Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post

A loss would have been totally acceptable yesterday, at a really good opponent who was hitting its stride.
    A loss would have been totally acceptable yesterday, playing the third road game in five days with two big trap games before it (I think everyone's lost at UIS sometime in the past 2-3 years, and QU/TSU is always a nip and tuck game regardless of records).
    A loss would have been totally acceptable yesterday, with kids wondering when they were going to get back home and whether their apartments would be flooded from busted pipes thanks to -15 degree temps (I lived that Kirksville life way back in the day and lost a handful of belongings to just that).

Instead it was 10 in a row, and both (assuming COVID doesn't rear its ugly head at any point) a practical lock that the GLVC title will have to go through Kirksville and, barring a major disaster, a first-round bye in the NCAA tournament. Doing it with just one senior starter (Scott) as well, so this team will be almost fully back next year even without fully taking in the potential for the blanket redshirt year for everyone.
    The other side of this is that USI played a heck of a game as well - and I'm expecting that this is the week that USI finally breaks the top-25 poll, and this loss will likely force them back out, even though it was a single-possession loss to a national top-5 team. It seems to be USI's luck over the last decade that every time they finally work themselves back into the polls, they face a very tough opponent and immediately drop out for the remainder of the season.

Comment

Truman moves to 5th in the latest poll.

I understand why the pollsters prefer not to move teams that have not lost, but Truman has a way better SOS than everyone else in the Top 10, save for Northwest Missouri.

The Bulldogs have 10 straight wins after losing to a Maryville that shot flukishly well and is probably better than most of the opponents played by the Colorado School of Mines.

Not to mention the road win over now No. 24 Southern Indiana.

By the way, we did get a look at a prospective future of the Truman front court. Mason as the primary ball handler along side Alex Nissen.

Comment

A loss would have been totally acceptable yesterday, with kids wondering when they were going to get back home and whether their apartments would be flooded from busted pipes thanks to -15 degree temps (I lived that Kirksville life way back in the day and lost a handful of belongings to just that).
        Possible 365 days a year if you rented from Mary Novinger, but certainly more likely during the polar vortex.

Comment

UMSL loses a key game against Southern Indiana as that game was cancelled.

If they do not play on Thursday against McKendree, they will have been sidelined for an entire month heading in to the GLVC tournament, assuming that no other team is available.

Comment

That is not an ideal scenario. I'm assuming they are still able to practice at this time though.

Comment

One thing appears certain, college basketball is about to get older. Basically everyone that plays this year gets an extra year of eligibility.

There are some schools that have ruled out granting an extra year because of scholarship and other issues. It's opened the door for the transfer portal to be busier than ever this year.

The coaches that are late recruiters will have opportunities that they didn't have pre-Covid. This will screw up some recruiting philosophies and others will greatly benefit.

Coaches like Scott Davenport who has connections that others may not have may be one in particular who might benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by crazznewt View Post
                One thing appears certain, college basketball is about to get older. Basically everyone that plays this year gets an extra year of eligibility.

There are some schools that have ruled out granting an extra year because of scholarship and other issues. It's opened the door for the transfer portal to be busier than ever this year.

The coaches that are late recruiters will have opportunities that they didn't have pre-Covid. This will screw up some recruiting philosophies and others will greatly benefit.

Coaches like Scott Davenport who has connections that others may not have may be one in particular who might benefit.
                I'll be interested to see, in practice, how many seniors actually take the NCAA up on this offer. At the D2 level, most of these kids have career paths that they have planned to go to graduate school, medical school, or other opportunities, and, since their future livelihood isn't centered around the sport they are playing, I'm guessing that far more than we are probably assuming will just pack it up, save their knees and move on to the next stage of life as they had planned all along.

Besides, with the variable nature of everything right now, if I had the next chapter lined up, I'd take it in a heartbeat. If another strain were to rear its ugly head and you decided to come back for a season that maybe doesn't happen? I'm not saying that would be the case, but we also didn't think that we'd be where we still are with this thing 12 months later either.

Comment

With one week to play, I started crunching some numbers for potential GLVC seedings. There are 14 games remaining, which means 16,384 possible combinations of outcomes. Obviously, I have not run every single scenario, but I've given it my best shot and have determined that a LOT can still happen over this short span with the GLVC Points Rating System. Several teams will be playing to survive right now.

