Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Saint Joseph's College Closing

Originally posted by alumnifan View Post
    I read this morning that St. Joseph had raised $200,000. They needed $20,000,000. So, the college has raised 1 percent of what they needed.

Purdue said they would help the students if possible. What will happen to their campus?
    The campus will probably look like a set for The Walking Dead within a couple of years.

Comment

I believe the article stated that the money raised would be returned if they didn't reach their goal. It sounds like they will file some type of bankruptcy. I don't know how that works, if applicable.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightStalker View Post
        May make sense geographically, but might as well hand Drury the regular season men's basketball title every year and the regional top seed. That's five of the best six programs in the East. They get to beat each other up while Drury gets to coast. At least Truman has Quincy and a resurgent Rockhurst in its pod. Drury would have nothing but puff. I think USI and BU would definitely have a problem with that alignment even for only a year. Both teams have some returning talent and could be set for a run at the national championship. Bad enough they have to play each other four times a year already but to add Indy, UWP and Lewis to that would not be exactly fair.
        You sound like me back when the West had all of the GLVC's tournament teams in it, and I would bet that's not how the pods will end up.

In reality, though, the conference setup almost never prevents the best team from winning the league or hosting the regional. I'm not sure I can think of 1 year in the last 10 where that happened.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideMafia View Post
          I would love for Bellarmine to add football...the USI big wigs have no idea how big of an impact football would have on the university, alumni, and community. Football is expensive, I get that...but you can't tell me there isn't a local donor that would fork over a million or two to help start the program. Play at the Reitz bowl whenever Reitz or MD aren't using it, offer bare minimum required scholarships...fill those with skill position players and fill your lines with local and regional players who would basically for free or in addition to their academic money.

Then again that makes too much sense for LMNOP Bennett and her posse.
          Don't know how colleges/students can cope without football homecoming and tailgating. Just being outside on a beautiful fall day or a night game under the lights is so different than sitting inside for a ball game. Lewis and Bellarmine must be full of people that haven't experienced this???

Comment

Originally posted by michiganfb View Post
            Don't know how colleges/students can cope without football homecoming and tailgating. Just being outside on a beautiful fall day or a night game under the lights is so different than sitting inside for a ball game. Lewis and Bellarmine must be full of people that haven't experienced this???
            Meh. I like college football and have a close connection to a traditional power through parents and grandparents who are alums, but I'm okay with how things are now at Bellarmine.

I went to grad school at a medium-sized (12K students or so) university which plays FCS football, and the pigskin is an afterthought there -- it's all about the hoops there too. It's worked out okay for places like Xavier and Marquette, and Bellarmine fancies itself in that mold.

It's not the most popular opinion on this board, but, if Bellarmine is going to shell out a lot of dough for athletics, I would prefer they move the current programs up to D-I (lax is already there), rather than stay D-II and add football.

Comment

Kentucky is to basketball as Michigan is to football.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightStalker View Post
                May make sense geographically, but might as well hand Drury the regular season men's basketball title every year and the regional top seed. That's five of the best six programs in the East. They get to beat each other up while Drury gets to coast. At least Truman has Quincy and a resurgent Rockhurst in its pod. Drury would have nothing but puff. I think USI and BU would definitely have a problem with that alignment even for only a year. Both teams have some returning talent and could be set for a run at the national championship. Bad enough they have to play each other four times a year already but to add Indy, UWP and Lewis to that would not be exactly fair.
                That's a fair point. At the same time, much like other D2 leagues, I would doubt that GLVC schools are swimming in cash, so travel expenses are going to end up playing a huge role in how the pods are set up.
                Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                  That's a fair point. At the same time, much like other D2 leagues, I would doubt that GLVC schools are swimming in cash, so travel expenses are going to end up playing a huge role in how the pods are set up.
                  That's why I don't understand these huge conferences in D2. If there was just 10 -12 teams, would not need a pod system and everybody plays each other twice. A lot more fair that way. I know it's not that easy but it seemed to work for the most of the history of the GLVC.

Comment

According to Verbal Commits, SJC PG CJ Hardaway has transferred to UIndy.

Comment

Originally posted by kwcpantherfan View Post
                      According to Verbal Commits, SJC PG CJ Hardaway has transferred to UIndy.
                      That gives UIndy four returning 2nd-teamers for next year, plus a member of the all-freshman team. Greyhounds look to be loaded for 2017-18.

Comment

http://www.wlfi.com/story/35577250/a...ndiana-college

Do not know how successful they will be but as a guy who grew up around there I sure hope it happens!

Comment

You would think that an alumni effort would have stood a better chance prior to closing rather than post closing. However, I don't know the dynamics of the situation or the possible fiscal mechanisms that might be dependent upon first closing. Rooting for them though.

No word yet regarding a possible Benedictine addition?
                          Last edited by BlueBlood; 06-02-2017, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X