Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .....that said - welcome Timberwolves!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post
      Northwood University Athletics Changing Conference Affiliation - Northwood University Athletics (Michigan) (gonorthwood.com)

I guess Northwood is making the jump. I honestly do not understand this for Northwood. The costs just seem so high, but oh well, I guess I was wrong. In other news, the GLIAC is kinda in a tough spot now with losing another member.
      Yikes...travel time from KWC is 8 hours and 9 from TNU.

Can Davenport be far behind in leaving GLIAC?

Comment

• Ditto. I am perplexed, the only thing I can think of that I am missing is some sort of larger issue within the GLIAC and this is the first step of a full on collapse.

Comment

• Originally posted by WKYDave View Post

Davenport will be the only private school left in the GLIAC so they have to be thinking about moving.

Comment

That would be something, I am really interested in the future of the GLIAC now. They cannot seem to hold onto private schools, but the only expansion candidates I can think of for them are all private.

Comment

• Well, I guess the crazy thing is that the poster who had early info on Northwood also said that he was told by two GMAC coaches that KWC and TNU were leaving.

Obviously, its not a crazy concept geographically speaking - but it would be a big deal historically/culturally, as both schools put a lot of blood and sweat into the conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
                Well, I guess the crazy thing is that the poster who had early info on Northwood also said that he was told by two GMAC coaches that KWC and TNU were leaving.

Obviously, its not a crazy concept geographically speaking - but it would be a big deal historically/culturally, as both schools put a lot of blood and sweat into the conference.

Ya, i think that was a move that everyone has predicted for awhile. I would be most interested in where they go. KWC could feasibly find themselves back in the GLVC, as for TNU, I do not see any natural fit in D2. Maybe GSC or Peach Belt? They are in an odd spot between like a bunch conferences and a good fit in none of them geographically/culturally.
                Last edited by Uindy18; 04-29-2021, 12:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post

Davenport will be the only private school left in the GLIAC so they have to be thinking about moving.

Comment

• I'd like to say that I don't think Trevecca and KWC will leave the GMAC but I was wrong about Northwood so I guess I'll just sit here and wait for it to happen.

Comment

• As has been said multiple times...there are not good options for KWC or TNU. KWC cannot compete competitively across many sports in GMAC and absolutely can't in a conference with state-funded schools. I think Bellermine and NKU going D1 and leaving GLVC removes some of the bad blood but I just don't see GLVC wanting KWC back because of its sports funding issues. Gulf South has even more state-funded schools than GLVC and it as spread out of GMAC. The idea of a "new" mid-south D2 conference of private schools just doesn't make sense. Most you could piece together is Lindenwood, Maryville, McKendree, KWC, Christian Brothers (Memphis), Union (Jackson), TNU, Lee (Cleveland, TN) and Shorter (North GA) and not enough play football for it to be a conference sport.

Why would any of those schools leave GLVC or Gulf South anyway?

Comment

As has been said multiple times...there are not good options for KWC or TNU. KWC cannot compete competitively across many sports in GMAC and absolutely can't in a conference with state-funded schools. I think Bellermine and NKU going D1 and leaving GLVC removes some of the bad blood but I just don't see GLVC wanting KWC back because of its sports funding issues. Gulf South has even more state-funded schools than GLVC and it as spread out of GMAC. The idea of a "new" mid-south D2 conference of private schools just doesn't make sense. Most you could piece together is Lindenwood, Maryville, McKendree, KWC, Christian Brothers (Memphis), Union (Jackson), TNU, Lee (Cleveland, TN) and Shorter (North GA) and not enough play football for it to be a conference sport.

This is why I don't think they will leave the GMAC. Their only other option is to go the NAIA route and I don't see that happening either.
                        Last edited by UFOILERFAN; 04-29-2021, 10:31 PM.

Comment

• Would TNU be such a bad fit in the GSC?

Comment

As has been said multiple times...there are not good options for KWC or TNU. KWC cannot compete competitively across many sports in GMAC and absolutely can't in a conference with state-funded schools. I think Bellermine and NKU going D1 and leaving GLVC removes some of the bad blood but I just don't see GLVC wanting KWC back because of its sports funding issues. Gulf South has even more state-funded schools than GLVC and it as spread out of GMAC. The idea of a "new" mid-south D2 conference of private schools just doesn't make sense. Most you could piece together is Lindenwood, Maryville, McKendree, KWC, Christian Brothers (Memphis), Union (Jackson), TNU, Lee (Cleveland, TN) and Shorter (North GA) and not enough play football for it to be a conference sport.

I do not think they would. My bet would be KWC to the GLVC (they have USI right across the river and it is another mostly private school conference). As for TNU, I think the geographic fit would be the GSC, but I cannot imagine them getting an invite to there unless the GSC has someone move up to D1 and they are in dire need of a replacement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                              Would TNU be such a bad fit in the GSC?
                              Geographically, they do not fit terribly. I am just not sure they really fit in competition wise and culturally. GSC is probably the best D2 conference of the south, and TNU probably would not get an invite. I would say they could maybe fit in the Peach Belt, but travel would be a very similar problem to they have now in the GMAC.

Comment

• I've mentioned on here before that travel to the TNU/KWC combo hasn't seemed to be an issue for the northern schools. Schools hit TNU and KWC on the same trip. TNU is literally in Nashville and I've seen tons of social media posts by different G-MAC schools showing their teams hanging out on the Broadway strip. I think its a trip that a lot of kids look forward to despite the long bus ride. KWC is a stop on the way to Nashville. Now if TNU wasn't in one of America's best cities and was just in small town TN - that might get to people.

On the flip side - TNU and KWC have to hate constantly pointing the bus wheels north.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X