1. Truman is a lock
                  2-4 can be any combination of USI, UMSL, or SBU. USI has no games remaining before tournament starts due to quarantine.

Teams 1-4 get to host the first game, so our host sites are locked in now.

McKendree, Lindenwood, Lewis, Drury, Rockhurst all have a possible range of 5-11, and Indy can clock in from 5-12.
                  Maryville can land anywhere from 7 to 13.

So if you are doing the math with me here, 7 teams are currently fighting for seeds 5-8: McKendree, Lindenwood, Lewis, Drury, Rockhurst, Indy, and Maryville.

Teams that are definitively out of the running for a tournament bid:
                  UIS (10 to 14)
                  Quincy (11 to 14)
                  S&T (12 to 15)
                  Jewell (13 to 15)
                  Last edited by schnautza; 02-24-2021, 10:17 AM.

Comment

I'll be interested to see, in practice, how many seniors actually take the NCAA up on this offer. At the D2 level, most of these kids have career paths that they have planned to go to graduate school, medical school, or other opportunities, and, since their future livelihood isn't centered around the sport they are playing, I'm guessing that far more than we are probably assuming will just pack it up, save their knees and move on to the next stage of life as they had planned all along.

Besides, with the variable nature of everything right now, if I had the next chapter lined up, I'd take it in a heartbeat. If another strain were to rear its ugly head and you decided to come back for a season that maybe doesn't happen? I'm not saying that would be the case, but we also didn't think that we'd be where we still are with this thing 12 months later either.
                    Those are good points, but just from watching the GLVCSN and etc, I have learned of 5 seniors from three different teams for sure coming back for next year and talk of others doing the same after the schools figure out the scholarship scenario. Yes, it would suck losing another season to a virus, but to pursue your masters for free would be priceless.

With that point in mind, I think we will see several D2 teams with D1 transfers next season.

Comment

Running hypothetical matchups based on Massey's predictions gives a final standing of:
                      1. Truman
                      2. USI
                      3. UMSL
                      4. SBU
                      5. McKendree
                      6. Lewis
                      7. Drury
                      8. UIndy

And that's about the scariest 2-7 matchup I can think of for USI, especially coming off of a 2-week quarantine. Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by schnautza View Post
                        Running hypothetical matchups based on Massey's predictions gives a final standing of:
                        1. Truman
                        2. USI
                        3. UMSL
                        4. SBU
                        5. McKendree
                        6. Lewis
                        7. Drury
                        8. UIndy

And that's about the scariest 2-7 matchup I can think of for USI, especially coming off of a 2-week quarantine. Yikes.
                        Drury is coming off the same. It really is a shame as they were obviously making improvement every game including losing in the last 3 seconds at USI.

Comment

Drury is coming off the same. It really is a shame as they were obviously making improvement every game including losing in the last 3 seconds at USI.
                          Shoot, I didn't realize you guys canceled too. I guess it levels the playing field a bit. But still sucks for both teams.

Comment

Knowing that Drury's games are canceled...that actually affects outcomes considerably.
                            Reran the numbers...Using these predictions:
                            • Indy over Maryville
                            • Lewis over S&T
                            • McKendree over UMSL
                            • Truman over Rockhurst
                            • SBU over Quincy
                            • Lewis over Maryville
                            • Indy over Lindenwood
                            • Rockhurst over Jewell
                            • Truman over SBU
                            • Springfield over S&T
                            This gives the following:
                            1. Truman
                            2. USI
                            3. UMSL
                            4. SBU
                            5. McKendree
                            6. Lewis
                            7. UIndy
                            8. Lindenwood

Alternate scenario, switching the UMSL/McKendree result only, as Massey had that one as a 51% win for McK (all other predictions unchanged):
                            1. Truman
                            2. UMSL
                            3. USI
                            4. SBU
                            5. Lewis
                            6. UIndy
                            T7. Drury (tiebreaker with head-to-head sweep)
                            T7. McKendree

Comment

Can anyone tell me who will host the women's conference tournament if both Truman and Drury win out?

Comment

Can anyone tell me who will host the women's conference tournament if both Truman and Drury win out?
                                Working on that now. Manual data input for the women. Can you tell me if any teams are quarantined this week?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X