Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLVC Men’s Basketball

We are roughly 3 weeks from GLVC basketball! I’m curious to how your teams will be. Lot of changes this year in the GLVC with new coaches at UIndy and Southern Indiana. Along with Bellarmine making the jump to D1. What are your predictions for the league?

any surprise teams this year? I’m curious to see if the teams in the bottom of the league last year have improved!

I'm personally very excited to see what Stan does at USI. Lots of talent he inherited here and he's added his own. Time to see if Superman lives up to the hype!

Comment

Stan will be fine! USI is a great situation. Stan is a good ball coach! Any word if they will be making a jump to D1 in the near future?

It’s been too quiet! Any word of preseason scrimmages in the GLVC?? 3 weeks from today we tip off!

Comment

Excited to see everyone continue to sleep on Truman. Conference champions a year ago. Arguably should have hosted the regional. They bring back four of five starters, added a couple of transfers, and I think they have one of the best coaches in the league.

Here's a preview article from the Kirksville Daily Express -- https://www.kirksvilledailyexpress.c...at/6147038002/

“This is the most talented group of guys I’ve been with since I’ve been here,” junior forward Cade McKnight said. “From the first year I was here to now, it’s night and day in talent difference. The program continues to grow with coach Horner and he just keeps getting better and better guys as time goes on. Winning helps that.”

Comment

USI does not have an administration that is capable of handling the move to DI. JMH is just a yes man and Robama is all talk and no action.

Originally posted by GLVCfan View Post
          Stan will be fine! USI is a great situation. Stan is a good ball coach! Any word if they will be making a jump to D1 in the near future?

It’s been too quiet! Any word of preseason scrimmages in the GLVC?? 3 weeks from today we tip off!

Comment

Originally posted by SonOfMafia View Post
            USI does not have an administration that is capable of handling the move to DI. JMH is just a yes man and Robama is all talk and no action.

Just out of curiosity, which administration was in place when USI got the new building and the new coach?

Comment

Oops

Comment

Originally posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post
                Excited to see everyone continue to sleep on Truman. Conference champions a year ago. Arguably should have hosted the regional. They bring back four of five starters, added a couple of transfers, and I think they have one of the best coaches in the league.

Here's a preview article from the Kirksville Daily Express -- https://www.kirksvilledailyexpress.c...at/6147038002/
                After last seasons "Surprises", I don't think anyone can overlook Truman, Rockhurst, UMSL, Illinois Springfield, SBU, Mckendree and William Jewell.
                We heard proclamations from a few that these schools would bring down the level of play in the GLVC when in fact, these schools all had quality wins last year and each had a hand in Bellarmine leaving for D1 with 7 conference losses.

Comment

William Jewell could surprise some folks. They have a lot of firepower back. Wiley is a heckuva player

Any word on scrimmages around the league? 15 more days until the GLVC starts!

Comment

Originally posted by crazznewt View Post

Just out of curiosity, which administration was in place when USI got the new building and the new coach?
                    Thanks to state funding appropriations the new arena was built, how funding was spent decided by board of trustees thank them. Only got a new coach because watson finally retired. What coach wouldn’t want to come to new state of the art best d2 arena? Administration didn’t have much to do with either. Remember when admins said they would sell naming rights?

Comment

Originally posted by glvcpro View Post

Thanks to state funding appropriations the new arena was built, how funding was spent decided by board of trustees thank them. Only got a new coach because watson finally retired. What coach wouldn’t want to come to new state of the art best d2 arena? Administration didn’t have much to do with either. Remember when admins said they would sell naming rights?
                      I looked at a couple of old interviews with the people you mentioned and they didn't seem interested in a move to D1 and this was before the coronavirus. Maybe they are waiting for a couple more successful seasons in men's basketball before committing to a move.
                      Grand Valley State should have made the move to D1 by now considering the success they have had in athletics and their enrollment numbers. I guess it is fun beating up on schools that are a fifth of their size at best.

