Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USI to OVC, UE to GMAC?

Growing school with new arena on way
    Old overpriced theatre school bleeding athletic $$$ with soon to be renovated on campus 1500 seat "arena"

Re: USI to OVC, UE to GMAC?

Maybe? The first half is plausible. If I'm the AD at USI (or UIndy or Bellarmine) I'm taking a hard look at changing conferences in some way, including up. USI is probably the best situated for moving up.

The thing about UE moving down is that, having heard of it here, I went looking for any discussion of it elsewhere. I couldn't find it. Given the step down in revenue involved, it's unlikely unless something happens to them. Since those who are saying they will drop also dismiss them as "theater school", I'm inclined to see it as bias, not objective prediction.
    Last edited by Wabbott9; 02-14-2017, 08:53 PM. Reason: Wasn't finished

Comment

I would say that if uindy or Bellarmine were to bolt from the glvc, it would be the domino that sets USI in motion to look at D1. Geographically, the OVC is the only conference in the nation that USI sits in the middle of (almost dead center) and is compact enough to minimize travel expenses to less than what they spend in the glvc. It's also a group of teams that USI could realistically compete with to get their feet wet in D1. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by schnautza View Post
        I would say that if uindy or Bellarmine were to bolt from the glvc, it would be the domino that sets USI in motion to look at D1. Geographically, the OVC is the only conference in the nation that USI sits in the middle of (almost dead center) and is compact enough to minimize travel expenses to less than what they spend in the glvc. It's also a group of teams that USI could realistically compete with to get their feet wet in D1. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me.
        Do you play football? Evansville is old school and they are not going to the GMAC.

Comment

Originally posted by Wesleyan62 View Post
          Do you play football? Evansville is old school and they are not going to the GMAC.
          They will bring football back. They need 80 or more to pay 50k a yr. they already have a football stadium named after a basketball coach they play soccer in

Comment

Originally posted by Wesleyan62 View Post
            It looks to me that 9 of 12 OVC members have football, so it's not a requirement if USI really wanted to go that route. The catch is that it would put the OVC at an off 13 members...They'd probably prefer to bring one more in to round it out if possible. (BU?) And I'm not going to speculate on UE.

Comment

The current administration couldn't handle making the transition. Hell, I received a postcard in the mail for groundbreaking of the PAC and now it's been cancelled. Seems that they already had a groundbreaking for a building that they have yet to "break ground" on. A school being led by individuals who have no idea what they are doing can't make the transition to DI.

Comment

I would like to see the true finances behind going small caliber D I. I have a hard time believing it makes economic sense.

Originally posted by WestSideMafia View Post
                The current administration couldn't handle making the transition. Hell, I received a postcard in the mail for groundbreaking of the PAC and now it's been cancelled. Seems that they already had a groundbreaking for a building that they have yet to "break ground" on. A school being led by individuals who have no idea what they are doing can't make the transition to DI.

Comment

Originally posted by bkingbroker View Post
                  I would like to see the true finances behind going small caliber D I. I have a hard time believing it makes economic sense.
                  I've never understood the premise behind wanting to be a nobody in D1 rather than being elite in D2. That goes for recruits as well as schools like SIU-E and NKU that make the jump and flounder. Hell, U of E is a great example of that, too.

Comment

Originally posted by kwcpantherfan View Post
                    I've never understood the premise behind wanting to be a nobody in D1 rather than being elite in D2. That goes for recruits as well as schools like SIU-E and NKU that make the jump and flounder. Hell, U of E is a great example of that, too.
                    I agree. Unless the premise is backed by financial gain which I can't believe to be true.

Comment

Originally posted by kwcpantherfan View Post
                      Simple. If you're an elite D2, you're still a "nobody." At least to a recruit that isn't very near the school already. Unless your on TV, nobody knows you exist. Even if you do get on TV your on an "off the wall" channel or at an awkward time. Then, most likely, the people watching you already know you. So then it comes down to walking into a recruits living room and getting to say your a D1 nobody vs a D2 nobody.

Comment

I am against BU going D1, but the move probably made sense for NKU. The OVC wouldn't let NKU in, mostly because they were afraid that they would be better than the rest of the league in short order. Of course what most people on this board aren't thinking about is the non-revenue sports and how much more will be spent on those when a team goes D1. NKU's league is mostly in Florida, I would think that overall travel budgets are outrageous.

Comment

Originally posted by ABjo View Post
                          Simple. If you're an elite D2, you're still a "nobody." At least to a recruit that isn't very near the school already. Unless your on TV, nobody knows you exist. Even if you do get on TV your on an "off the wall" channel or at an awkward time. Then, most likely, the people watching you already know you. So then it comes down to walking into a recruits living room and getting to say your a D1 nobody vs a D2 nobody.
                          I mean I do understand that part of it to a point but I guess where it loses me is if you're a D1 "nobody" and winning 10 games or less a season, I just don't see how that's preferable to being a D2 "nobody" that is winning conference titles, playing in the post season, and generally being very successful on the court. I mean if the same # of people ultimately are going to know your name at the end of the day, it seems to me like you would want to at least be winning while you're being ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
                            I am against BU going D1, but the move probably made sense for NKU. The OVC wouldn't let NKU in, mostly because they were afraid that they would be better than the rest of the league in short order. Of course what most people on this board aren't thinking about is the non-revenue sports and how much more will be spent on those when a team goes D1. NKU's league is mostly in Florida, I would think that overall travel budgets are outrageous.
                            Actually NKU started in the Atlantic Sun but is now in the Horizon League which has a very similar footprint to the GLIAC, though I think it's a little wider East to West.

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
                              Northern is in the Horizon now.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X