Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm fairly certain that there has been an understanding between the G-MAC and the GLVC regarding the G-MAC not pursuing GLVC schools. As most here know - Commissioner Daeger was the Associate Commissioner for the GLVC prior to leading the G-MAC. By all appearances, he left the GLVC on very good terms and has maintained a very good relationship with his former employer. The G-MAC and GLVC offices are literally down the street from each other and the conferences have even posted pictures of joint parties and lunches on social media. I don't think all of that would be going on if there was a "they are trying to raid us" situation.

However, while there may not be active courting of UIndy, its undeniable that the G-MAC has low-key built something that may be very appealing to UIndy. Adding long-time UIndy rivals Hillsdale and Ashland is significant, as is geography and familiarity with other new G-MAC members. Basically, the G-MAC did a real nice job creating a "build it and they will come" situation.

Conversely, in the GLVC, UIndy has witnessed the exodus of KWC, St Josephs and Bellarmine. Now USI is possibly out the door too. As was said above, UIndy's island is getting further and further from the mainland.

At this point, I think there is a better chance of UIndy moving to the G-MAC or going D1 than there is that they stay in the GLVC much longer.

Comment

• Yeah I agree, but of course with UIndy I don't think it's ever been a "raiding" kind of thing but more where do they fit best? And to your point that's been shifting more and more into the G-MAC footprint over the past few years. That's partly because of schools like Bellarmine leaving, St. Joe's going belly up, etc, but also when you combine the footprint moves that the G-MAC has made (i.e. bringing it closer to Indy) and the moves the GLVC has made (adding schools farther away from Indy to make up for those that have left) it's rapidly becoming a choice for Indy whether to sit on an island or move.

That being said, they might choose to sit on the island. KWC and TNU have done so within the G-MAC, though to be fair we don't really have any significantly better footprint to move into conference wise as we're on the outer edge of pretty much every conference. So who knows what will happen.

Comment

• Yeah, we thought Notre Dame would jump, too. That being said, the GLVC should move their headquarters to Missouri.

Comment

• Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
          Yeah, we thought Notre Dame would jump, too.
          Yeah, but that has the whole bad-blood thing that we know exists but I don't think any of us really has the whole story on.

Comment

• Comment

• Haven't heard any official news since Northwood (joining G-MAC 2022-23) and Thomas More (joining G-MAC 2023-24) announcements.

USI announced its doing a D1 exploratory study.

Then, there are the GVSU rumors re FCS. There is a lot of smoke on that one, as multiple football recruits have said the GVSU coaching staff not only mentioned the move to FCS generically, but to the OVC specifically.

Comment

• Had not heard that detail on grand valley. I know there was some concern with ferris being able to handle an FCS football schedule from a facilities standpoint.

Comment

• Here is an article from the Grand Valley State student news released today (11-29-2021). https://lanthorn.com/86792/sports/mo...-a-move-to-di/

Comment

• Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
                    Here is an article from the Grand Valley State student news released today (11-29-2021). https://lanthorn.com/86792/sports/mo...-a-move-to-di/
                    Interesting. I am not sure if it matters a whole lot. Everyone "isn't going anywhere" till just before they move

Comment

• They filled up 3 whole pages regarding GVSU and D1-FCS over on the GLIAC board since our discussion here.

Comment

• All the talk over there is crazy. Gotta think the GVSU thing is going to happen. May drop in may or june after spring sports are done.

also unrelated, but former GMAC now NAIA school Ohio Valley announced they are closing up shop. Basically told thier student to wrap up fall classes and don't come back in the spring.

https://wvmetronews.com/2021/12/08/o...hools-closure/

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post
                            All the talk over there is crazy. Gotta think the GVSU thing is going to happen. May drop in may or june after spring sports are done.

also unrelated, but former GMAC now NAIA school Ohio Valley announced they are closing up shop. Basically told thier student to wrap up fall classes and don't come back in the spring.

https://wvmetronews.com/2021/12/08/o...hools-closure/

They were always in rough shape even back before they left. Frankly, I was surprised they didn't die out to COVID like Urbana

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
                              Haven't heard any official news since Northwood (joining G-MAC 2022-23) and Thomas More (joining G-MAC 2023-24) announcements.

USI announced its doing a D1 exploratory study.

Then, there are the GVSU rumors re FCS. There is a lot of smoke on that one, as multiple football recruits have said the GVSU coaching staff not only mentioned the move to FCS generically, but to the OVC specifically.
                              USI has now officially announced that it is going D1 (OVC). GVSU has not announced anything yet, but GLIAC poster say there is an awful lot of "smoke" and their hunch is that an announcement is coming.

I would say that UIndy is now on the clock. Do they stay GLVC, go D1, or move to the GMAC?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stea1th View Post

USI has now officially announced that it is going D1 (OVC). GVSU has not announced anything yet, but GLIAC poster say there is an awful lot of "smoke" and their hunch is that an announcement is coming.

I would say that UIndy is now on the clock. Do they stay GLVC, go D1, or move to the GMAC?
                                My move would be the GMAC, Indianapolis is a D1 heavy city already so trying to go D1 with both butler and IUPUI next door would be tough. The GLVC has just moved away from Uindy via expansions and closures.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X