Comment

I'm wondering if we'll see preseason polls this week, with the regular season planning to start next week. A reminder of the standings format and scheduling this year:

The 2020-21 men’s and women’s basketball schedules will be a 22-game Conference-only closed schedule for the league’s 15 teams that will be divided into three five-team divisions. The East Division will consist of Illinois Springfield, Indianapolis, Lewis, McKendree and Southern Indiana; the Central Division will feature Lindenwood, Maryville, Missouri-St. Louis, Quincy and Truman State; and the West Division will be home to Drury, Missouri S&T, Rockhurst, Southwest Baptist and William Jewell.
                        I actually like the balance of the three divisions this year. The central might be the "weakest," but it arguably has two of the top 3 or 4 teams in the league with UMSL and TSU. The east has probably the most depth and the most teams that could finish between 5th-10th in the standings - - maybe not the most firepower but all five teams could win any night against anybody. The west has a prohibitive favorite in DU, but there are a couple of upstarts that will compete and then a couple of complete wild cards.

Comment

1 New poll:
                          Northwest Missouri State (16)
                          31-1 400 1
                          2 Lincoln Memorial 32-1 367 2
                          3 West Texas A&M 32-1 366 3
                          4 Indiana (Pa.) 28-2 318 6
                          5 Florida Southern 29-2 309 5
                          6 Nova Southeastern 23-6 295 20
                          7 West Liberty 27-4 282 7
                          8 Northern State (S.D.) 26-6 255 17
                          9 Missouri-St. Louis 27-6 240 19
                          10 Queens (N.C.) 24-7 223 23
                          11 Azusa Pacific 25-4 195 8
                          12 St. Thomas Aquinas 25-5 190 11
                          13 Colorado School of Mines 22-10 177 NR
                          14 Alabama Huntsville 26-5 165 12
                          15 Ferris State 27-6 152 16
                          16 Point Loma 24-6 137 24
                          17 Augustana (S.D.) 19-11 127 NR
                          18 St. Edwards (Texas) 27-4 264 9
                          19 Valdosta State 26-4 245 10
                          20 Fairmont State 23-7 91 NR
                          21 Missouri Southern 23-8 84 21
                          22 Charleston (W.Va.) 25-6 80 NR
                          23 Sioux Falls 22-8 78 NR
                          24 Bridgeport 24-4 50 13
                          25 Southern Indiana

Comment

Originally posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post
                            I'm wondering if we'll see preseason polls this week, with the regular season planning to start next week. A reminder of the standings format and scheduling this year:

I actually like the balance of the three divisions this year. The central might be the "weakest," but it arguably has two of the top 3 or 4 teams in the league with UMSL and TSU. The east has probably the most depth and the most teams that could finish between 5th-10th in the standings - - maybe not the most firepower but all five teams could win any night against anybody. The west has a prohibitive favorite in DU, but there are a couple of upstarts that will compete and then a couple of complete wild cards.
                            This season's successful teams will have to be able to keep their focus through all the chaos and will probably have less coronavirus related absences and disruptions than others. This may open the door for teams like MO S&T! Who knows?

Comment

Ask, and ye shall receive.
                              EAST CENTRAL WEST
                              Rank/School Points (1st) Rank/School Points (1st) Rank/School Points (1st)
                              1. Southern Indiana 70 (14) 1. Missouri-St. Louis 67 (12) 1. Drury 67 (11)
                              2. Indianapolis 40 2. Truman State 56 (2) 2. Rockhurst 55 (3)
                              3. Illinois Springfield 38 3. Lindenwood 44 (1) 3. Southwest Baptist 47 (1)
                              4. McKendree 37 (1) 4. Maryville 33 4. William Jewell 30
                              5. Lewis 35 5. Quincy 20 5. Missouri S&T 21
                              A few takeaways I can see at first glance:
                              1. The league's coaches didn't know what to do with East 2-5. Interesting that USI's first-place vote went to McKendree (no love from Gouard for his former school).
                              2. Coaches all on board with UMSL in the Central, which makes sense. That division has a very clear pecking order in the preseason.
                              3. Honestly more surprised that Drury didn't get a couple more first-place votes (not that there were many to be had). With what they return, I figured they'd be a pretty clear pick, but still some love out there for RU and SBU.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X