Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some thoughts from the KWC fans on the thread. Does anyone know any info about the KWC exit from the GLVC when the GMAC formed? I have to think at the time on of the main reasons was travel at the time, but since then, the geography has become more friendly to KWC in the GLVC. Do KWC fans think they would be a better fit back in the GLVC?

Also, interesting idea for the TNU crowd, the Peach Belt just lost Young Harris to Conference Carolinas. Would TNU be interested in a move to the Peach Belt or the Gulf South (if they would take them)?

Comment

• Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post
      Looking for some thoughts from the KWC fans on the thread. Does anyone know any info about the KWC exit from the GLVC when the GMAC formed? I have to think at the time on of the main reasons was travel at the time, but since then, the geography has become more friendly to KWC in the GLVC. Do KWC fans think they would be a better fit back in the GLVC?

Also, interesting idea for the TNU crowd, the Peach Belt just lost Young Harris to Conference Carolinas. Would TNU be interested in a move to the Peach Belt or the Gulf South (if they would take them)?
      TNU wouldn't be a much better geographic fit in the Peach Belt than they are in the GMAC. The GSC is really the only conference that's better.

Comment

Looking for some thoughts from the KWC fans on the thread. Does anyone know any info about the KWC exit from the GLVC when the GMAC formed? I have to think at the time on of the main reasons was travel at the time, but since then, the geography has become more friendly to KWC in the GLVC. Do KWC fans think they would be a better fit back in the GLVC?

I'm not sure losing Bellarmine, USI and, potentially, Indy makes GLVC more attractive geographically.

KWC left for 2 reasons:

1) Conference expansion further into MO (now Iowa) and away from Great Lakes
        2) Inability to field competitive teams across all sports against state schools and well funded, larger private schools.

Neither issue has changed.
        Last edited by WKYDave; 11-20-2022, 10:26 AM.

Comment

• The G-MAC has a number of schools adding both Men's and Women's Lacrosse. This really solidifies the sport for the conference - at least numbers-wise.

On the women's side, only Ashland, Findlay, LEC, Tiffin and Walsh currently have teams. However, Thomas More will bring an existing team with it when it joins the G-MAC. Malone, Northwood and Trevecca are adding teams. That's 9. If Ursuline re-establishes their team (which they say they are), then that is 10.

On the men's side, only LEC and Walsh had teams last year (Men's lacrosse has survived by having a bunch of associate members from the PSAC and the MEC). Malone is joining this year. Thomas More will bring a team. Northwood and Tiffin are adding teams. That is 6 G-MAC schools with teams - so the G-MAC would not be reliant on the associate members. I don't think there is any reason to break up the G-MAC/MEC/PSAC men's lacrosse grouping - but it did create a vulnerability for the G-MAC, as the PSAC and the MEC both had more teams playing G-MAC lacrosse than the G-MAC did. The new teams coming in really solidifies it as a G-MAC product.

Comment

• Got some info via TNU buddy - buddy went to a function where their AD spoke. BTW - I really like their AD. I've heard him on radio interviews several times. I've probably learned more about the innerworkings and trajectory of the G-MAC from those interviews than any other source.

State of the G-MAC: The AD said the growth the conference has seen in number of members, sports sponsored, and overall competitiveness is unreal. TNU (and him personally) was there at the formation of the conference, and he has witnessed the progression firsthand. Great relationships and alignment in thinking. He specifically stated that he expects UIndy will move to the G-MAC if they choose to stay in D2. (BTW - he has never shied from mentioning schools by name - I remember him saying "we think Ashland will be joining" on a radio show when it was only a message board rumor and the majority thought it would not happen).

State of TNU in the G-MAC: The AD loves everything about the G-MAC other than the distance between it and the rest of the conference. Friend said the AD definitely had some strain in his voice when talking about the distance issue. There is definitely some travel burnout. The AD mentioned that the OH additions to the conference aren't just in OH, they are in Northern OH. Obviously, the MI additions are even further for TNU. Thomas More addition helps, but it's still a big gap. AD stressed that TNU does not naturally fit in any D2 conference footprint - they would be on the fringe of any existing conference if they moved (I've heard him say this myself several times). Although the AD talked pretty openly about everything else, he only mentioned that TNU is considering all options regarding future affiliations and did not talk specifics.

Comment

• Nice weekend of basketball for the GMAC. One the women's side 4 team (Ashland, Malone, KWC, Trevecca Nazarine) earned spots in this weekend NCAA reginal tournament, double the amount of both the GLIAC and the GLVC. Meanwhile on the men's side Ashland and Hillsdale both get top 4 seeds. Hoping for a good showing for the GMAC this weekend. When you add in Thomas More next year who also has a very good basketball program, the future is bright for GMAC basketball.

