Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern Indiana trustees vote unanimous to move to Division I

Today's vote was unanimous - we begin the process of transitioning soon!

https://www.courierpress.com/story/n...ts/6691820001/

I'm wary of it, sure it puts us closer to the national spotlight but now we become the "Big Team" when it comes to exhibition games with a D1 vs D2 school. I was discussing this with my mother since we are both alumni, I told her I think it's better to be a big fish in a small pond, and its questionable how big of a fish we truly are, than to be a small fish in a big pond. I'm excited to see where this goes and in a few years hopefully see "University of Southern Indiana" on the big Selection Sunday show but I know the team is going to go through some growing pains.

Comment

Where will they be going- the OVC or Horizon? That remained undisclosed.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
        Where will they be going- the OVC or Horizon? That remained undisclosed.

Comment

USI announces OVC as partner for NCAA reclassification - University of Southern Indiana Athletics (gousieagles.com)

Comment

Hearing that Lindenwood is making the jump to D1 as well.

Comment

OVC makes a ton of sense with all but 1 team within a 3.5 hour drive of Evansville, and with conference championship played at the Ford in Evansville each year. As a founding member of the GLVC, the conference has been good to USI for over 40 years and will be missed. GLVC's westward expansion, along with several of our traditional rivals exiting the conference over the years, likely drove this decision. Nothing lasts forever. Excited to see what the future holds for our Screamin Eagles in the OVC!!

Comment

Originally posted by USI!USI! View Post
                OVC makes a ton of sense with all but 1 team within a 3.5 hour drive of Evansville, and with conference championship played at the Ford in Evansville each year. As a founding member of the GLVC, the conference has been good to USI for over 40 years and will be missed. GLVC's westward expansion, along with several of our traditional rivals exiting the conference over the years, likely drove this decision. Nothing lasts forever. Excited to see what the future holds for our Screamin Eagles in the OVC!!
                I saw that the OVC doesn't sponsor men's soccer. Where will USI's team go?

Comment

Originally posted by USI!USI! View Post
                  Pro to OVC...conference is on way down in Basketball giving USI a chance to make big dance quickly.
                  Con to OVC... conference is hanging on by a thread and needs another football school, which USI isn't, so USI may be looking to move again quickly (like NKU did).

Con to NCAA D1 move...long term future of NCAA as financial powerhouse has to be in doubt. If NIL, rise of prep schools, etc causes Power 5 conferences to leave NCAA completely and set up their own championship tournaments there will be much less revenue to share with smaller schools. This will effect D2 much less since there is less revenue sharing with them.

Comment

Comment

I just read that Murray st and Belmont leaving ovc for mvc, where have I been.

Comment

Originally posted by glvcpro View Post
                        I just read that Murray st and Belmont leaving ovc for mvc, where have I been.
                        Ukraine?

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

Ukraine?
                          Apparently lol.

Comment

Semi-related, but does USI's move to D1 open the door for UIndy to potentially find a new conference? Indiana has gone from having three GLVC schools (UIndy, USI and the now closed St. Joseph's College) to just UIndy. Just throwing a prediction out there, but, considering the GLIAC is desperate for schools with their own mass exodus (the GLIAC just told Conference USA to hold their beer), does that embolden the GLIAC from making a massive push for UIndy to jump ship? Or is there a (very) slim chance that the GMAC swoops in (even though they've expanded their conference far beyond what most of us could have ever predicted)?
                            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                              Semi-related, but does USI's move to D1 open the door for UIndy to potentially find a new conference? Indiana has gone from having three GLVC schools (UIndy, USI and the now closed St. Joseph's College) to just UIndy. Just throwing a prediction out there, but, considering the GLIAC is desperate for schools with their own mass exodus (the GLIAC just told Conference USA to hold their beer), does that embolden the GLIAC from making a massive push for UIndy to jump ship? Or is there a (very) slim chance that the GMAC swoops in (even though they've expanded their conference far beyond what most of us could have ever predicted)?
                              USI's move will make those ideas about a UIndy move heat up again. There are some reasons why GLIAC historically makes sense (affiliate member in Football and swimming for over decade earlier) BUT GMAC is a niche conference being that it only has private colleges. UIndy being a private school with 4,000 students may like the idea of not having to compete with two 20,000+ student publicly funded schools. In fact all the private GLIAC but one (Davenport) have left the GLIAC for the GMAC.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X