Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regional Rankings

The NCAA came out with the first set of regional rankings this year, and it looks a bit different than the past.

Per the NCAA:
    So for the men-
    Midwest (Under Consideration) Ashland 8-6 8-6
    Grand Valley State 7-5 7-5
    Missouri-St. Louis 12-4 12-4
    Southern Indiana 11-3 11-3
    Southwest Baptist 12-5 12-5
    Truman 14-1 14-1
    Wayne State (Michigan) 8-4 8-4
    Wisconsin-Parkside 8-5 8-5
    So this obviously was from the end of games on Sunday, as TSU's win at USI is not included based on the records. If I had to seed them at this moment, I think it would probably look like-
    1. Truman
    2. Missouri-St. Louis
    3. Southern Indiana (these two could be flipped. this is a big deal though because of the first round bye)
    4. Wayne State
    5. Parkside (these two could be flipped, doesn't really matter since 4 vs 5 is the first round matchup anyway)
    6. Southwest Baptist
    ---
    7. Ashland
    8. Grand Valley

And, the women's for good measure-
    Midwest (Under Consideration)
    Drury 13-1 13-1
    Grand Valley State 12-1 12-1
    Lewis 10-7 10-7
    Michigan Tech 12-1 12-1
    Missouri-St. Louis 10-7 10-7
    Northwood 9-4 9-4
    Southern Indiana 11-5 11-5
    Truman 12-3 12-3
    Last edited by TSU_Mike59; 02-18-2021, 10:08 AM.

Will there still be 8 teams in a regional?

Comment

Originally posted by crazznewt View Post
      Will there still be 8 teams in a regional?
      No, just six for each gender. It's a 48 team, 8 region tournament this year.

Comment

I did a Google search for women's regional host sites and saw Drury's Oreilly Center was picked as the Midwest Region host site. Funny, there is nothing on the Drury site about this. Maybe they are waiting word on whether tickets will be sold.

Comment

Catching up on our regionally ranked teams, since there should be a new release today (I think?)

Ashland 9-8: 3 games played, Lost to Wayne State (11-4), Split against Northwood (6-10)
          GVSU 9-6: 3 games played, beat Davenport (5-11), split against Michigan Tech (10-6)
          UMSL 12-4: 0 games played
          USI 11-4: 1 game played, loss to Truman State (16-1)
          SBU 14-5: 2 games played, beat Lewis (9-9) and UIS (7-12)
          Truman 16-1: 2 games played, beat USI (11-4) and William Jewell (4-16)
          Wayne State 11-4: 3 games played, beat Ashland (9-8) and swept Saginaw Valley (3-11)
          UWP 9-7: 3 games played, lost to Purdue Northwest (8-8), split against LSSU (8-8)

My gut says that Ashland is out, and Michigan Tech (10-6) is in for this week's top-8.

In all reality, it feels like 5 teams are a "lock" at this point in the 6-team field: Truman, Wayne State, USI, UMSL, SBU.
          There's a big gap to the next cluster of teams, but that may end up not even relevant if somebody can upset one of these teams for a conference championship.

Comment

Today's "rankings" are out. Just as I suspected, swap out Ashland for MTU.
            Midwest (Under consideration)
            Grand Valley State 9-6 9-6
            Michigan Tech 10-6 10-6
            Missouri-St. Louis 12-4 12-4
            Southern Indiana 11-4 11-4
            Southwest Baptist 14-5 14-5
            Truman 16-1 16-1
            Wayne State (Mich.) 11-4 11-4
            Wisconsin-Parkside 9-7 9-7

Comment

My feel for the new top 6 would be:
              1. Truman

These next three could go in any order and I don't think I'd throw a fit about it:
              2. UMSL
              3. USI
              4. Wayne State

5. Southwest Baptist
              6. Parkside
              -----
              7. Grand Valley
              8. Michigan Tech

Comment

Recap of the "ranked teams" last week:

GVSU 11-6 beat Northwood twice (very weak wins)
                MTU 12-6 beat UWP twice (relatively strong wins)
                UMSL 12-5 lost to McKendree (loss to a relatively strong team)
                USI 11-4 was inactive (again)
                SBU 15-6 beat Quincy and lost to Truman (weak win paired with loss to the strongest team)
                TSU 18-1 beat Rockhurst and SBU (middle-of-the-pack win and very strong win)
                WSU 12-5 split with Ferris State (a deceptively strong team with a record that doesn't show it)
                UWP 9-9 lost to MTU twice (two losses to a strong team)

My gut feel is that UWP has to drop out of the top 8. But who do they get replaced with? I'm leaning toward either Ashland or McKendree. Probably a slight advantage to Ashland with one more win and a marginally stronger SOS. I know Ferris is still ranked higher than both in the PI metrics, but they have an overall losing record, so I can't bring myself to having them in the top 8.

Upcoming games - we enter into both conference tournaments now, and GLIAC will have a 7-10 seed play-in game tomorrow. Here are the games leading into the championship rounds.

