Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New GLVC Member - Lindenwood

Hello all, I decided I would make a new thread for one of the new teams to the conference and give my insight for all things Lindenwood Basketball. The program is in a bit of chaotic state at the moment with only 5 returners from last years roster, of those 5 only 1 received playing time over 15 minutes per game. I believe there were 8 players committed to joining the program next year (2 high school, 6 transfers), but that was before Coach Lance Randall announced his resignation early in June. While a replacement has not been named, the rumor is that if the position is not handed off to the associate head coach Ryan Hamm (unlikely he will get it due to lack of head coaching experience) there will be almost complete roster turnover. With all that being said, Lindenwood is a complete wild card at this point in time heading into the season, at least until we see the effects of Coach Randall's departure and what is left of the roster/recruits when the new coach is named.

Re: New GLVC Member - Lindenwood

Welcome aboard to the GLVC. It's always great to see new posters from other schools on here. I hope you will stick around to keep us informed - don't let the crazies here scare you off!

Comment

Word on the street is that they have narrowed it down to three candidates. In no particular order they are; an unnamed Central Michigan assistant, my guess would be Kyle Gerdeman as he has spent a good portion of his coaching career in Missouri and is also a Missouri native. Second is Marty Simmons, currently an assistant at Clemson he was previously the head coach at Evansville and before that SIU-E. Last is a big name that would certainly bring a lot of buzz to the Lindenwood community if he were to be hired, Michael Porter, Sr. Assistant coach and Missouri and of course father to Denver Nuggets player, Michael Porter, Jr. A good mix of candidates I would say, hopefully we know more soon as the July recruiting period will be picking up shortly.

Comment

I follow LU and South Dakota State. Although it looks like LU has three good finalists, the Jacks are far ahead in recruiting at this point unless somebody can get in there and keep some of the recruits. Did Ryan Hamm do recruiting? I guess the decision of whether he sticks around will be up to the new hire.

Comment

BTW--Each of these finalists sounds like they have a stronger resume than Randall did.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled LU View Post
            I follow LU and South Dakota State. Although it looks like LU has three good finalists, the Jacks are far ahead in recruiting at this point unless somebody can get in there and keep some of the recruits. Did Ryan Hamm do recruiting? I guess the decision of whether he sticks around will be up to the new hire.
            I would venture to guess Hamm did the bulk of the recruiting as there was a ton of assistant coach turnover throughout the Randall era, outside of Coach Hamm I don't believe another assistant lasted more than a year. It will be interesting to see what Coach Hamm does, try to stay on as the assistant at Lindenwood or follow Randall back to St. Leo. I agree with you that the candidates have strong resumes - with the nice facilities and campus that Lindenwood has it should attract some good recruits, just need the right guy at the helm.

Comment

Thought LU had money troubles, but if those are the three finalists they have very good resumes. How much $ does Lindenwood have on the table? South Dakota State did an inside promotion to take Otzelberger's place, primarily because I think they wanted some stability and not another three years and out coach. Think they saved over a hundred thou in promoting internally-- think the new coach will be pulling down about $280,000. (Otz made $350,000 before contract increases signed before he left --UNLV paid some big bucks to get him out of there--and was the second highest in the Summit other than cellar dweller Denver.) Would guess Lindenwood's pay to be in the mid one hundreds, how are they getting these names? I'd assume an assistant coach at Mizzou or Clemson would have to be in the 300K+ range.
              Last edited by Grizzled LU; 06-25-2019, 12:44 AM.

Comment

It could be just the appeal to be a head coach and run your own program that a guy would be willing to take a pay cut for - I'd find it hard to imagine any of these guys are living pay check to pay check. Lindenwood has always compensated their coaches fairly well, if I'm not mistaken the rumor was that Brad Soderberg was one of the highest paid D2 coaches when he was at Lindenwood - and that was shortly after they had made the move from NAIA to D2. Bad thing is that with Lindenwood being a private institution I doubt we will ever find out.

Comment

Originally posted by LeoTheLion View Post
                  It could be just the appeal to be a head coach and run your own program that a guy would be willing to take a pay cut for - I'd find it hard to imagine any of these guys are living pay check to pay check. Lindenwood has always compensated their coaches fairly well, if I'm not mistaken the rumor was that Brad Soderberg was one of the highest paid D2 coaches when he was at Lindenwood - and that was shortly after they had made the move from NAIA to D2. Bad thing is that with Lindenwood being a private institution I doubt we will ever find out.

Comment

Kyle Gerdeman has been named the 20th coach in program history. The former Central Michigan assistant had a connection with the Lindenwood Athletic Director, Brad Wachler, who was also at Central Michigan before coming to Lindenwood.

https://lindenwoodlions.com/news/201...px?path=mbball

Comment

If Wachler knows and likes him, it's enough for me. He's from Wright City, so he should know what he's getting into. Feel better about him than a P5 assistant who might be looking cause he's under the gun.

It's awfully late in the year so he better get started on recruiting if the present recruits take off. SDSU went through this big time when Otz took off with their best returning player and they also lost a highly regarded recruit--but that was spring and they did a good job of recovering. I think last years LU team was more or less a one man show so they'd have a lot of recruiting to do anyway but this is awfully late for such a shakeup. Hopefully they'll get a 19-20 roster up sometime by late July.

No comments this morning on the Central Michigan fan board-- which didn't look overly active anyway.

Comment

Yes certainly a lot of holes to fill with the departures of Brad Newman and Chandler Diekvoss, two 1000 point scorers for the lions. Along with steady point guard Adam Pohlman, those three each played 30+ minutes a game. A lot of minutes up for grabs and with no true scorer returning from last years roster we could see a new guy come in a run the show right away.

It's a shame last years senior heavy team couldn't figure it out for whatever reason, they had plenty of opportunities to pick up high quality wins but just couldn't capitalize i.e: @Mankato, @ #10 Florida Southern, @ Washburn, neutral vs. #4 West Texas A&M, Neutral vs #18 St Cloud State. All of these were single digit losses to teams that made the national tournament, they were right there - just couldn't get over the hump.

Comment

I should have given Diekvoss and Pohlmann some reps, both were perfectly adequate D2 players. I spend a fair amount of time driving long distances to Slummit games (welcome back UMKC) and I thought Newman was a player that could have been productive at the mid major level.

Comment

Speaking of UMKC-- think the entire team left when Kareem got booted. Hope something like that doesn't happen this late in the year with LU. Assume Wachler briefed the new hire so he'll know what he's getting into. Be interesting to see what happens with assistant coaches. Guess on the football side, assistants were swapped out during Ross's last year and again with the new HC, so house cleanings aren't always a bad thing.

Comment

Coach on campus yet?
                              Assistant coaches?
                              Leaving players?
                              Patching holes?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X