Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saint Joseph's College Closing

The Board of Trustees at Saint Joseph's College announced tonight that the University is suspending all academic activities after the Spring 2017 semester. Tonight, the lives of a lot of great students, student-athletes, coaches, faculty, staff and alumni were flipped upside-down, and my heart goes out to each of them.

Here is a link to a local news story: http://fox59.com/2017/02/03/saint-jo...ng-semester-2/

Re: Saint Joseph's College Closing

Hate to see this for many reasons beyond athletics.

Comment

Sad news.
      Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

I can't even begin to imagine what those students are feeling right now. It's devastating. And even more so to the town of Rensselaer. There's not a whole lot there other than the college, so this is just bad news all around.

Comment

Prayers to all affected. Heartbreaking.

Comment

Well.......that just stinks.

Will miss the Pumas.

Comment

Will the GLVC be able to add another school that quickly for the 2017-18 year?

Comment

Very sad to see this.

Comment

As sad as this situation is, I'm a little bit curious to know if/how any of their athletes will be recruited by other teams in the league. I hear that the NCAA would grant immediate eligibility due to a school closing, but are they limited to GLVC, or would they have the option to branch out to other conferences as well?

Looking at their men's basketball roster, they've got 3 guys from Indianapolis, 3 from Chicagoland region, one from Lafayette, one from Richmond IN, one from Sandusky, OH, one from Kansas City, one from the middle of Missouri. And one from Spain.

I'm curious if these kids will gravitate back toward their hometowns - granted some of them would never see minutes on their closest teams. But I'm thinking that Gillespie could play for UWP, Jeffirs at Lewis, K. Williams at Rockhurst. Daniels, Hardaway and Carpenter may get some attention from UIndy, BU, or USI.

Map of schools with St Joe's men's team hometowns added:
                  https://drive.google.com/open?id=13T...eU&usp=sharing

Comment

If they are restricted in any way then the NCAA needs to be shut down and replaced.

Originally posted by schnautza View Post
                    As sad as this situation is, I'm a little bit curious to know if/how any of their athletes will be recruited by other teams in the league. I hear that the NCAA would grant immediate eligibility due to a school closing, but are they limited to GLVC, or would they have the option to branch out to other conferences as well?

Looking at their men's basketball roster, they've got 3 guys from Indianapolis, 3 from Chicagoland region, one from Lafayette, one from Richmond IN, one from Sandusky, OH, one from Kansas City, one from the middle of Missouri. And one from Spain.

I'm curious if these kids will gravitate back toward their hometowns - granted some of them would never see minutes on their closest teams. But I'm thinking that Gillespie could play for UWP, Jeffirs at Lewis, K. Williams at Rockhurst. Daniels, Hardaway and Carpenter may get some attention from UIndy, BU, or USI.

Map of schools with St Joe's men's team hometowns added:
                    https://drive.google.com/open?id=13T...eU&usp=sharing

Comment

I don't think the NCAA would restrict them in anyway. I guess it's possible the GLVC could apply their rule about having to sit out a year if a player transfers within the GLVC but I doubt they would want to harm the players in anyway and would actually want to welcome them to stay in the GLVC. I'm sure there is an exception to the rule for a school that is closing or shutting down their athletics.

Btw, Williams and Hardaway could start for anybody in the GLVC. They were pretty impressive against BU.

Comment

I don't think the NCAA would restrict them - I don't think they would dictate what conference a player can or can't transfer to in any event - I just wonder if the GLVC would enforce their transfer rule where if you transfer in-conference you have to sit out a year.

Comment

It's also worth noting that there are no seniors on this year's squad. I think USI /BU/UIndy really have an opportunity to reach out to a few of these guys.

Comment

Originally posted by kwcpantherfan View Post
                            I don't think the NCAA would restrict them - I don't think they would dictate what conference a player can or can't transfer to in any event - I just wonder if the GLVC would enforce their transfer rule where if you transfer in-conference you have to sit out a year.
                            Those rules exist to protect the original school.....in this case, who is there to protect?

Comment

Originally posted by Lawson View Post
                              Those rules exist to protect the original school.....in this case, who is there to protect?
                              I agree, but it's the GLVC so common sense doesn't always apply.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X