Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post

I would absolutely buy that book. I love all the inside baseball that goes into these conferences and who goes where. I am convinced this is what non-sports fans get out of soap operas.

As for the GLIAC future, you are absolutely right. They need to either embrace the "de facto D2 confernce of Michigan" title or risk falling apart like the old WVIAC. They desperately need to bring in some NAIA football schools and maybe even go after the Chicagoland area for expansion (non-football Lewis from the GLVC).

As for TNU, I am really perplexed on what they should do. They made the GMAC viable at first, but I do not see a future for them there.

As for KWC, I honestly think they will end up back in the GLVC sooner or later.

As for future of the GMAC, I am actively rooting for expansion to NDC and maybe growth into Indiana for my Uindy Greyhounds. I would love the addition of some NAIA powerhouses here in Indiana to pair with Uindy to create the GMAC Indiana wing of Uindy, Marian, and Saint Francis-FW. Maybe add Indiana Wesleyan and/or Taylor as well.

Thanks to BlueBlood for leading me over here. This type of discussion is the main reason I keep up on these message boards.
      Most of what drove the WVIAC apart was internal. Not going to rehash it here, but the crux of the issue was a long festering disagreement between the football playing schools and the non-football playing schools. The bolt that finally drove the football playing schools out of the WVIAC was the last minute vote on admitting UVa Wise. Also worth noting that the WVIAC "existed" after the 9 football playing schools announced they were leaving the WVIAC. The five remaining members of the WVIAC could have continued on but most decided to accept offers from other conferences (3 to the GMAC and 1 to the PSAC) or go independent and the conference closed up shop in 2013.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Most of what drove the WVIAC apart was internal. Not going to rehash it here, but the crux of the issue was a long festering disagreement between the football playing schools and the non-football playing schools. The bolt that finally drove the football playing schools out of the WVIAC was the last minute vote on admitting UVa Wise. Also worth noting that the WVIAC "existed" after the 9 football playing schools announced they were leaving the WVIAC. The five remaining members of the WVIAC could have continued on but most decided to accept offers from other conferences (3 to the GMAC and 1 to the PSAC) or go independent and the conference closed up shop in 2013.
        Interesting. I find the whole dissolution of the WVIAC crazy now that the MEC has become essentially the WVIAC 2.0.

Comment

Interesting. I find the whole dissolution of the WVIAC crazy now that the MEC has become essentially the WVIAC 2.0.
          The evolution of the WVIAC/MEC has been interesting. The MEC was originally touted as being less WVish and more of a regional conference than the WVIAC was. However, It's really just NDC and the WV schools at this point. The original non-WV schools in the MEC were NDC, UVA Wise and Urbana. Wise left and Urbana folded. NDC is last man standing. Frostburg was added from MD, but I think Frostburg is only like 8 miles outside the WV border. It walks like a WV duck and talks like a WV duck. Actually, in its final form, the WVIAC was probably a little more regional than the MEC currently is, as it had both Seton Hill and Pitt Johnstown.

Anyone with a map and a history book knows that NDC probably belongs in the GMAC. I still think that it will happen someday, but there is obviously a reason or reasons preventing that. Posters on here have taken educated guesses through the years regarding what happened between NDC and the GMAC schools, but I don't think anyone really knows for sure. No worries and no complaints though, as the MEC has been a workable solution thus far. Every school is a bit of a hike from NE Ohio, but no school is unreachable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stea1th View Post

The evolution of the WVIAC/MEC has been interesting. The MEC was originally touted as being less WVish and more of a regional conference than the WVIAC was. However, It's really just NDC and the WV schools at this point. The original non-WV schools in the MEC were NDC, UVA Wise and Urbana. Wise left and Urbana folded. NDC is last man standing. Frostburg was added from MD, but I think Frostburg is only like 8 miles outside the WV border. It walks like a WV duck and talks like a WV duck. Actually, in its final form, the WVIAC was probably a little more regional than the MEC currently is, as it had both Seton Hill and Pitt Johnstown.

Anyone with a map and a history book knows that NDC probably belongs in the GMAC. I still think that it will happen someday, but there is obviously a reason or reasons preventing that. Posters on here have taken educated guesses through the years regarding what happened between NDC and the GMAC schools, but I don't think anyone really knows for sure. No worries and no complaints though, as the MEC has been a workable solution thus far. Every school is a bit of a hike from NE Ohio, but no school is unreachable.
            I am curious, as an NDC fan, what do you think was the hang up that made them drop out of the original GMAC talks back when the conference was founded? I have always been curious about that aspect, and I will probably never get the full answer.

I too think that NDC should probably end up in the GMAC, and I think the mixture of those old mystery reasons from the original GMAC discussions mixed with the only marginal cost savings right now in the GMAC (due to the KWC/TNU trip) is the current logic for staying MEC. I would bet that if a new administration (one that was uninvolved with the old GMAC talks) took over sometime and if the KWC/TNU side of the GMAC eventually went elsewhere, that NDC would find the GMAC too much of a cost savings not to go.
            Last edited by Uindy18; 04-27-2021, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• I think blue-blood's post a page back is likely close to accurate.

