Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KWC's enrollment has been in the 650-950 range ever since I was a student there from 1997-2001 and probably for quite some time before.

Comment

• Lake Erie at 649 is crazy. Do they have anyone at the school that doesn't go there to play a sport?

Comment

• Originally posted by unc4life View Post
        Lake Erie at 649 is crazy. Do they have anyone at the school that doesn't go there to play a sport?
        According to the DOE records, 438 of the 649 are student athletes. Of the remaining 200, many are in LEC's Equine Studies program - which has 3 different riding teams.

LEC is not alone in this by a long shot. There are a ton of small schools who are keeping the lights on due to student athlete enrollment.

I'm pretty in tune with this right now, as I've had a senior graduate 3 of the last 4 years. I started noticing that almost all my kids' friends were going to large, well-known schools. A few were going to community college first. The friends that went to small/obscure schools were going there to play a sport. Once you see the pattern, it's obvious.

The bottom line is that if HS kids' dreams of playing college sports ever fade, a lot of small schools are in big big trouble.

Comment

• I think the above is one of the key reasons the G-MAC schools banded together. At a small private school, your Athletic Department isn't just about sports - It very well may be the number one enrollment driver at the school. I guarantee you the president of a small school is more concerned about how many seats an Athletic Department fills than if they won the conference in a sport.
          It's not a coincidence that the G-MAC sponsors so many sports. Schools are adding bowling teams and lacrosse teams and men's volleyball teams. Several are now offering esports teams. Some have club rugby. A couple have equine teams. Each of those is an enrollment driver. D3s are doing the same thing. Even small D1s are doing it (there is a reason that the NEC sponsors more sports than the SEC does). Don't get me wrong - I still think every AD is trying to create winning teams and culture. It's just not the only thing they have to worry about. And playing other schools that are juggling the same things helps.

Comment

• I know this probably wont move the needle but Ashland is adding Men's and Women's bowling starting next year. I'm not sure why more colleges haven't added Bowling yet. Bowling has becoming increasingly popular especially in Ohio were it is now and OHSAA sponsored sport with state championships. On a side not Ashland High school has a very good Bowling program that will be sharing the same facility. Great recruiting source.

Comment

• The G-MAC is being progressive with mens bowling. They sponsor it, but the NCAA doesn’t sanction it (at least not yet).

Comment

• Conference is adding STUNT as a sport

Apparently Ashland, Tiffin and Ursuline already have teams. Walsh is adding the sport. Others are also apparently considering adding it.

https://greatmidwestsports.com/sports/STUNT
                Last edited by BlueBlood; 10-21-2022, 06:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
                  Conference is adding STUNT as a sport

Apparently Ashland, Tiffin and Ursuline already have teams. Walsh is adding the sport. Others are also apparently considering adding it.

https://greatmidwestsports.com/sports/STUNT
                  I had no idea this even existed until I saw the article on the website.

Comment

• Me either,

Comment

• OK, here's something I don't get. Browsing some of the rosters for other G-MAC teams, looking at Malone's roster they have 3 players listed on there that are graduate students. Majestic, Ernst and Butler. I know kids are supposed to be able to get an extra year due to Covid. But all 3 of those guys already took their extra year - last year. If you look at Majestic's bio and career stats, for example, they ALREADY list 5 seasons of stats for him. How does this work? Eh, just keep playing as long as you want, guys, Covid! ??? I'm genuinely baffled. Maybe there's a good reason for this but if so I'm definitely not aware of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by kdubnation View Post
                        OK, here's something I don't get. Browsing some of the rosters for other G-MAC teams, looking at Malone's roster they have 3 players listed on there that are graduate students. Majestic, Ernst and Butler. I know kids are supposed to be able to get an extra year due to Covid. But all 3 of those guys already took their extra year - last year. If you look at Majestic's bio and career stats, for example, they ALREADY list 5 seasons of stats for him. How does this work? Eh, just keep playing as long as you want, guys, Covid! ??? I'm genuinely baffled. Maybe there's a good reason for this but if so I'm definitely not aware of it.
                        The roster that I saw on their website is for 21-22.

Comment

• Ah, well then maybe I just looked at it wrong. It's weird because the label at the top says 2021-22 but the drop down selection defaults to 2022-23 ... but apparently doesn't automatically LOAD 2022-23 ... so I'm just going to assume I'm a dumb dumb and my rant was totally inaccurate.

Comment

• Rumor that I heard from a stranger and have no way of telling if it has any merit or not (Can't give a much bigger disclaimer than that).

I was wearing a Liberty Flames shirt the other day and a guy congratulated me on the big football win over BYU. I explained that it's my kids' school. "I went to a small Baptist college in OH" (my typical explanation because most folks haven't heard of Cedarville). He explained that he went to Campbellsville (a small Baptist college in KY) and says he wouldn't be surprised if our alma maters were in the same conference someday.

He knew all about the G-MAC, Thomas More, KWC, TNU, etc. He said that their NAIA conference is imploding and that there is speculation that a couple of the larger schools (including Campbellsville) might go D2.

I almost didn't post this (I mean the info is from a complete stranger I talked to in a Pilot parking lot). However, he sure sounded like he knew what he was talking about - so here it is. It's not the first wild speculation to be posted on here.

I did at least do some due diligence. The part about the NAIA conference checks out. I looked up the Mid-South NAIA conference - and they have indeed lost 3 members in the last month or so. So that part checks out.

Has anybody heard anything similar?

Comment

• So, I just did a little more research. The Mid-South is actually losing 4 members before next year (including Thomas More). And their commissioner just resigned last week. So, the "imploding" comment does seem on target.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
                                So, I just did a little more research. The Mid-South is actually losing 4 members before next year (including Thomas More). And their commissioner just resigned last week. So, the "imploding" comment does seem on target.
                                They have added some teams as well so I don't know about "imploding." Three have joined since 2020 while 4 have left.

However, I have said many times on here that I have hope that the GMAC could get to a 16-team conference split North/South with I-70 as the divider. That would mean 3 teams along/south of that line need to be added.

Always hoped Cumberland U would try again as a "running mate" of Trevecca and a KY school (Georgetown or Campbellsville) for KWC. With addition of Thomas More we need a partner for them, either Indy or Georgetown (if Campbellsville also joins).

Back in 2014/2015 when Georgetown and Cumberland tried to move up last time, we heard rumors that the GLVC and GLIAC were against them because they hoped to hobble the future of the GMAC. If true, they failed and it's future is secure so there may not be as much opposition to more NAIA schools moving up.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X