Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 Regional Rankings

More or less what I expected. I'm a little surprised Parkside dropped 2 whole spots. I was more figuring they'd drop 1. And I'm surprised Wayne is still in the top 10 after getting annihilated 90-47 by LSSU, though none of the teams we have all been assuming as "on the bubble" distinguished themselves either, so I guess nobody did enough to jump over them.

Comment

Originally posted by kwcpantherfan View Post
      More or less what I expected. I'm a little surprised Parkside dropped 2 whole spots. I was more figuring they'd drop 1. And I'm surprised Wayne is still in the top 10 after getting annihilated 90-47 by LSSU, though none of the teams we have all been assuming as "on the bubble" distinguished themselves either, so I guess nobody did enough to jump over them.
      The only thing I can think is that the committee likely wanted to move Quincy ahead of UWP because their numbers are higher both in RPI and PI, but then, by doing so, Truman also has slightly better RPI and PI numbers - as well as a road head-to-head win against Parkside - so it ended up being a two-spot swing.

Comment

Yes, I think Indy took themselves out with the loss to Parkside while Lewis definitely went bye bye with losing 2. I think Wayne should be out too but who would move up there? Drury? Michigan Tech? Can't really say anybody else is worthy. I think we have the 8 unless upset in the conference tourneys of course. The only thing left is the order of the 8. I think everyone of the 8 could be in a different in the end except for....KWC! I think they are pretty much stuck at 4. (I guess the loser of the BU-USI game could tank in the opener of the GLVC tourney and drop to 4 but not sure that would be enough.)
        Last edited by KnightStalker; 02-22-2017, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Based on the fields for the conference tourneys - all slots are filled for the GLIAC, G-MAC, and all but the lowest seed in the GLVC - Here's all the possible teams that could make the regional as of this moment (there are 27). Anyone not on this list is "out":

GLVC
          Bellarmine (1)
          USI (2)
          Quincy (6)
          Truman (7)
          Parkside (8)
          UIndy
          Lewis
          St. Joe's
          Drury
          Rockhurst
          Missouri S&T
          Missouri St. Louis*
          William Jewell*

GLIAC
          Ferris St (3)
          Findlay (5)
          Lake Superior (9)
          Wayne St (10)
          Grand Valley St
          Hillsdale
          Michigan Tech
          Ashland

G-MAC
          KWC (4)
          Alderson Broaddus
          Davis & Elkins
          Malone
          Cedarville
          Trevecca Nazarene

*Either UMSL or WJC will make the GLVC tourney

Comment

Originally posted by KnightStalker View Post
            Yes, I think Indy took themselves out with the loss to Parkside while Lewis definitely went bye bye with losing 2. I think Wayne should be out too but who would move up there? Drury? Michigan Tech? Can't really say anybody else is worthy. I think we have the 8 unless upset in the conference tourneys of course. The only thing left is the order of the 8. I think everyone of the 8 could be in a different in the end except for....KWC! I think they are pretty much stuck at 4. (I guess the loser of the BU-USI game could tank in the opener of the GLVC tourney and drop to 4 but not sure that would be enough.)
            I agree with you that the 8 appear pretty set barring "mini-tourney" upsets. There are still some teams that you could call "bubble" teams but none of them have done anything to strengthen their case over the last week or so, and the opportunities for them to do so are dwindling. I don't know if it's just a case of more parity in the region (i.e. many good teams beating each other up) or if the region is legitimately less deep than it has been in the past. It just doesn't seem like there's going to be a bunch of teams left out that you can point at and say "they should have been in" this year like there has been in recent years.

Comment

We know for sure #1 or #2 is going to lose a game. How will the loss affect them in the regional ratings?

Comment

Originally posted by Looking For 9 View Post
                We know for sure #1 or #2 is going to lose a game. How will the loss affect them in the regional ratings?
                The loser, unless Ferris also loses, is going to slip to third.

Comment

Tonight's lineup:
                  1) Bellarmine vs. Southern Indiana (BU -6.5)
                  2) Southern Indiana at Bellarmine
                  3) Ferris State vs. Grand Valley (FS -10.5)
                  4) Kentucky Wesleyan
                  5) Findlay at Walsh (UF -4.5)
                  6) Quincy at Truman (TSU -3.5)
                  7) Truman vs. Quincy
                  8) UW-Parkside vs. Lewis (UWP -8.5)

9) Lake Superior State at Northwood (LSS -12.5)
                  10) Wayne State vs. Saginaw Valley (WSU -4.5)

Next 2 in PI:
                  1) Ashland vs. Tiffin (AU -9.5)
                  2) Hillsdale (idle)
                  Last edited by Tyler Madsen; 02-23-2017, 08:41 AM. Reason: Took out SVSU since tonight is their final game of the season (no GLIAC tournament)

Comment

So has Ferris already secured hosting the GLIAC, regardless of tonight's games?

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
                      So has Ferris already secured hosting the GLIAC, regardless of tonight's games?
                      It appears they have since the GLIAC site has them with the #1 seed. I guess it is due to the fact the North division has one more team than the South so Findlay plays one less conference game than Ferris. Of course they have to win their first round game for the rest of the tourney to be played at Ferris.

Comment

It appears to me that Ferris' first round opponent is either Hillsdale or Ashland depending on how Ashland does tonight against Tiffin at home. So most likely it will be Hillsdale. Findlay would get Ashland. LSSU, Wayne, Michigan Tech and Grand Valley will be the other quarterfinal games. The four of them are all at 12-8 in the conference right now so it will depend on how they do tonight to determine the locations and matchups..(I am not going to do a Tyler or schnautza and figure that one out right now.)

Comment

Findlay potentially gets screwed on that, considering they beat Ferris at Ferris. It's all irrelevant if Ferris wins tonight, but decent fodder for message boards.

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
                            Findlay potentially gets screwed on that, considering they beat Ferris at Ferris.
                            Take a look at the North versus the South divisions of the GLIAC and try saying that again. I don't think Ferris would agree.

Comment

Amazing thing is a teams like Saginaw and Walsh are not even in contention to make the GLIAC tourney. Saginaw is 17-10 and Walsh 16-10 but they are SOL for the conference tourney and I would think the regional tourney as well. I dare say there probably hasn't been a team in the Midwest Region at least who made the regional but didn't even make their conference tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightStalker View Post
                                Amazing thing is a teams like Saginaw and Walsh are not even in contention to make the GLIAC tourney. Saginaw is 17-10 and Walsh 16-10 but they are SOL for the conference tourney and I would think the regional tourney as well. I dare say there probably hasn't been a team in the Midwest Region at least who made the regional but didn't even make their conference tourney.
                                I didn't realize this when I included SVSU as another game to watch tonight on my previous post in the thread... the more I think about it, the more I really think it's down to just 9-10 teams for the 8-team field, barring someone outside of that grouping winning a conference tournament.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X