment

I would think that USI can do better than elevating either of the two current assistants.

Comment

If its one of the assistants that means NO ONE wanted the job.

Comment

Smithpeters or this guy I would look at http://www.iwuwildcats.com/roster/55/6/8311.php

Comment

Originally posted by EagleWhip View Post
                                I would think that USI can do better than elevating either of the two current assistants.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X