Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The final standings for the 2021-22 LEARFIELD DII Directors' Cup were released earlier this month. These are All-Sports rankings, which are meant to recognize schools that achieve success in multiple sports. 9 G-MAC schools achieved national rankings. Future member Northwood also achieved a national ranking. At #18, Findlay was the top-ranked G-MAC program (and also won the G-MAC's All-Sports Presidents Cup this year).

The G-MAC has 6 schools that placed in the top 100 nationally (out of 306 DII schools). For comparison's sake, the G-MAC's bordering conferences had the following number of top-100 programs: GLVC - 7, GLIAC - 5, MEC - 1, PSAC - 8 (it should be noted that the PSAC has 18 members).

18 Findlay G-MAC 495.00
    44 Tiffin G-MAC 368.75
    46 Ashland G-MAC 368.00
    47 Walsh G-MAC 357.00
    64 Hillsdale G-MAC 298.50
    86 Cedarville G-MAC 236.00
    158 Lake Erie G-MAC 116.00
    214 Ohio Dominican G-MAC 50.00
    231 Trevecca Nazarene G-MAC 42.00

Comment

• Welcome to the G-MAC Timberwolves!
      Need to see if I can dig up a status on Thomas More.

Comment

• We'll find out on Thomas More by the 15th.

Comment

• Thomas More was accepted into the Division II membership process and will begin provisional year one in the Fall. Congrats Saints!

Comment

• (CRESTVIEW HILLS, Ky.)� Thomas More University announces that they have been granted provisional membership to the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division II, making them the only Division II University in Northern Kentucky/greater Cincinnati region.

Comment

• Good for them. I know they were not my favourite selection into the conference, but they seem to be turning things around after a rough few years around thier exit from D3.

Comment

• Nice coverage from the Cincinnati Enquirer.
                Thomas More will be the only NCAA Division II school in a large geographic radius when the university�s sports teams begin playing at that level beginning with the 2023-24 school year.

Comment

• Comment

• My final comments on the Thomas More addition (at least for now).

Based on posts, I probably like this addition more than most posters on here.

I like getting the G-MAC into the Cincy metro. I think there is big potential there for both TMU and the G-MAC. The G-MAC is now in the Cleveland, Columbus and Cincy metros (plus Nashville). I like that they help close the gap (a little) to TNU and KWC. Their NCAA III violations do not concern me at all. I read up on what they did. It was nothing egregious at all - they actually got in trouble for being caring/humane. I also like that they sponsor every single G-MAC sport - they have a lot of the lesser sports that the G-MAC needs numbers for: wrestling, M/W tennis, M/W golf, M/W bowling, M/W lacrosse, etc. Anyway - I'm good with TMU.

Comment

• I like the add from a KWC perspective. Any quality school we can add that's physically between us and most of the other members is a win on this end.

Comment

• Comment

• Just saw that Wilberforce University (right down the road from Cedarville) will be taking Thomas More's place in the NAIA Mid-South Conference. This surprised me a bit, as Wilberforce has less than 500 students and is not necessarily a "complete" athletic department. The Mid-South is traditionally a pretty solid NAIA conference - and Wilberforce does not seem to fit the MSC mold (1800-3500 student church-affiliated schools that have football). Upon further digging, it appears that the MSC is also losing two other schools (in addition to Thomas More). I've always viewed the MSC as one of the stronger and stable groupings of NAIA schools. With the recent developments, it seems like there might be some cracks developing in the MSC. Just something to keep an eye on, as there are a few MSC schools that are very G-MAC-like.

Comment

• I periodically check the enrollment numbers reported to the Dept of Education. As you can imagine, schools try to publicize the biggest enrollment number that they can. Usually, it's a case of the school advertising a number that includes part time students (many of which may only take one class). The Dept of Education tracks full-time undergrad students at the school (which is really the backbone of most schools). The difference between a school's advertised undergrad number and what they report to the DOE can be pretty dramatic. For instance, now defunct Urbana advertised that it had 1500-1800 undergrads for years. Meanwhile, the DOE only showed around 400-500 full time undergrads. It turns out that Urbana had a program with the local high schools that allowed kids to get college credits for a class they took at their high school. Did Urbana have 1500 students? I guess. But realistically, 1100 of them were high school students taking a class in their HS and not really adding to the vibrancy of campus. When Urbana closed, they had less than 500 full time students and almost all of them were student athletes. I'm not picking on Urbana - literally every school (including yours and mine) tries to make their enrollment number appear as healthy as possible to the outside world. So, with that said, below are the most recent numbers from the DOE for G-MAC schools. Remember that an athletic department often accounts for 300-600 students.

Ashland 2205, Cedarville, 3521, KWC 815, Lake Erie 649, Malone 848, Northwood 1358, ODU 851, Findlay 2138, Tiffin 1607, TNU 1679, Ursuline 519 (women only), Walsh 1522. Future Member Thomas More has 1322.

There are some pretty low numbers in there. Remember that an athletic department often accounts for 300-600 students. KWC and LEC have been in that ballpark for a while and seem to have rested there. If anything, their numbers might even be slightly up from where they bottomed out a few years ago. Malone's and ODU's numbers have definitely plummeted.

The DOE numbers are always a little delayed - so it's likely that these numbers are from the height of COVID. But even without COVID, it's still dangerous times out there for small schools.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
                              I periodically check the enrollment numbers reported to the Dept of Education. As you can imagine, schools try to publicize the biggest enrollment number that they can. Usually, it's a case of the school advertising a number that includes part time students (many of which may only take one class). The Dept of Education tracks full-time undergrad students at the school (which is really the backbone of most schools). The difference between a school's advertised undergrad number and what they report to the DOE can be pretty dramatic. For instance, now defunct Urbana advertised that it had 1500-1800 undergrads for years. Meanwhile, the DOE only showed around 400-500 full time undergrads. It turns out that Urbana had a program with the local high schools that allowed kids to get college credits for a class they took at their high school. Did Urbana have 1500 students? I guess. But realistically, 1100 of them were high school students taking a class in their HS and not really adding to the vibrancy of campus. When Urbana closed, they had less than 500 full time students and almost all of them were student athletes. I'm not picking on Urbana - literally every school (including yours and mine) tries to make their enrollment number appear as healthy as possible to the outside world. So, with that said, below are the most recent numbers from the DOE for G-MAC schools. Remember that an athletic department often accounts for 300-600 students.

Ashland 2205, Cedarville, 3521, KWC 815, Lake Erie 649, Malone 848, Northwood 1358, ODU 851, Findlay 2138, Tiffin 1607, TNU 1679, Ursuline 519 (women only), Walsh 1522. Future Member Thomas More has 1322.

There are some pretty low numbers in there. Remember that an athletic department often accounts for 300-600 students. KWC and LEC have been in that ballpark for a while and seem to have rested there. If anything, their numbers might even be slightly up from where they bottomed out a few years ago. Malone's and ODU's numbers have definitely plummeted.

The DOE numbers are always a little delayed - so it's likely that these numbers are from the height of COVID. But even without COVID, it's still dangerous times out there for small schools.

Ya, enrollment numbers can be tricky, especially in the world of online students. Urbana is probably a good example with a few hundred on campus, and the rest of the 1500 were probably online students from Franklin University (they were the final owners of the school and have a heavy online presence)

Comment

• Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X