Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stea1th View Post
    Sometimes a move is good for these schools.

I agree that OVU will do much better in NAIA. They are clearly not at the same level as the other GMAC schools.

I know that overall D&E was not very competitive in the GMAC, but they actually did considerably better last year in the MEC. They had the 4th most points in the MEC Commissioners Cup standings. They achieved that position despite getting zero points for football. In the Learfield standings, they were 2nd, only behind Charleston (and were ahead of NDC!).
    In all fairness to D&E, they were decently competitive in the early G-MAC years . They then got pushed backward when the GLIAC schools started moving in. Glad to hear they are having more success in the MEC.
    Last edited by BlueBlood; 06-24-2021, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• D&E reached match play in men's golf, which is pretty rare for any Atlantic/East region school. (And it probably wouldn't have happened if they were still in the Midwest region).

Comment

• Good for D&E. Happy to see them have success in the MEC, with AB. Both of them belonged there anyway in the long run. I think OVU will be a good fit in NAIA as well. They were always a fringe D2 team with facilities that looked like lower level D3 and the only real success was in men's/women's soccer

Comment

• I always liked AB and D&E institutionally. Obviously they got pushed to the back of the class when the GLIAC schools came in (from an all-sports competitiveness perspective). However, they seemed like they were well-run schools with well-run athletic departments and nice facilities. They were solid early G-MAC members and were super involved in helping build the G-MAC into what it is today. I'm glad that both still have men's lacrosse in the G-MAC so that they can reap a little of what they sowed.

Equating OVU facilities to D3 is kind. My kids middle school had nicer facilities.. No ill will toward them at all - it just is what it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
            I always liked AB and D&E institutionally. Obviously they got pushed to the back of the class when the GLIAC schools came in (from an all-sports competitiveness perspective). However, they seemed like they were well-run schools with well-run athletic departments and nice facilities. They were solid early G-MAC members and were super involved in helping build the G-MAC into what it is today. I'm glad that both still have men's lacrosse in the G-MAC so that they can reap a little of what they sowed.

Equating OVU facilities to D3 is kind. My kids middle school had nicer facilities.. No ill will toward them at all - it just is what it is.
            Fair point, compared to high schools gyms here in Indiana, the OVU gym was a joke. But I hear we tend to be a bit over the top when it comes to our gyms so I was trying to scale it back.

Comment

• Today Ashland is officially a member of the GMAC. Glad to be on board.

https://goashlandeagles.com/news/202...onference.aspx

Comment

• Glad to have Ashland on board!! Welcome Eagles.

Comment

• I know the talk of the NCAA new NIL rules have mostly been D1 athletes, but a win for D2 happened yesterday. Ashland's track star Trevor Bassitt who made it to the finals at the Olympic trials last week in the 400H will be returning for his last year or eligibility mainly because of these new rules. I'm sure AU will be glad to have him around again for another track season.

Comment

• As we sit at the 10-year mark for the conference, it is obvious that the G-MAC has turned into a really nice all-sports conference. Ashland, Findlay, Tiffin, Walsh and Hillsdale are a solid top of the conference. Cedarville, ODU and Malone are a very respectable middle grouping, and I would expect Northwood to further solidify the middle. Even those schools that find themselves in the lower tier of the conference's all-sports standings are often very competitive in certain key sports.

Overall, there is nice competitive balance and while I tiered the schools above, I don't think those are static groupings. I don't think any school is going to enter a season as the "I'd be shocked if they don't win the [insert sport] championship" favorite.

I know that GLIAC posters love bashing the G-MAC. But honestly, I have a feeling that the G-MAC members are pretty confident in the direction this thing is heading.

Comment

As we sit at the 10-year mark for the conference, it is obvious that the G-MAC has turned into a really nice all-sports conference. Ashland, Findlay, Tiffin, Walsh and Hillsdale are a solid top of the conference. Cedarville, ODU and Malone are a very respectable middle grouping, and I would expect Northwood to further solidify the middle. Even those schools that find themselves in the lower tier of the conference's all-sports standings are often very competitive in certain key sports.