The GLIAC gave membership to ODU, LEC, Walsh and Malone. The GLIAC did not invite NDC, Urbana Cedarville and Ursuline. The GLIAC split the group that wanted to start its own conference right down the middle.

So few schools were left to create the GMAC that the OH schools had to awkwardly align with KY and TN schools. Despite rejecting NDC as a full member, the GLIAC offended partial membership to a number of NDC teams. NDC administration deemed that being a partial GLIAC member in some sports and independent in others was more appealing than being a GMAC member in all sports. Then, and I seriously think it was out or the blue, NDC was invited to join the MEC. One conference for all sports. So NDC left the GLIAC associations behind and associated with the WV schools.

Somewhere in all that, some feathers got ruffled.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stea1th View Post
                I think blue-blood's post a page back is likely close to accurate.

The GLIAC gave membership to ODU, LEC, Walsh and Malone. The GLIAC did not invite NDC, Urbana Cedarville and Ursuline. The GLIAC split the group that wanted to start its own conference right down the middle.

So few schools were left to create the GMAC that the OH schools had to awkwardly align with KY and TN schools. Despite rejecting NDC as a full member, the GLIAC offended partial membership to a number of NDC teams. NDC administration deemed that being a partial GLIAC member in some sports and independent in others was more appealing than being a GMAC member in all sports. Then, and I seriously think it was out or the blue, NDC was invited to join the MEC. One conference for all sports. So NDC left the GLIAC associations behind and associated with the WV schools.

Somewhere in all that, some feathers got ruffled.
                Yeah, no one will really ever know what exactly happened there. With the current state of the MEC however, it shows that those old hurt feelings can eventually wear off in the name of cost savings. The old WVIAC died and a lot of old bad blood politics was created amongst those schools. Yet now, with their more recent additions of Aldersonn Broaddus and Davis & Elkins, everyone has seemingly gotten over their issues and realized that end of the day, geography is geography and its always gonna be cheaper to play the schools closest to you, even if you are pissed at them for whatever reason.

Comment

MEC has teams in West Virginia, Ohio, Maryland and North Carolina. WVIAC had team WV and PA.

Comment

Yeah, no one will really ever know what exactly happened there. With the current state of the MEC however, it shows that those old hurt feelings can eventually wear off in the name of cost savings. The old WVIAC died and a lot of old bad blood politics was created amongst those schools. Yet now, with their more recent additions of Aldersonn Broaddus and Davis & Elkins, everyone has seemingly gotten over their issues and realized that end of the day, geography is geography and its always gonna be cheaper to play the schools closest to you, even if you are pissed at them for whatever reason.
                    Not everyone is over it!

We talk about travel distance as if it is the end all for every school. Clearly that is NOT the case for a number of schools. Sure, if your school is struggling financially, being able to play a team in the next county does save you some sheckles which could help keep the lights on. But I dont think NDC is struggling financially...are they??

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                      Not everyone is over it!

We talk about travel distance as if it is the end all for every school. Clearly that is NOT the case for a number of schools. Sure, if your school is struggling financially, being able to play a team in the next county does save you some sheckles which could help keep the lights on. But I dont think NDC is struggling financially...are they??
                      Yes, the MEC has some outlying schools in Frostburg, UNC Pembroke, and NDC, but the base of the conference has become the WV schools that were the base of the old WVIAC. Hence the WVIAC 2.0 comment. And No, I do not think NDC is struggling, but across the D2 level, budgets are tight even at the well off schools. Unless you are Grand Valley or Northwest Missouri, travel costs will always play a big role in who you schedule/what conference you join.

I simply think that the NDC to the GMAC move is more of a when than an if, much like Ashland was. At some point or another, the GMAC will make more sense for NDC. Might be tomorrow might be a decade from now. No one knows really.

Comment

Yes, the MEC has some outlying schools in Frostburg, UNC Pembroke, and NDC, but the base of the conference has become the WV schools that were the base of the old WVIAC. Hence the WVIAC 2.0 comment.

Comment

• :)

Comment

• I guess I did not realize how close Frostburg was. Additionally, as for UNC Pembroke, their normal conference is Conference Carolinas I believe which has something like 4 football schools playing as affiliates in other conferences. I imagine if that conference adds a couple more football schools, UNC Pembroke is no longer a concern.
                            Last edited by Uindy18; 04-29-2021, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• Northwood University Athletics Changing Conference Affiliation - Northwood University Athletics (Michigan) (gonorthwood.com)

I guess Northwood is making the jump. I honestly do not understand this for Northwood. The costs just seem so high, but oh well, I guess I was wrong. In other news, the GLIAC is kinda in a tough spot now with losing another member.

Comment

• Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X