GVSU: either UWP or the winner of Northwood/LSSU, then the winner of MTU/PNW
                MTU: Purdue Northwest, then the winner of GVSU/[UWP/Northwood/LSSU]
                UMSL: Lindenwood, then the winner of SBU/Drury
                USI: none (COVID protocol)
                SBU: Drury, then the winner of UMSL/Lindenwood
                TSU: Indianapolis, then the winner of McKendree/Lewis
                WSU: either SVSU or the winner of Northwood/LSSU, then the winner of Ferris/Ashland
                UWP: SVSU, then GVSU, then the winner of MTU/PNW
                McKendree: Lewis, then the winner of Truman/Indianapolis
                Ashland: Ferris, then the winner of Wayne State/[SVSU/LSSU/Northwood]

Note: USI (11-4), Davenport (5-11) and Northern Michigan (8-8) are all sitting out of their tournaments while under COVID protocol.

Comment

I believe the regional committee is supposed to actually RANK the teams in order this week, so I'll take a swing at it today.

My best prediction is:

1. Truman 18-1
                  2. USI 11-4
                  3. UMSL 12-5
                  4. Wayne State 12-5
                  5. Southwest Baptist 15-6
                  6. Michigan Tech 12-6
                  _______

7. Grand Valley 11-6
                  8. Ashland 11-8

This raises interesting questions with auto-bids factored in.
                  If GLVC gets a spoiler (McKendree, Lewis, Drury, UIndy), can they claim 5 of 6 spots?
                  If GLIAC gets a spoiler (Ferris, Parkside, PNW, LSSU, Northwood, SVSU), is a GLVC team is on the chopping block, or does a GLIAC team get booted?
                  If both get a spoiler? ...oh boy. That's messy.

Comment

Saginaw Valley eliminated Parkside last night. That gives a few teams a little breathing room.
                    Northwood forfeits due to COVID, advancing LSSU.

GLIAC tourney seeding is now:

#8 SVSU vs #1 Wayne State
                    #5 Ashland vs #4 Ferris State
                    #7 LSSU vs #2 GVSU
                    #3 Michigan Tech at #6 Purdue Northwest

Comment

Rankings are out!
                      https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basket...gional-ranking
                      MIDWEST
                      1 Truman 18-1 18-1
                      2 Wayne State (Michigan) 12-5 12-5
                      3 Southern Indiana 11-4 11-4
                      4 Missouri-St. Louis 12-5 12-5
                      5 Michigan Tech 12-6 12-6
                      6 Grand Valley State 11-6 11-6
                      7 Southwest Baptist 15-6 15-6
                      8 Ashland 11-8 11-8

Comment

I'm not sure a first round GLVC tournament loss knocks Truman out of the 1-seed, let alone from a bye, so I feel like one of the two byes is still pretty safe.

Absolutely brutal for SBU losing to Drury last night. That ends their season based on these rankings.

I actually think USI is still in pretty good stead. For two of the three teams in the 4-6 spots to pass them, they would probably both have to win their conference tournaments (UMSL and MTU, for example), which would knock USI down to sixth at worst. I guess there's an outside chance that if UMSL got to the championship but lost, and if MTU/GV won the GLIAC, then maybe UMSL still passes USI and an auto bid from Indy or Lewis would knock them out.

Comment

Originally posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post
                          I'm not sure a first round GLVC tournament loss knocks Truman out of the 1-seed, let alone from a bye, so I feel like one of the two byes is still pretty safe.

Absolutely brutal for SBU losing to Drury last night. That ends their season based on these rankings.

I actually think USI is still in pretty good stead. For two of the three teams in the 4-6 spots to pass them, they would probably both have to win their conference tournaments (UMSL and MTU, for example), which would knock USI down to sixth at worst. I guess there's an outside chance that if UMSL got to the championship but lost, and if MTU/GV won the GLIAC, then maybe UMSL still passes USI and an auto bid from Indy or Lewis would knock them out.
                          That SBU loss to Drury was brutal in more than one way. Yes, they lost a chance to play themselves into the regional tournament. Perhaps just as important is the fact they lost local bragging rights to a team that has historically dominated them. This would have made it 3 wins this season against a team they have some recruiting wars with being just 30 miles apart.

Again, kudos to Hesser and company who missed a month at the beginning of the season and over two weeks at the end due to Covid. Still ended up with a few good victories. It appears it would have been a special season.
                          Last edited by crazznewt; 03-04-2021, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Heads up - Wayne state trails SVSU by 8 with 2:03 to go...

edit...now trailing by 3 with 0:45
                            Last edited by schnautza; 03-04-2021, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Ranked teams tracker:

1 Truman 18-2 - lost to UIndy (11-12)
                              2 Wayne State (Michigan) 12-6 - lost to SVSU (5-12)
                              3 Southern Indiana 11-4 - No games due to COVID
                              4 Missouri-St. Louis 13-5 - beat Lindenwood (10-10), lost to Drury (11-9)
                              5 Michigan Tech 14-6 - beat at Purdue Northwest (8-9), beat GVSU (12-7), faces Ashland (13-8) at 2:30 EST on Sunday
                              6 Grand Valley State 12-7 - beat LSSU (8-11), lost to Michigan Tech (14-6)
                              7 Southwest Baptist 15-6 - lost to Drury (11-9)
                              8 Ashland 13-8 - beat Ferris State (8-11), beat SVSU (5-12), faces Michigan Tech (14-6) at 2:30 EST on Sunday

The battle for the GLVC auto bid is now:
                              Lewis (13-9) and Drury (11-9) play for the championship Sunday at 1:00 CST
                              Last edited by schnautza; 03-06-2021, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X