Overall, there is nice competitive balance and while I tiered the schools above, I don't think those are static groupings. I don't think any school is going to enter a season as the "I'd be shocked if they don't win the [insert sport] championship" favorite.

I know that GLIAC posters love bashing the G-MAC. But honestly, I have a feeling that the G-MAC members are pretty confident in the direction this thing is heading.
                      I agree 100 percent. I really think the GMAC has been really good at building up the conference slowly but surely. The nucleus of Ohio schools is solid, and can grow even more.The WV schools (and KWC/TNU) have provided the conference stability at times where things easily could have fallen apart. While there is some stratification, pretty much every school in the conference has at least a sport or two in which they are particularly competitive.

Comment

• Looks like Lake Erie is selling old helmets and jerseys if anyone is interested. Thinking about one for a wall hanger in my office: https://www.lakeeriestorm.com/sports...20210615t70kh4

Comment

• I saw a couple social media posts lately regarding St. Cloud St. having soccer and swimming and diving in the GLIAC. I would have missed the earlier announcement. Upper Iowa (soccer and lacrosse) and Concordia MN (lacrosse) are already affiliate members.

So, in addition to all teams going to the U.P. and Wisconsin, GLIAC schools now send Women's Lacrosse and Men's soccer teams to Iowa and Minnesota.

I don't want to hear any complaining about the G-MAC trips to Nashville!
                          Last edited by BlueBlood; 07-08-2021, 04:33 PM.

Comment

I saw a couple social media posts lately regarding St. Cloud St. having soccer and swimming and diving in the GLIAC. I would have missed the earlier announcement. Upper Iowa (soccer and lacrosse) and Concordia MN (lacrosse) are already affiliate members.

So, in addition to all teams going to the U.P. and Wisconsin, GLIAC schools now send Women's Lacrosse and Men's soccer teams to Iowa and Minnesota.

I don't want to hear any complaining about the G-MAC trips to Nashville!
                            Yes, i dont know about Saint Cloud and Upper Iowa, but I know they have had Concordia in for Lacrosse for sometime. Even before the GLVC schools quit being affiliate members last year I think when they got enough to sponsor, I remember Uindy hosting Concordia for women's lacrosse as a conference game.

Comment

• Former Member and Future Member All-Sports updates.

The two schools that left for the MEC:
                              AB went from the bottom of the G-MAC to the bottom of the MEC. They finished 12/12 in the MEC's Commissioner's Cup. D&E continues to do better in the MEC than they did in the G-MAC. They finished 6/12..

The incoming schools from the GLIAC:
                              Ashland again finished second in the GLIAC. I'm not sure how many years in a row they have been #2 - but I know its a lot. Northwood finished 7/12 n the GLIAC, which obviously is mid-pack. It should be noted though that spots 3 through 7 were all within 10 points of each other. Basically, you have GV, then AU, then a 5-school grouping.
                              Last edited by BlueBlood; 07-16-2021, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Former Member and Future Member All-Sports updates.

The two schools that left for the MEC:
                                AB went from the bottom of the G-MAC to the bottom of the MEC. They finished 12/12 in the MEC's Commissioner's Cup. D&E continues to do better in the MEC than they did in the G-MAC. They finished 6/12..

The incoming schools from the GLIAC:
                                Ashland again finished second in the GLIAC. I'm not sure how many years in a row they have been #2 - but I know its a lot. Northwood finished 7/12 n the GLIAC, which obviously is mid-pack. It should be noted though that spots 3 through 7 were all within 10 points of each other. Basically, you have GV, then AU, then a 5-school grouping.
                                Really goes to show how big a deal it was to get Ashland. They will immediately contend for most sports, they are a perfect geographic fit, and they are a very stable program that stregthens the conference overall. I love the Ashland addition, but the Northwood one will probably never make total sense to me. I get the private/public school thing, but I really think they belong back in the GLIAC based on geography mostly.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X