Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This quote is from an interview with the Lee University President prior to the 2013-14 school year, which was Year 2 for Lee in the move from NAIA to D2. Every school's transition to D2 is different but this might give some insight to the process.

Link to full interview: http://www.goleeflames.com/documents..._Web.pdf?id=48

9. how will we pay the higher costs of being in NCAA? will these additional expenses create tighter budgets for our academic programs?

Actually, we believe the overall costs of being in NCAA DII will not be higher. This is a common misperception, and I addressed it in my Q and A with the faculty in April. I won't repeat all the details here, but there are several aspects of NCAA DII membership which will actually cost less than we have been spending as NAIA members.

Our cost of athletic scholarships, for example, has gone down in the new fiscal year budget, as all our coaches have brought their total financial aid dollars into compliance with the stricter NCAA limits. There are also considerable savings in the cost of postseason travel. We will talk more about this as we go along, when I can show you actual numbers, but our athletic budgets for 2013-14 were set several months ago, so we already know that our costs will not be higher.

Comment

• When Cedarville, Walsh, Malone, etc transitioned, I recall the schools indicating that the extra cost were almost all on the admin staffing side. The NCAA is more structured and is more report and compliance intensive. The NCAA also dictates a minimum number of admin positions, and requires a full time compliance officer.

Comment

• It will be interesting to see if men's lacrosse moves from a G-MAC-sponsored sport to an MEC-sponsored sport.

The G-MAC inherited the old ECAC D2 lacrosse league a few years ago. The ECAC was a collection of the PSAC, GLIAC and WVIAC schools that played lacrosse. The WVIAC schools are now in the MEC and the GLIAC schools are now in the G-MAC, but its the same collection of schools that it was years ago (minus UIndy, as the GLVC now sponsors lacrosse).

Anyway, with AB and D&E now in the MEC, the MEC now has numbers. They have AB, D&E, and Frostburg (and on again off again Wheeling). The PSAC has Mercyhurst and Seton Hill. The G-MAC has Lake Erie and Walsh (and on again off again OVU).

So, I'm guessing the league banner may change again, even if the schools in the league stay the same.

Comment

• Well, AB has now reappeared on the G-MAC site as an Associate Member. So. I'm guessing the G-MAC will keep men's lacrosse for at least this year.

Comment

• If the G-MAC decides to shift all Fall sports competition and championships to the Spring semester, it will be an incredibly busy Spring on G-MAC campuses.

Comment

• Sad to report that former Cedarville men's basketball player and former Poca (WV) HS standout Jason Cuffee passed away last night. He played for Cedarville during the early days of the G-MAC....I believe as a transfer from Liberty U. He was a fireman/medic for Charleston (WV) fire department. He died while on duty.

Comment

• Last edited by BlueBlood; 07-20-2020, 09:37 AM.

Comment

• https://greatmidwestsports.com/news/...p-updates.aspx
                  Last edited by BlueBlood; 08-04-2020, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
                    Where are they going? Will they form a new three-team conference with Salem and Bluefield State?

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                      Where are they going? Will they form a new three-team conference with Salem and Bluefield State?
                      Good question. Ohio Valley doesn't even know yet. OHIO VALLEY UNIVERSITY ANNOUNCES FINAL YEAR OF G-MAC MEMBERSHIP

Comment

• Comment

• Yeah, that seems likely. They're the only one of the West Virginia D2 schools that wasn't a WVIAC member in the NAIA days, and were the last of the bunch to make the jump to D2.

Comment

• Last edited by BlueBlood; 08-05-2020, 05:52 AM.

Comment

• Report on "stress test" of colleges and universities..
                              https://www.nbcnews.com/news/educati...acker-n1235337

GMAC schools...

Hillsdale

entering

leaving/left

Comment

• Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X