Comment

• It's been a good couple weeks for the conference.

Obviously, a huge congrats to Ashland Womens Basketball for winning the National Championship this weekend. An undefeated season with a trophy at the end is crazy amazing. I caught some of it on CBS Sports Network. The players and coach really represented Ashland well. The state of G-MAC women's basketball seems to be very strong. Next year Thomas More comes into the fold and they were runners up in NAIA this year and NAIA Champs last year.

In addition, I saw the below headlines the past couple weeks:

Wrestling - Tiffin's Donathan is National Champion at 141 lbs.
                Swimming- Findlay's Garcia Wins National Championship in 200 Breaststroke
                Track and Field - Findlay's Fintel Wins Women's Shot-Put National Championship

Congrats to All !!!

Hopefully I didn't miss anything.
                Last edited by BlueBlood; 04-06-2023, 09:12 AM.

Comment

• Hillsdale MBB Coach Tharp has been promoted to Athletic Director; I wonder who will be their new coach
                  https://hoopdirt.com/hillsdales-thar...-of-athletics/

Comment

• Originally posted by kdubnation View Post
                    Hillsdale MBB Coach Tharp has been promoted to Athletic Director; I wonder who will be their new coach
                    https://hoopdirt.com/hillsdales-thar...-of-athletics/
                    https://twitter.com/HCChargers/statu...744231936?s=20

Comment

• Ah, well there ya go. Good that they promoted from within instead of doing the whole "national search" thing. Have to think their associate HC will be pretty good in the HC role.

Comment

• Curious if there's any word on further conference expansion in the GMAC. Recently have been thinking about the lower standard of most sports in PSAC as the state school system continues to crater and funding wipes, and wonder if the associate schools you already have better fit the GMAC profile for all sports.

Are there rumors that schools like Hurst, Seton Hill, and Gannon may make a move? Would these programs be of interest in the league. It's wild as a former GLIAC fan to see so many of these programs now in the GMAC. Seems like a lot of natural rivalries that would have better competition than a large part of the PSAC.

Comment

• I'm not sure that any further expansion is really needed/valuable (right now). With Thomas More coming in next year, that is 14 schools (14 with women's sports, 13 with men's). 10 play football. The conference sponsors 26 sports. At this point, if you add more schools, it may become more of a de-stabilizing force than a stabilizing one. If UIndy decides to commit to D2 and wants to be G-MAC, sure add one. But overall, 14 seems like a good place to pause.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheMadLibs View Post
                            Curious if there's any word on further conference expansion in the GMAC. Recently have been thinking about the lower standard of most sports in PSAC as the state school system continues to crater and funding wipes, and wonder if the associate schools you already have better fit the GMAC profile for all sports.

Are there rumors that schools like Hurst, Seton Hill, and Gannon may make a move? Would these programs be of interest in the league. It's wild as a former GLIAC fan to see so many of these programs now in the GMAC. Seems like a lot of natural rivalries that would have better competition than a large part of the PSAC.
                            I think a more likely scenario would be the PSAC losing a few school to consolidation, and then the PSAC pulls a few away from the MEC, namely West Liberty and Fairmont State. I think the future of GMAC membership probably includes Uindy and NDC (they just make too much sense) and KWC and TNU moving on (KWC to GLVC maybe, TNU to GSC or Peach Belt)

Comment

I think a more likely scenario would be the PSAC losing a few school to consolidation, and then the PSAC pulls a few away from the MEC, namely West Liberty and Fairmont State. I think the future of GMAC membership probably includes Uindy and NDC (they just make too much sense) and KWC and TNU moving on (KWC to GLVC maybe, TNU to GSC or Peach Belt)
                              Hmm, maybe. PSAC schools HATE that they added in private schools from PA. I'm not talking fans, I'm talking admins. Struggle to believe that they they'd go outside of the state if not to try to first pull in hbcu in east first, but who knows. KWC not being in the glvc will always fk with my head. And yes, UINDY and NDC definitely make more sense. How your hq is in indy but no school is... That's wild man! And agreed, TNU seems likely to bolt shortly to gsc or peach belt. I'd guess gsc first but regardless, cannot comprehend the thrill of trips up to the middle of of Michigan on a d2 budget!

Thanks for entertaining me!

Comment

• NDC is very happy in the MEC(I don't get it either). UIndy has to decide whether or not they are committed to D2 for the long term which is doubtful.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X